If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Will an Ecobee3 save me money and add features?

mrkwkkrnmrkwkkrn IndianapolisMember

Hi,

I have a brand new G9MAE (Heil brand) furnace, and we will be getting a heat pump (instead of an AC unit). Not sure on the model yet though. Our contractor installed a basic honeywell programmable thermostat, and while it works, it's ugly and I don't like it.

I am very interested in the Ecobee3, but I am wondering if it is worth the price to upgrade, considering our equipment is brand new. What will it offer me vs a basic thermostat that I have programmed? Our home is older, so I do like the fact that you can add sensors in different rooms.

Two specific questions though:

1. Will the Ecobee3 automatically switch the heat pump from heating to cooling, and vice versa, as the temperature rises and falls throughout the day?

2. We have iphones, so I see they have an apple homekit version. Can this model still connect with other smartthings? Or is it strictly apple?

3. Any other recommendations better than Ecobee3? Something that could integrate with an alarm system?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Answers

• MikeyAMikeyA TorontoMember

Hey @mrkwkkrn
    I can help you with your questions.

1. The ecobee can be put into a AUTO mode, which means you'll have both a heat set point and a cool set point. The ecobee will be able to switch between the heat and the cool depending if that indoor temperature goes above or below any of those set points.

2. The ecobee3 can connect to many different Home Automation devices. Here's a list of them here: https://www.ecobee.com/ecobee-partnerships/

3. Ecobee only focuses on controlling your Heating/Cooling equipment. But if you have a home alarm that connects to any of the Home Automation devices listed above, then you might see some functionality with that setup (I.E. Home Alarm and the ecobee would be under the Wink hub, just an example.)

I hope this information helps!

• kevin_mcckevin_mcc 61455Member

Ecobee3 has many features the basic Honeywell doesn't have that will save you money. I got my Ecobee3 specifically to help save money, give me more control, and convenience of remotely accessing my thermostat on my Android phone.

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember
    edited April 2016

While it can save you money, it can also cost you more money. If you put a remote sensor in a room that is cooler than the rest of the house, then your heat will engage more frequently and over heat the other rooms. It all depends on your equipment/house/setup. I've saved about 10% on my heating bills compared to my programmable thermostat. Now I have the E3 linked to smartthings to know when we are home vs. away to set the thermostat accordingly. This should provide a bit more savings.

gpzbc
  • shabbyshabby ehMember

The only way any thermostat will save you money is if you use the furnace less often.
    So if your current thermostat is set to lower the temps when your not at home, increase them when you get back home and lower them when you go to sleep, and if you program the ecobee the same then you won't see any savings.

• kevin_mcckevin_mcc 61455Member
    Answer ✓

@shabby said:
    The only way any thermostat will save you money is if you use the furnace less often.

True, but not exactly true. Will save you money by running the most expensive heating and cooling less often. I got my Ecobee3 for cost saving because I could use simultaneous operation, reverse staging, and lockouts for AUX had more range.