If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ecobee3 - I need some wiring help - no c-wire and no panel

mentalreconmentalrecon New YorkMember
edited January 2016 in ecobee

I purchased an Ecobee3 thermostat and when I installed the unit, I noticed that I had an extra blue wire. My old thermostat was powered by batteries so I figured the blue wire was my common wire but that it was not connected to the panel.

Based on Ecobee's instructions, I realized that I needed to use the PEK or connect the blue wire to the C terminal on my panel. I opened the blower unit and I found a panel but it's unlike anything I've seen online and it does not have the traditional WYGRC terminals, etc. I also noticed a bundle of wires outside of the blower until that appear to be my thermostat wires but I am unsure how to proceed.

I created a gallery on Imgur - imgur.com/gallery/XtsKL/new

The last image shows the thermostat wire connected to others wires that run back inside the panel. I'd like to know one of two things:

1) Where to connect the blue wire so it can function as my common wire
2) How to connect the PEK to this mess

Thanks for reading this and I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Comments

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember

Need better shot of the connectors on the bottom right of board, and also specific model of air handler will help.

Guessing the brown and red wires come from the transform (black metal thing on left). Brown is probably the common and the Red is probably power. If you can check the AC voltage between them with a meter. Do note there are two browns, so don't be confused if they are different.

mentalrecon
  • mentalreconmentalrecon New YorkMember

@kevinmcc said:
    Guessing the brown and red wires come from the transform (black metal thing on left). Brown is probably the common and the Red is probably power. If you can check the AC voltage between them with a meter. Do note there are two browns, so don't be confused if they are different.

@kevinmcc, thank you so much!! You were correct. The brown wire was my common wire. I followed it outside the blower unit and I attached the extra blue wire (from the thermostat wire) to the brown/white bundle outside the blower unit and my Ecobee3 powered up. Thanks again for taking the time to review those photos and help me out. It's working great!

kevinmcc