If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Sensor temp readings are off

bryan9915bryan9915 OhioMember

I recently installed an E3 in my home and today went to activate the remote sensor. It all set up fine but there is a difference in the temperature reading. At first I thought it was because I was holding it. So I balanced it on top of the main unit and it has been consistently reading 4 degrees Fahrenheit higher then the main unit. I do not have a external thermostat to test but I believe the sensor to be the one that is incorrect just by feel of the room. Is this a bad sensor or is there a way to calibrate it.

Answers

• EcocechEcocech MontrealMember

That's strange, my current E3 reads more than my sensors, my 1st gen E3 had the same offset. I think others here have also experienced the same and have concluded that the display may generate the extra heat. If your sensor is reading hotter, then there may be an issue with your sensor.

Btw, does your E3 temp fluctuate when the system starts? Where the temp drops? This is also a known issue and is due to a possible draft behind the wall your E3 is on, you will need to plug the hole behind it that has your wires through.

• bryan9915bryan9915 OhioMember

Yes the sensor is higher. And no there doesn't seam to be a fluctuation when the system starts.

• EugEug ChicagoMember

All 3 of my sensors read higher than the E3 in the hallway. My old thermostat reads higher than the E3 unit itself as well. Many here have made certain the holes behind it are plugged to stop drafts and some have even tapped up the bottom vent on it to get it to be more accurate. I've just stopped using it for any sensor activity and rely upon the remotes.

• bryan9915bryan9915 OhioMember

Thanks for the tip. However I think the E3 is reading fine or close to it. It said 68 and the sensor said 73. Just standing in the room I could tell it was not 73. I do want to get another thermostat to verify though.

• EugEug ChicagoMember

@bryan9915 said:
    Thanks for the tip. However I think the E3 is reading fine or close to it. It said 68 and the sensor said 73. Just standing in the room I could tell it was not 73. I do want to get another thermostat to verify though.

What temp does your old thermostat say it is?

• CheezWizCheezWiz TennesseeMember

The ecobee produces its own heat, so sitting the sensor on top of it is a bad idea.

Hang it below the ecobee with a couple of rubber bands. Anything placed on top of the thermostat is likely to read a bit high.

lannister80
  • I tested the room temp with the old thermostat, and the main ecobee and the old thermostat read the same temp. Ecobee is sending me a new sensor. Thanks for everyone's help.