If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

WiFi disconnect requiring power cycle to restore connectivity

ptr727ptr727 90266Member

Hi, I have two E3's, both have lost network connectivity, requiring a power cycle to get them connected again.

If I disable wifi in settings, and re-enable wifi, they stay disconnected.
If I try to redo the wifi setup, they fail to see any wifi.
Looks like the wifi communication just stops working.
They require a power cycle to come back up.

This has happened twice with one unit, and once with the other unit.
When it happened the first time Ecobee support pushed the 3.6.1.323 firmware to both units, it happened two more times after 3.6.1.323 was installed.

I have 5 x Ubiquiti UniFi AC access points in my house.
WiFi and internet connectivity is stable, no other devices have any connectivity problems.

I contacted Ecobee support again, have not yet heard back.

Anybody else with WiFi connectivity problems?

Comments

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

Huh, I've never had a single problem with my E3 and wifi. Hmmmm.

• ptr727ptr727 90266Member

Ecobee support asked me to create static IP reservations for the units on the DHCP server, which I did.

I doubt it will make a difference as it appeared to me the device wifi failed to connect rather than an IP acquisition problem, but we'll see.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

I have static IP reservations for most of my devices, but NOT for my E3. Never ever had a connectivity issue with it. It'll be interesting to see if this fixes your issue (although I doubt it). Probably flaky hardware.

• jeromecjeromec TorontoMember

ptr727, did static IP reservation fixes your problem?

I had the same issue for more than a month now. WiFi always disconnected and won't reconnect, until I turn off the ecobee3.

Sometimes it disconnected after 1 day of connection, sometimes a couple days.
    I'd check if my wifi is truly disconnected when I see the weather icon became a sad face, as sometimes, it could just be the device not able to connect to ecobee.com

Recently, it seems that every night there's a period of time that my ecobee couldn't connect to ecobee.com.

All my other wifi connected devices doesn't have issue with the wifi connection.

I am still trying a couple things out myself. I still haven't call the ecobee support yet.

I may check what firmware it is running tonight.

I told a picture of the log while ecobee couldn't connect, it seems that it tried to connect to ecobee.com and then failed, then it restarted the interface, then kept trying to reconnect without success.

• RiffRaffRiffRaff Austin, TexasMember

I've had this happen twice now. The first time I called support and they basically asked me to turn it off and then on again, The IT Crowd style, by removing it from the wall and then reconnecting it.

I checked my ecobee3 firmware version, and it was still on 3.6.0.x
    so I called the support this weekend, and they had 3.6.1.323 pushed to my device.

I also reserved the IP address for my ecobee3 mac in my router DHCP.

It is now running fine for 2 days, but still need to observe for more than a week. Previously, it could stay connect for 1-2 weeks max.

Static reservation did not work.
    Upstairs unit went offline again after a couple of days, requiring a power cycle.

Back to support :(

Ecobee went offline, on Oct 28, after being online for about 5 days. I did a power cycle, and it is still online today (5 days)

Just disconnected again, that makes it 5 times I had to power cycle, 3 times upstairs, twice downstairs.

Ecobee support is not responding to my emails, maybe their ticketing system does not reopen a case once closed, even if I continue emailing?

It went offline 3 times yesterday for me. I'd call the support number instead of emailing.

I recently upgrade the firmware of my wifi router and it seems to fixed the disconnecting issue. So I think the issue was my router. I was using DIR-835 for my router.
    However, It wasn't a problem with other smart devices, such as WeMo light switch, before I do the firmware upgrade though.

The problem was escalated to development, but no feedback.

I did discover the following; if the AP channel changes the e3 is stuck until a reboot.
    It seems the device is unable to cope with a channel change, either when connecting to a different AP on the same SSID, or when the AP changes channels in auto channel selection modes.

If i power on two AP's, on different channels but same SSID, and power on e3, and then power down that AP, and expect client to connect to other AP, e3 fails until reboot.

If i connect e3 to AP, and then change AP channel, e3 fails until reboot.

Any vanilla client should happily reconnect.

• @ptr727 said:
    The problem was escalated to development, but no feedback.

I did discover the following; if the AP channel changes the e3 is stuck until a reboot.
    It seems the device is unable to cope with a channel change, either when connecting to a different AP on the same SSID, or when the AP changes channels in auto channel selection modes.

If i power on two AP's, on different channels but same SSID, and power on e3, and then power down that AP, and expect client to connect to other AP, e3 fails until reboot.

If i connect e3 to AP, and then change AP channel, e3 fails until reboot.

Any vanilla client should happily reconnect.

What software version are you running with your UniFi APs? I have one UAP-PRO and the E3 runs rock solid.

I tested with Ubiquity (latest firmware) and with Xclaim/Ruckus (latest firmware) AP's.

With one AP on fixed channel no problem, as soon as there is more than one AP on different channels, or the channel changes, the unit fails to reconnect until reboot.

I suspect the problem is not AP brand specific but rather a problem with the unit when roaming between channels.

kevinmcc
  • kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember

Sounds like a bug Ecobee needs to fix. Many IoT device are designed to work with a single cheap consumer grade AP. There are all kinds of design considerations tossed out the window then the cheapen wifi up. I wish they'd start designing IoT devices around enterprise grade equipment as a standard.

• AnschutzAnschutz WinnipegMember

Something to consider is that microwave ovens can wreak havoc on wifi connections. If your router is broadcasting at 2.4GHz, try setting the router's wifi broadcast signal to 1, 11, 12, 13, 14. Avoid using channels in between (22 mHz range). Here's a diagram that helps to explain:

• mark1210mark1210 Dallas, TXMember

To the original poster, I also have 2 EcoBee 3s - and they were working rather well with the ISP supplied router for about a month. After a month, a enterprise grade access point was installed (Aruba IAP-225) and thats when the problems began. EcoBee support was quick to point the finger towards the AP and after I mentioned my second EcoBee was exhibiting the same behavior they simply wanted to RMA both thermostats. Fast forward 2 weeks later, same problem with the "new" thermostats.

I also was able to replicate the same behavior on an enterprise grade Ruckus R600 device as well. This time however, I spent an hour on the phone with Ruckus for a debugging session. The EcoBee appears to get into a hung state - the access point doesn't receive any requests at all from the EcoBee. This was confirmed by performing a "tail" in the console of the access point and viewing by MAC address - not a peep from the EcoBee. Physically removing the EcoBee from its base and reconnecting will cause it to connect at least temporarily.

The debugging session appears to point to a handoff problem when the AP changes the channel - the EcoBee appears to enter a hung state.

Turning off background scanning on 2.4 GHz has resolved the issue here for the past 2 weeks - though its certainly not ideal. The AP tech support recommended that I explore whether or not the thermostat supports 802.11h which is supposed to allow for seamless channel changes at the client level.

Long story short, when I contacted EcoBee with all this they went through some canned scripting and mentioned several times that the "EcoBee is not designed for industrial use"

Hope this helps someone.

Exactly my experience, the E3 craps out when the AP changes channels, or when it connects to a different AP on the same SSID but different channel.

This has nothing to do with "industrial use", this is just a buggy E3 WiFi driver.

See http://blog.insanegenius.com/2016/01/30/ecobee3-wifi-connection-troubles/

• cbstevekcbstevek CaliforniaMember

Sorry about responding to an old thread, but this one seems to be the one with the best info.

I've been having the same problem described here. After reading this and some other threads, instead of trying to reconnect on the same ssid and password, I used a different ssid with a different name (happens to be for the 2.4Ghz network). It connected just fine. I suspect the ecobee3 is confused if the network is the same but the channel changed (as several people described). I'm guessing with the new network name, it resets the connection. I expect it to fail again in a few weeks. I'll just try changing back to the original network (name).

• MikeyAMikeyA TorontoMember

This might solve your issue @cbstevek if both your 2.4GHz and 5GHz network was named the same. Keep us posted if it disconnects again!
    Thanks!