If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Official ecobee3 HomeKit Feedback Thread

12346»

Comments

• No need Mikey, Once I had time I did that. It's all working now... I should have posted back - sorry

• edited October 2016

Overall, I am very happy with the ecobee3. It is still, in my opinion, the best thermostat available. It would be great if ecobee would just update the documentation to keep up with the current HomeKit functionality.

• Any idea when the remote sensors will be supported in HomeKit?

• Well, once again things have crumbled on the HomeKit front for me. A few days ago, my HomeKit inexplicably reverted back to only having the ecobee thermostat but no sensors. I followed ecobee's instructions as far as removing it from HomeKit and adding it back with the ecobee app, but the problem remains. Is this how its just gong to be? It works for a few weeks and then it just doesn't? Very disheartening. And we never know if the problem is on our end or ecobee's or Apple.

• @Erockian said:
    Well, once again things have crumbled on the HomeKit front for me. A few days ago, my HomeKit inexplicably reverted back to only having the ecobee thermostat but no sensors. I followed ecobee's instructions as far as removing it from HomeKit and adding it back with the ecobee app, but the problem remains. Is this how its just gong to be? It works for a few weeks and then it just doesn't? Very disheartening. And we never know if the problem is on our end or ecobee's or Apple.

So your remote sensors show up in HomeKit?

• @john99 said:
    So your remote sensors show up in HomeKit?

They did for several weeks ever since Mikey pushed the FW update to me, and it was great. Then a few days ago they all disappeared.

• @Erockian said:

How did you get them in HomeKit in the first place? They just showed up or you had to add them in HomeKit using add accessory? As I've never been able to add them in.

Thanks

• It required nothing on my part. All it took was a firmware update. I took someone's advice on here to send MikeyA a private message requesting a firmware push. Once that went thru, voila... my sensors were in HomeKit waiting for me.

• I have two ecobee thermostats that I like except for the fact that almost every day at least one if not both of them loose connection with homekit. The easiest thing to fix this is to unplug the thermostats from the wall and then plug them back in. This lets them to connect again for s day or so.
    Will this ever be fixed?

• I'm having an awful time with HomeKit too.

Could people please report in on how it's been acting for you? When iOS 10 came out it was a nightmare. Then a FW update fixes it and everything's great. Then the next update eliminates all my sensors and I'm left with only the stat itself. And now the latest update completely removes the stat from HomeKit ("no response"). Beyond frustrating.

The HomeKit functions have only worked for me a total of two or three weeks since iOS 10 came out in September. Ecobee3 has so much potential, but the ecobee team seems to be incapable of fixing something without breaking five other things.

• Seeing the same thing, thermostat stops responding to HomeKit shortly after setting up. I opened a ticket with ecobee support, it would probably be helpful if everyone else who is having this problem could do the same. The more people report the same problem the more likely they are to accept that it's a real issue and not a problem with my router.

• @zhaian said:
    Seeing the same thing, thermostat stops responding to HomeKit shortly after setting up. I opened a ticket with ecobee support, it would probably be helpful if everyone else who is having this problem could do the same. The more people report the same problem the more likely they are to accept that it's a real issue and not a problem with my router.

Good idea. I would have done it already, but my prior experience with ecobee support was annoying, because the tech stopped reading after the first sentence and answered what they thought was my question. I reiterated my issue, and they still didn't read the entire issue. Ugh.

• New to the boards. Have had an Ecobee3 since July without many issues. I was working on some homekit stuff today and notice my sensors were not showing on the Home app on iOS. I read some stuff about resetting the homekit integration on ecobee and did that to no avail. I know the sensors use to show on the Home app but now only the main thermostat does.

Anyone know of another work around?

• @apb0703 said:
    New to the boards. Have had an Ecobee3 since July without many issues. I was working on some homekit stuff today and notice my sensors were not showing on the Home app on iOS. I read some stuff about resetting the homekit integration on ecobee and did that to no avail. I know the sensors use to show on the Home app but now only the main thermostat does.

Anyone know of another work around?

Welcome to the boards! Unfortunately we all seem to be in the same boat right now. I'm not sure why it takes months to fix something that was already working before, but that seems to be what we have to face.

• DZirzowDZirzow OhioMember

Agree, mine was working with HomeKit and now gone. Love the sensors when they work and integrated with the apps and HomeKit. About to start referring family to use Nest instead if this can't be resolved.... sad.

• According to ecobee a new firmware is suppose to fix this issue and was to be released shortly. This was like a week ago.

• DZirzowDZirzow OhioMember

Does ecobee automatically push the firmware updates to everyone or do you have to install/request updates?

• Happens automatically. I don't know how to tell when it gets updated or what changed though. Assuming @john99 is referring to the HomeKit disconnect issue? If so I wish whoever he's talking to at ecobee would talk to the guy that's assigned to my ticket, would save a lot of debug time.

• I read through some of this thread, and it is not clear if I should be seeing my remote sensors in HomeKit or not. I have two E3's that I see in HK, but none of their remote sensors. I have HK rooms with the same names as the remote sensors (kitchen, bedroom, etc.), and since I created those rooms in HK I can no longer ask Siri what the temperature is in those rooms. It would be great if I could get the remote sensors to show up in HK as part of the rooms.

• @toddrob said:
    I read through some of this thread, and it is not clear if I should be seeing my remote sensors in HomeKit or not. I have two E3's that I see in HK, but none of their remote sensors. I have HK rooms with the same names as the remote sensors (kitchen, bedroom, etc.), and since I created those rooms in HK I can no longer ask Siri what the temperature is in those rooms. It would be great if I could get the remote sensors to show up in HK as part of the rooms.

Here's the history. When iOS 10 launched, we had sensors in HomeKit, but they wouldn't show in the right rooms (everything listed as "default room"). Then they disappeared completely days later when a new FW update was rolled out. After many weeks another FW update finally fixed it (and the people rejoiced!). Then two or three weeks later, yet another update came out which killed the sensors again, astoundingly. Now we're going on months of not having sensors.

So since the launch of iOS 10, we've had a three week paradisiacal island within a three month sea of mediocrity... and the sea level is rising.

melodrama XD

pvr4me
  • I had success seeing the sensors with the elgato eve app. Plus they have some better automation controls.

• MSUAbilityMSUAbility MichiganMember

I am struggling to understand why Ecobee is not updating their online list of Siri commands to meet the realities of iOS 9 and 10. Perhaps they are not getting what they need from Apple? I have found that after about iOS 9 I lost the “list my thermostat temperature” command and now it seems that “what is my [sensor name] temperature is the replacement. The maddening thing to me is:
    1. Ecobee seems to not keep the command lists online up to date and my attempts to reach them by phone have resulted in long hold times and when I use the call me back feature, the callback never happens.
    2. I still have not found how to reliably “resume Schedule” as we used to. The command “I’m home” seems not to return the thermostat to a program mode as I think it should.
    3. The thermostat remains sort of unintelligent as manually adjusting the temperature with a command has the device stuck at that temperature until a new command is issued. In my opinion, a smart thermostat would return to running the program after a period of time otherwise the unit becomes an energy waster sticking with a comfort temperature that should be short-term.
    4. I am finding that SIRI commands stop working after a few days and the only fix is to unplug the thermostat and then plug it back in. I sure hope this is fixed soon.

• acaterinoacaterino IndianaMember

I've read through this entire thread and have also Googled for answers to my issues with no luck. I have also contacted Ecobee support with no help there (I can't wait hours on the phone for somebody to pick up or wait hours for a call back). So I'm hoping somebody here might have some suggestions. Here is my issue:

I have the the Ecobee 3 HomeKit version. I had it setup and working on my iPhone6+ when on my local network (never could get it to work remotely with Apple TV 3 as a hub). I upgraded to the iPhone7+ with iOS 10 and I was able to Reset the HomeKit on the tstat and reconnect it to the iPhone7+ and it was working the same as it was with the iPhone6+.

For some reason the tstat stopped working with HK and when I try to Reset HK on the tstat the reset option is no longer there. The software version on the tstat is 3.7.0.950. I've tried disconnecting the tstat from the base plate for 10 minutes, but that didn't work. Support email suggestion was to reboot the wireless and disconnect everything from the network except for the tstat. I rebooted my router, but I think it is unreasonable to disconnect everything from my network. To me the reset option should show irregardless of anything else. This seems to be a software glitch on Ecobee side.

Has anybody else seen this? Any suggestions?

• TonkaTonka EarthMember

@MikeyA said:
    See if you can reset Homekit on your ecobee. Just go into the Main Menu > Settings > Reset and select Reset Homekit if it's available. Once that's done, try reconnecting the ecobee through the ecobee app, not the Home app.

Any other things try to get the ecobee 3 to be seen on the ecobee app? I tried resetting Homekit at the ecobee 3 but I still don't see it on the ecobee app.

• MikeyAMikeyA TorontoMember

Hey @Tonka Are you not able to see the ecobee on your ecobee app at all? Or is it just not able to connect to Homekit through the ecobee app?

• TonkaTonka EarthMember

@MikeyA said:
    Hey Tonka Are you not able to see the ecobee on your ecobee app at all? Or is it just not able to connect to Homekit through the ecobee app?

I wasn't able to connect to HomeKit through the ecobee app. It worked fine on the app. I was able to solve the problem - I didn't have 2 factor authentication on. Once I changed that the reset made it show up in the app

• SidSid Member
    edited January 18

Hey guys first post here, and appreciate the help!
    I just installed 3 ecobees at my house. After setting them up on the Ecobee app, I am only able to pair 2 of my stats to Homekit. The third one is not being discovered.

Here are the things I have already tried.
    1) The thermostat is definitely connected to WiFi.
    2) I have already reset all settings, and unplugged from the wall for 60 seconds.

• xaxvixaxvi NYMember

Since the last update, my Ecobee3 won't properly integrate with HomeKit it became really annoying!

Hope Ecobee will fix this. Ecobee3 has a huge potential and it'll be a waste if they don't use it.

• jasonb71jasonb71 Cedar Rapids, IAMember

Hello all. I'm new here. I had been having some HomeKit issues with my ecobee3 and have discovered the cause of my problem and wanted to pass it along in the hope it may help someone.

I recently moved and about a month ago I finally cleared enough boxes out of the basement to pull a new 8-conductor thermostat wire so I could install my ecobee3 that I brought with me from the old house. After the install I was surprised to see that there was a new firmware update that made the remote sensors visible in HomeKit. My problem was that the thermostat and all 8 of my sensors were showing "No Response" in the Home app.

To make a long story short... After a lot of troubleshooting I discovered that if I only have 7 remote sensors paired with the thermostat that everything shows up and works in HomeKit. As soon as I add the 8th everything stops responding. I can remove any one of the 8 and it goes back to working.

I just got off the phone with ecobee support and they said they are aware of the issue and that the version of firmware I am running should have fixed the problem. I am running firmware version 3.7.0.969 which I was told is the latest. The support person I spoke with said that she would pass along that there may still be an issue.