If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ping timeouts on the Ecobee base unit?

rccolemanrccoleman San DiegoMember

I'm trying to track down what I think might be a network connectivity issue with my two Ecobees and I'm finding that they tend to drop packets when I use the "diagnostics" section on the Wifi menu. My two Ecobees have 89% and 75% signal (based on the info on the screen), but even pinging my wifi router (Asus AC68U) almost always drops one or two packets each time I run the test. It usually averages 30-50ms per ping (which is already really high), and there are almost always 1 or 2 really long ping times or timeouts in each test run. The behavior is exactly the same on both Ecobees, and they're located 1 floor apart and not really near each other.

In contrast, if I join my iPhone to the same wireless network and ping my router (using the fantastic "Fing" app), I get <10ms per ping and never drop a packet. This behavior is also consistent when I'm standing right next to each Ecobee, and my Macbook Pro has even faster ping times with no packet drops in the same locations.

I see the same packet loss on the Ecobee when I try to ping ecobee.com from the base unit, but I've been focusing on pinging my router to avoid any issues on my external network connection.

Has anyone else seen this sort of intermittent connectivity from your Ecobee? Would anyone mind trying it out on their device to see if the behavior is any different? I believe that you can find the ping options by going to menu->Settings->Wifi->Diagnostics.

Thanks,
Rob

Answers

• carveitupcarveitup Ontario, CanadaMember

I have had similar ping problems with my Asus rt-n56 router using tomato. Ecobee pushed a firmware update and it seemed to help. On 3.6.1.323 now.

• rccolemanrccoleman San DiegoMember

Appreciate the quick confirmation. Both of my devices are on 3.6.1.323, so I think there's still something wrong. I tried pinging my Ecobees from my iPhone and the ping times are all over the place. There are still consistently 2 pings in each test that are >1s, so I'm seeing the same issue coming and going.

Rob

• kevin_mcckevin_mcc 61455Member

@rccoleman said:
    Appreciate the quick confirmation. Both of my devices are on 3.6.1.323, so I think there's still something wrong. I tried pinging my Ecobees from my iPhone and the ping times are all over the place. There are still consistently 2 pings in each test that are >1s, so I'm seeing the same issue coming and going.

Rob

Could be caused by wireless interference. You maybe surprised what can interfere, microwave, Bluetooth, the neighbors WiFi, etc...

• I am experiencing disconnections with my Ecobee3.
    In the diagnostic, if I try to ping the router or any website, I get 8-9 timeouts out of 10 pings.

Same issue if I try to ping the Ecobee3. 90% packet loss.
    Some pings are >10s

I set the Wifi to static IP and fixed channel, but it is not helping.
    This is the only device with problems.

Can you ping your Ecobee3? can it ping the router?

• rccolemanrccoleman San DiegoMember
    edited December 2016

Pings to and from my Ecobees exhibit exactly the same periodic >1s pings and packet drops. No other device behaves this way, and I'm convinced that there's something wonky in their network stack. I can't attribute any bad behavior to the packet drops or long ping times, so I've basically given up trying to diagnose it. It doesn't seem like Ecobee cares about it either, so it is what it is.

• I tried a different router and it works much better.
    What router do you use?
    I used same channel, wpa password and network name. The thermostat connected with no problem.