If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Away For Now hold and Smart Home/Away motion detection

jjflysjjflys ColoradoMember

Just installed the ecobee3 and have been enjoying it so far. Found out that the Smart Home/Away "Away" function only works if there is no motion for 2+ hours and that can't be changed, so will probably use the "Away for Now" hold on the quick changes screen when we leave the house before the scheduled away time. My schedule is set up like this:

6am Home
8am Away
5pm Home

Let's say I leave at 7am, and I use the app to select "Away for now" which institutes the "Away for now" hold. My question is what happens if someone comes home at 2:30PM- the motion sensors would sense motion I'm assuming, but would they turn off the "Away for now" hold and kick in the Smart Home/Away "Home" function automatically?

If ecobee would let us change the default 2+ hours without motion before the "Away" function automatically kicks in to something shorter that would avoid this problem all together as I wouldn't even worry about selecting "Away for now".

briansusername

Answers

• CheezWizCheezWiz TennesseeMember

If you set holds to expire at next transition, then the hold in your example would drop off at 8 AM to away mode. Then when someone arrived at two, they need do nothing. However, if everyone was late getting home, it would have still resumed home at 5 and run for 2 hours minimum.

• Temperature holds work that way - you can set them to expire in 2 hours, 4 hours, until he next transition, or until I change it.

Away for now and Home for now (in the quick changes menu) don't work that way. They are always indefinite holds. I would love to have the same choices for those. I don't know why they don't work the same.

@CaseyEcobee do you know why the quick change menu doesn't give hold time options like temperature overrides do? Could that be changed?

gpzbcricardoruiz
  • CaseyEcobeeCaseyEcobee TorontoMember

Hi @briansusername - thanks for the input. For now, this isn't something we're changing, but I've got my eyes on this thread.

• Personally, when I set "Away for now" I would like to see the motion sensors "resume schedule" when triggered. If I want to set a "Hold" I do it by dragging the temp on the main screen and selecting "until I change it". I don't think I have aver used "Home for now".

briansusername
  • NOLA96NOLA96 New OrleansMember

I would love the "Away for now" to be customizable. Also I have been wanting to shorten the smart away time for over a year now. Come on Ecobee, everything else is great with the unit.

briansusername
  • @briansusername said:
    Temperature holds work that way - you can set them to expire in 2 hours, 4 hours, until he next transition, or until I change it.

Away for now and Home for now (in the quick changes menu) don't work that way. They are always indefinite holds. I would love to have the same choices for those. I don't know why they don't work the same.

I wouldn't mind if those can be optionally set up differently, but from my perspective the way it works now is correct.

For me the "Away for now" button means "I'm leaving, possibly going out of town. Don't run my normal schedule until I tell you otherwise". I don't want the Away button to assume my preference for Holds, which is to hold only until the next scheduled change. If I'm feeling a little cold I might bump up the heat, I don't want that quick minor temperature change to mean that I have to intervene later to keep my regular schedule going. All of this, by the way, is how the Nest works by default.

So if we do add the ability for Away to resume on the next schedule change, please make sure it's configurable separately from the default hold.

All that said, I like that we have the option to set a temp and hold it, but I don't like the way it's implemented. I wish there were simply a "Hold current temperature" button that I could tap after making a temporary change. It could even be in a "More" menu or something. I don't want the thermostat asking me what to do every time I want to do a simple temperature change, but I also shouldn't have to reconfigure the thermostat if I want to, on rare occasion, lock the temperature indefinitely.

• I find that I don't use the Away for Now or Home for now features simply because they are indefinite holds and that seems rather manual for what is supposed to be a "smart" thermostat. If I was to use it that way, I might as well save my money and go back to one of those 30 year old manual thermostats that now only cost about $20, turning it down when I leave and up when I return. I too want the option to decide the behavior for how the Away for Now or Home for Now settings terminate. And like djrobx, I agree it should be configurable separately from the default hold. That way, it can still be set to "until I change it" for for those who want it to behave as an indefinite hold and one of the other settings for those of us who want it to be a little "smarter". This thermostat has a lot of potential, but right now I'm surprised by how much the software is limiting it's potential.

gpzbc
  • yracineyracine Montreal, Quebec (Canada)Member

Hi, with a SmartThings hub and your ecobee connect to ST, it's possible to reduce the time to few minutes (customizable on a room by room basis in my zoned Heating/Cooling solutions). You can use any use real time motion sensors (not the ecobee's remote sensors as their motion capability is limited). For example, the Iris Motion/Temp sensors (2nd gen) or the SmartSense sensors are the best ones.

Refer to

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-my-ecobee-device-v5-the-smartest-thermostat-under-st-with-new-comfort-tips-features-and-unique-integration-with-echo-ask-alexa/56534

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-new-version-of-my-zoned-heating-cooling-solutions-smart-vents/38349

Regards

Yves Racine
    http://ecomatiqhomes.com/store

• japrilejaprile VirginiaMember

I personally would love to see the smart functions be customizable.

I find that the 2 hour delay in activating smart away is a bit too long, and would prefer it to be closer to1 hour. If I am headed out to dinner with friends I may only be gone for 2-3 hours. I would rather the system identify that I am not home quicker rather than heat the house for no reason (I agree with a poster above who mentioned activating away for now is a little too manual for a smart thermostat).

Also the Smart Home would be nice if I could set that to closer to 30 minutes between the start of away and recognizing someone is home. I have had a couple times over the holiday where I have been home from work and the hour delay it took to realize I'm home was a bit much as it got down right cold before I realized it was Monday...

Otherwise its been great, the Smart home function in the middle of the day is awesome!! Came home from work around 2pm and the system changed to smart home almost immediately...

gpzbc
  • ricardoruizricardoruiz TXMember
    edited January 8

@briansusername said:
    Temperature holds work that way - you can set them to expire in 2 hours, 4 hours, until he next transition, or until I change it.

CaseyEcobee do you know why the quick change menu doesn't give hold time options like temperature overrides do? Could that be changed?

@CaseyEcobee, I just installed two Ecobee 3's with 6 sensors and this is what I find the most annoying thing about my new "smart" thermostats. I have a daily "Away" schedule for when the whole family is out working or in school. BUT, some days I work from home. So, if I tell my Ecobee, "Home for now"... it really means "Home forever" if I forget to turn off the hold. It really should adhere to the setting used for temperature holds, which I set to "Until Next Change".

I would not use it at all if the Smart Home would trigger... but in the two hour delay allows my house to cool or heat too much..