If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Manual adjustment overriding remote sensor selections?

I have an ecobee3 installed on the main floor and a remote sensor upstairs in the bedroom. During the day, on the home profile, I have only the ecobee3 itself set as an active sensor. At night, during the sleep profile, I have only the remote sensor upstairs selected. This works exactly as I expect when everything is done automatically: During the day, the Android app and ecobee3 shows the temperature of only itself on the main screen, and at night it shows and uses only the temperature of the remote sensor.

However, I have noticed that if I make a temporary manual adjustment during the Sleep profile, the temperature display begins showing and using the average of my 2 sensors, instead of sticking with just the remote sensor as the profile is configured to do. This makes the manual adjustment useless in this case. It also seems to take some time before it reverts back to properly displaying the remote sensor's temperature even after I have cancelled the manual adjustment.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior and is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

briansusername

Answers

• I asked ecobee support and they said that this is expected behavior and that all sensors are placed into active participation status during a manual change. This doesn't make any sense to me and I don't know why anyone would want this behavior.

My sleep profile is set to use only the sensor in the bedroom because there is often a several degree difference between the second floor and the first floor. So, if my Sleep profile is set on 68 and my ecobee is reading 72 and the bedroom sensor is reading 68 and i then make a manual adjustment to 69, the system will actually average these and get 70, which is higher than the 69 I asked for and not call for heat at all.

Does anyone else find this to be a bizarre way to handle this or am I missing something?

• gpzbcgpzbc Colorado, USAMember
    edited March 2016 Answer ✓

I find this bizarre too. I asked ecobee support about it and they confirmed that that is intended behavior. As it is now, there is no way to manually change the temperature while inside of a scheduled comfort setting without editing the comfort setting. I suggested that when making manual changes, we should have the option to specify which sensors to use and not to default to all of them. He said they are working on adding this feature. I'm not sure what that means.

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember
    Answer ✓

I agree. This seems to be a ridiculous way to implement manual changes.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

Yeah, this makes 0 sense.

• biovirusbiovirus Reno, NVMember
    edited March 2016 Answer ✓

We were not able to sleep the whole night because of this. Our bedroom is quite small and heats up fast. By manually changing the tempertature during sleep cycle two degrees up my wife triggered that whole thing with averaging other sensors in the zhouse INCLUDING the thermostat sensor that we NEVER use in any of our "activities" because the damn thing is influenced by the air coming out of the hole in the wall that the thermostat wires come from and it's a garage wall! Also after two hours of the manual action expired IT NEVER properly recovered- so while the "sleep" tempertaure was set to 70, with only the bedroom sensor that should be active - the thermostat was still averaging and pumping heat to 78! Pushing buttons at 2am asleep was not succesful of course, so after 4 hours of falling asleep and waking up in sweat several times - here we are at almost 6 am - exhausted, with huge headaches and frustrated. What irritates me the most is that the system still shows that only the bedroom sensor as active - while the temperature is pumped full 8 degrees above it which confused me the most when I tried to figure out what the hell was going on. It was a torture plus the fact that there is no "Sleep and hold" function that could have quickly provided the fix at least for the night. I have to say that doing programming for more than 40 years myself seldom do I see such a set of stupid bugs - both programming and system - programming - because while several sensors are actively averaged, only one is shown as active and also a system bug because nobody in his right mind would call this behaviour of averaging all sensors just because someone wanted to temporarily get warmer - anything but crazy. The whole idea that you need to be afraid of such stupidity if you want to get your bedroom warmer for couple of hours - is scary. Again - two people, no sleep, whole work day ahead of us. If my QC guys would allow such thing to go into distribution they would forget about their bonuses for quite some time. But then again - we take pride in our work

KRUZNBYbriansusernamemcluvin
  • @MikeyA This sounds like something your guys might want to look into.

gpzbc
  • a2ma2m CO, USMember
    edited April 2016

Hi,

I also had this issue, I work around this issue creating Comfort Profiles with the Sensor(s) and Temperature(s) I want to use and when require activate them using IFTTT.

Not ideal, best would be through the app and thermostat:

• Being able to select a Comfort Profile in the same way we override temperature
    • As mentioned, being able to set a temperature/sensor(s) combination
  • MikeyAMikeyA TorontoMember
    Answer ✓

Hey guys, this is something ecobee support hears a lot about. Currently when you put the thermostat into a manual Hold, whatever is set for sensor participate will be overridden to whatever is set for sensor participation in your Home comfort setting. We have gotten some feedback on having it follow the sensor participation from comfort setting to comfort setting even if it's been put into a hold. This is all great feedback that I can pass over to our development team to show up much people want this feature.

gpzbcSenraethbriansusername
  • a2ma2m CO, USMember

@MikeyA Thanks for the feedback, I did not know that the Home Comfort Profile Sensors were the ones used to manually override a Profile, I thought it was an overall sensor reading.

• Has there been any progress on this? It makes the manual hold completely useless and downright dangerous. The other night someone in my home set a manual hold of +1 degree, which ended up actually increasing the temperature by 5 degrees in the desired room where our baby was sleeping.

• a2ma2m CO, USMember

@Senraeth said:
    Has there been any progress on this? It makes the manual hold completely useless and downright dangerous. The other night someone in my home set a manual hold of +1 degree, which ended up actually increasing the temperature by 5 degrees in the desired room where our baby was sleeping.

For the moment you might consider adding a PIN to your thermostat so only authorized people who understand how the hold/sensor/profiles combination works can override your settings.

MikeyA
  • While I appreciate the sentiment, it is absolutely absurd that this situation can even occur and should be considered a high priority bug, in my opinion.

• a2ma2m CO, USMember
    edited June 2016

@Senraeth said:
    While I appreciate the sentiment, it is absolutely absurd that this situation can even occur and should be considered a high priority bug, in my opinion.

Though I agree that this could have a higher priority, I would not bet on it as currently is behaving as designed, the thread was created 4 months ago, like others I provided some feedback in April, and I do not think this will change in the short term.

Per your description, in your case this behavior may be a hazard, therefore my suggestion, better safe than sorry.

m2c

• schneidschneid ChicagoMember

I just installed my Ecobee3 and have the same issue.

I agree that we need a way to a temperature hold for a particular sensor combination, or at least set the temperature hold for the currently active sensors.

@MikeyA said:
    Hey guys, this is something ecobee support hears a lot about. Currently when you put the thermostat into a manual Hold, whatever is set for sensor participate will be overridden to whatever is set for sensor participation in your Home comfort setting. We have gotten some feedback on having it follow the sensor participation from comfort setting to comfort setting even if it's been put into a hold. This is all great feedback that I can pass over to our development team to show up much people want this feature.

Making a wild guess that there's been no progress on this...

@MikeyA ?

• kris27kris27 Stamford,CTMember

I have the same issue. My upstairs bedrooms record temps 80 and 82. Lower floor sensors record 74 and 76. Upstairs sensors are active only during sleep mode and when I want to manually lower the temp setting further, all sensors are active. This intact turns off the thermostat because avg temp has now increased.

In addition, turning off manual mode still keeps all sensors active and I have to manually enable and disable to make my bedroom sensors only active.

I hope Ecobee fixes this soon or I pull out my old manual thermostat from the attic.

• vajimvajim VirginiaMember

Help me understand for I feel I may be experiencing the same problem. What would you like Ecobee to do to fix this problem?

• I would like Ecobee to not change the active sensors when you make a manual temperature adjustment.

It does not make any sense that when I go to change the temperature a degree or two, I'm actually changing which sensors the temperature is being read from without my knowledge or consent, which is the current behavior.

• vajimvajim VirginiaMember

Thanks. For me the manual temperature adjustment has not been a problem for I've not had to touch my Ecobees.

• yakabudayakabuda WIMember

No wonder I've been fighting my thermostat at night. I have been too half-asleep to investigate further, but if it's averaging in the living room temperature when I expect to be adjusting the bed room temperature that's totally consistent with my struggle. What a ridiculous design choice. For what possible reason would they design everything around scheduled comfort settings and then intentionally revert every manual hold to one fixed setting? Maddening.

Honestly it makes me sick every time I see this thread resurface. How can Ecobee let such an egregious bug persist? It defeats the primary reason for having an Ecobee in the first place. Fortunately my temperature difference between sensors is rarely more than 3F. If it were greater I can't imagine trying to explain to the wife why adjusting the thermostat manually is a bad idea.

gpzbclannister80
  • makrovimakrovi ChicagoMember

+1 for making a change to this. If I didn't find this thread I would have been sitting there playing with the temperature adjustment forever!

lannister80
  • SOtYSOtY ILMember

I also would like to see this change. I've had simple Hunter thermostat with one remote sensor that allowed to chose which source of reading I want to use when setting hold manually. And I paid around $50 for it. So why device that cost me over $300 (with additional sensors) can't do it???

• Bumping it UP. Ecobee has a setting for HOLD Action such as "Until I change it " etc Perhaps they should add one more as "Until next scheduled activity - using this schedule sensor(s)", adjusting temperature setpoint for either Cool or Heat. Keeping Sensor, Fan control settings, etc. This temporary change should reset on the next schedule. If you need something more permanent - change your schedule settings.

• studio1930studio1930 Kansas CityMember

Yep, crazy that Ecobee lets bugs like this persist for years. Seriously, who would want to change their set temp but have different sensors start averaging? Nobody here. Using IFTTT to set a custom comfort profile doesn't help either since Ecobee uses the set temp of the custom comfort profile but ignores the sensor associated with that profile and just treats it as a temperature override/hold. Even the raw data download shows a Hold and not a new comfort profile. Only a scheduled comfort profile will work correctly. Okay, let me go reprogram a quick comfort profile and schedule it each time I'm slightly cold or hot. Yeah, right.

Does Ecobee listen to their customers or even use their own products?

lannister80
    edited October 2016

Just wanted to bump this up to the top again.

@MikeyA , how did it go when you gave our feedback on this topic to the dev team back in APRIL?

Does Ecobee listen to their customers or even use their own products?

No.

• sebdoansebdoan Australia Member

Please ecobee team fix this! You're customers are getting roasted at night and losing sleep because of this, yet you're doing nothing.

I have the same problem. To try to save on our heating costs my wife and I close the heater vents in the main living areas before we sleep. Our sleep profile only tracks the bedrooms. When my wife gets cold at night she picks up the phone on her bedside table and ups the temperature. The result of this is we are cooked alive in the bedroom because your silly programming tells it to measure the living areas temperature where the vents are all closed!!! I moved from the Nest thermostat to better control our bedroom temperature at night, however the way you've designed the software makes my wife to plead that we go back to the Nest despite it not having a remote sensor. It's just too many steps to dig into comfort settings whilst you're sleeping just to tweak the temperature!!!

50ae

@sebdoan said:
    Please ecobee team fix this! You're customers are getting roasted at night and losing sleep because of this, yet you're doing nothing.

I have the same problem. To try to save on our heating costs my wife and I close the heater vents in the main living areas before we sleep. Our sleep profile only tracks the bedrooms. When my wife gets cold at night she picks up the phone on her bedside table and ups the temperature. The result of this is we are cooked alive in the bedroom because your silly programming tells it to measure the living areas temperature where the vents are all closed!!! I moved from the Nest thermostat to better control our bedroom temperature at night, however the way you've designed the software makes my wife to plead that we go back to the Nest despite it not having a remote sensor. It's just too many steps to dig into comfort settings whilst you're sleeping just to tweak the temperature!!!

I can imagine what the conversation must be when you tell her to manually turn down the thermostat in order to increase the temperature in your bedroom. I guess alternatively you could bring all of the remote sensors to your bedroom at night.

edited November 2016

There are of course workarounds such as you mention and setting temperatures in the comfort setting. This approach would be understandably fine for a niche product. The ecobee is however not a niche device as it competes directly with Nest! Given ecobee's ambitions to be a mass market product, I think it's not entirely unreasonable they fix this flaw urgently. At the very least provide some advanced settings to dictate this behaviour.

I lived in total confusion being roasted for 2 weeks till I found this thread. Ecobee's website does little to help users experiencing this issue. Given the number of people complaining on this thread it's clearly something ecobee know of yet have done nothing, not even a comment for months. This is poor form.

KRUZNBY