If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Official ecobee3 HomeKit Feedback Thread

Comments

• When using a HomeKit control app (such as Home or Eve's app) you can define scenes for all of your HomeKit devices. The control apps have access to the devices own "scenes" and you can use them when creating a HomeKit Scene.

For example, with Hue I can access all my lighting scenes I've created with their app.

However I can't find a way to access Ecobee's Comfort settings, which is essentially a like a "scene" in Hue.

For example when creating a HomeKit Scene for when I leave the house I have the scene turn off all the lights and I would like it to set the Ecobee's Comfort Setting mode to "Away". But that option is nowhere to be found in the Ecobee section of things I can adjust when making a HomeKit Scene.

Am I missing something or is this just not possible? If it's not possible, it should be.

• I have HomeKit going for Lutron, Hue, and ConnectSense outlets. I cannot see a reason to give up Auto Away so I'm leaving Ecobee3 out of my HK configuration.

• @1957Goldtop said:
    I would like it to set the Ecobee's Comfort Setting mode to "Away". But that option is nowhere to be found in the Ecobee section of things I can adjust when making a HomeKit Scene.

Am I missing something or is this just not possible? If it's not possible, it should be.

From what I've been able to figure out, it seems as though you have to drive Ecobee related actions through the Ecobee app. When you set up a scene in Home, you should then be able to see that scene in the Ecobee app when you go to "Manage Homekit Configuration." Then once you select a comfort profile for the scene, you'll see the Ecobee action in the applicable scene in the Home app.

A lot of back and forth, but I've had luck setting it up.

• sirozhasirozha AtlantaMember

Remote censors for the Ecobee 3 thermostat should be enabled for being placed in HomeKit rooms. Each remote sensor should be handled as a discrete HomeKit accessory (like each Hue bulb) with the Ecobee 3 thermostat to which a remote sense is paired serving as the HomeKit bridge for that remote sensor. The way remote sensors are currently implemented precludes remote sensors functioning as discrete HomeKit accessories. Therefore, if the Ecobee 3 thermostat is in the HomeKit room named "Master," and a remote sensor is physically located in the Office, HomeKit sees this remote sensor as being in the room "Master". Even if I create a HomeKit room named "Office," I can't place the remote sensor located in the office into the HomeKit room named "Office". Therefore, as it stands now, the Ecobee 3 thermostats are only partially compatible with HomeKit.

For the reason described above, if I give the remote sensor installed in the office the name "Office" and I also have a HomeKit room named "Office," Siri does not recognize the remote sensor named "Office" and instead searches for a thermostat in the HomeKit room named "Office". Since the thermostat is placed in the HomeKit room named "Master," Siri cannot report on the temperature in the office based on the temperature detected by the remote sensor called "Office".

briansusernamecharlie190dmelcer9coasttech
  • MSUAbilityMSUAbility MichiganMember

Has anyone else experienced a problem of late where the command “List my thermostat temperature” is not working. I get a “sorry I wasn’t able to get a response from your thermostats this time”. It worked a month or so ago. The command “What is my thermostat temperature” is still working. I tried resetting my Homekit on the thermostat and phone and then re-added it and the problem remains. I am using the latest iOS on an iPhone 6.

• I have two units. My "Upstairs" unit works fine with Siri, but my "Downstairs" unit (which was installed months after the first one) does not work with Siri. It shows up as being part of my Home in HomeKit. But like you, MSUAbility, it tells me, "Sorry, I wasn't able to do that" for any commands I try to give it.

charlie190
  • @MSUAbility said:
    Has anyone else experienced a problem of late where the command “List my thermostat temperature” is not working. I get a “sorry I wasn’t able to get a response from your thermostats this time”. It worked a month or so ago. The command “What is my thermostat temperature” is still working. I tried resetting my Homekit on the thermostat and phone and then re-added it and the problem remains. I am using the latest iOS on an iPhone 6.

I'm also having this issue. None of the "List" commands work, but general "what is my temperature" still works.

• sulliedsullied Livermore, CAMember

I finally got around to setting up my HomeKit. If I ask for the temperature in "Bedroom," Siri tells me the reading from the sensor in my bedroom. However, if I ask for the temperature in "Living Room" or my thermostat temperature, it gives me an incorrect temperature. If I go to the sensors page on the thermostat, the living room is at 74 now, but Siri says 70. Coincidentally (or maybe not), it says it's 70 outside. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I have problems with the "List" commands that others above are having.

• VOL98VOL98 TennesseeMember

I have just tried to install my ecobee3 and realized that I don't have a C wire. I am trying to avoid having a professional come out if possible. My unit is a Rheem RRMA-A048JK10E.

I know i will need to install the PEK in my HVAC unit. However, when I open my access panel it appears that the wires that connect to my circuit in my HVAC unit plug in (as opposed to wires that are attached via a screw (similar to the ecobee install video)). Also i have to C connectors (refer to pics) on my panel and am unsure how to proceed.

https://goo.gl/photos/AQAPqPZPHMkYXfUV8

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• Alright a few things:

1. When I change the name of the thermostat, the changes aren't reflected in homekit (note that I'm on ios 10 beta, but it shouldn't make a difference).

2. Can you make it so that homekit obeys the hold duration? I have it set to "next transition" but Siri seems to hold indefinitely. Currently my guard against this is a "resume schedule" IFTTT script that runs at 2 AM each morning.

3. Not sure if this is possible but can Siri display the values of the occupancy sensors?

Thanks!

• charlie190charlie190 CaliforniaMember

I have two ecobee3 units, each with multiple sensors.

1. I can't get both ecobee3 units to show up in the Home app in iOS 10.

2. The sensors would ideally be set up to report the temperature in the room I'm in. Is this possible?

• john99john99 Member
    edited August 2016

my ecobee was showing up in the HomeKit app but once I upgraded the firmware of the ecobee I get device not supported.

Any chance a new firmware will be out to support the Apple HomeKit app?

I have got the ecobee working. What I had to do is remove the ecobee from the home app in iOS 10. Then re-add it back in using the home app in iOS 10.

• LiNMLiNM Member

@john99 said:

I have got the ecobee working. What I had to do is remove the ecobee from the home app in iOS 10. Then re-add it back in using the home app in iOS 10.

How did you manage that, John? Im trying to do so through the Home app on the latest iOS 10 beta and my thermostat doesn't appear on screen.

• @LiNM said:
    How did you manage that, John? Im trying to do so through the Home app on the latest iOS 10 beta and my thermostat doesn't appear on screen.

Did you install the latest ecobee app for iOS?

Also go into the home app, click the + and add the accessory. Go to your ecobee thermostat and the HomeKit it should show up.

My only problem is that the home app shows the wrong temp for cooling to. Mine shows 22C, even thou the ecobee app shows 26C.

• LiNMLiNM Member
    edited August 2016

@john99 Thanks for the reply. Here's how I got mine to work: had to disconnect the HomeKit pairing and then reconnect it. And then it appeared on my Home app. I think there may be a visual glitch/bug. On my ecobee app ( I have the latest version), I had each of there sensors listed under their respective rooms. The Home app insists on listing all sensors under the room that you list the thermostat under or the last name you pick.

I changed these on the ecobee app again, but it is not reflected on the Home app (see pic below)

• Yes same issue all sensors are listed in the same room in the home app. Even thou they are listed separately in the ecobee app.

My question to you is your temperature right in the home app? I.e. Cooling to temperature?

• nsnensne Member

@LiNM said:
    I think there may be a visual glitch/bug. On my ecobee app ( I have the latest version), I had each of there sensors listed under their respective rooms. The Home app insists on listing all sensors under the room that you list the thermostat under or the last name you pick.

I'm seeing this too. Would be great to split the thermostat and the sensors into their respective rooms. Not sure if this is a HomeKit glitch or an ecobee one.

• Hello everyone. New guy here....

So apparently this sensor naming issue persists even after the official iOS 10 release. I suspect that the issue is on ecobee's end. Has anyone heard any official statement from ecobee regarding this issue?

• MacsterguyMacsterguy Member
    edited September 2016

Apples new homekit app is not ready for prime time yet... Ecobee's interface is miles better then Apple's home app at this point. Every time I have try to manually adj temp via the apple home app I get a warning email (IFTT), warning on my phone and on the ecobee thermostat that temp was exceeded. The home app temp adjustment "slider" is a no go... The home app is primitive but at least it's a start 1-1/2 years after promises were made by apple and devices were brought to market. I feel sorry for the ecobee's of the world having to work with apple and it's misleading ways... More work is needed between apple and ecobee. Good luck Ecobee!

• ErockianErockian Member
    edited September 2016

@Macsterguy

I agree in some ways. However, I do have issues with ecobee's app. If you visit every nook and cranny you will find at least two different "gear" icons (i.e. Settings). One is for HomeKit settings, and the other is for quick changes. Sensors have their own menu in yet another location. When you're going between HomeKit scenes and sensor participation, it becomes a baffling chore.

• @john99 said:
    Yes same issue all sensors are listed in the same room in the home app. Even thou they are listed separately in the ecobee app.

My question to you is your temperature right in the home app? I.e. Cooling to temperature?

No, the temperature is not the right one. Sorry I missed your question.

• I removed and reconnected my ecobee to HomeKit in an attempt to fix things. It not only didn't fix things, but now my sensors don't show up in the Home app. Only my thermostat. Does anyone know how to add the sensors?

Wow, what a wreck this feature has turned out to be....

• nsnensne Member
    edited September 2016

@Erockian said:
    I removed and reconnected my ecobee to HomeKit in an attempt to fix things. It not only didn't fix things, but now my sensors don't show up in the Home app. Only my thermostat. Does anyone know how to add the sensors?

Ecobee's most recent firmware update (.960, I think .936) removed the sensors from showing in the Home app. My preference would have been for them to show in their respective rooms, not the same room as the main thermostat, but ecobee's solution was to simply eliminate them from the Home app them altogether. Not sure if that's on account of a HomeKit limitation or just laziness/simplicity.

• oSPANNERooSPANNERo Member
    edited September 2016

Cross post from http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/discussion/comment/6581/#Comment_6581

@oSPANNERo said:
    Maybe MikeyA can comment with some color but I just got off with tech support and they said that the sensors not showing up is a known issue and they are working on a new firmware version (newer than 3.7.0.936, which they said is current) and they will let customers know once its available for general consumption.

Here is to hoping @MikeyA can chime in.

• ErockianErockian Member
    edited September 2016

@oSPANNERo said:
    Cross post from http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/discussion/comment/6581/#Comment_6581

Here is to hoping MikeyA can chime in.

Thanks for that update. It will be nice to get that fixed. I feel like everything is so close to being great, but we still never seem to get there.

I've got one for you. I'm trying to create a custom HomeKit scene called "Cooking Time" which would use a custom comfort setting that only factors in the kitchen remote sensor (so that we can be comfortable in the kitchen if the oven is running).

I've created the scene and the comfort setting, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them to work together. The only comfort settings available in the scene settings are the standard "Home", "Away", and "Sleep" options. There is an option for "Custom", but this merely sets a temperature and has nothing to do with sensor participation (which is what I'm struggling to control). So that leads me to this new question: When are custom comfort settings ever used?

What am I missing?

• yalejyalej MarylandMember

So there is an issue then. I used to have both of my ecobee's in HomeKit, but now the Upstairs one is not showing as working. When I deleted it from the HomeKit and tried to re-add it, it does not appear at all. Re-registering it did not help. My downstairs unit works fine and is selectable and controllable from the Home app in iOS10. Highly annoying.

• I've been having some issues with my HomeKit integration as well.

1) The commands listed on ecobee's website do not seem to correspond with the commands that currently work. It would be good if ecobee updated the website to list the current commands.

2) The Home app, as many have mentioned, does not show my individual sensors. If this is just an error and it is going to be fixed, it would be nice if the sensors were actually integrated into the HomeKit rooms. I've noticed other users state that when the sensors did appear in the Home app, they were all in one HomeKit room.

3) Since the comfort settings are not visible in the Home app, I've found that the Home app never recognizes the scenes that involve the comfort settings are active. For example, when I click on the "I'm Leaving" scene, everything works correctly, but the Home app doesn't recognize that scene is active. So it all works correctly, but I can't actually see which scene is currently active because the Home app gets a bit confused what the ecobee is doing.

4) It would be great if ecobee updated their documentation to include details about the Home app.

I really like my ecobee 3. I purchased it specifically because of HomeKit and I'm not disappointed. Overall it works great and I think the new Home app provides an additional level of integration. I hope some of these bugs can be worked out and that ecobee continues to support HomeKit as it evolves.

• @Eco_Coon_Hound said:
    I've been having some issues with my HomeKit integration as well.

1) The commands listed on ecobee's website do not seem to correspond with the commands that currently work. It would be good if ecobee updated the website to list the current commands.

2) The Home app, as many have mentioned, does not show my individual sensors. If this is just an error and it is going to be fixed, it would be nice if the sensors were actually integrated into the HomeKit rooms. I've noticed other users state that when the sensors did appear in the Home app, they were all in one HomeKit room.

3) Since the comfort settings are not visible in the Home app, I've found that the Home app never recognizes the scenes that involve the comfort settings are active. For example, when I click on the "I'm Leaving" scene, everything works correctly, but the Home app doesn't recognize that scene is active. So it all works correctly, but I can't actually see which scene is currently active because the Home app gets a bit confused what the ecobee is doing.

4) It would be great if ecobee updated their documentation to include details about the Home app.

I really like my ecobee 3. I purchased it specifically because of HomeKit and I'm not disappointed. Overall it works great and I think the new Home app provides an additional level of integration. I hope some of these bugs can be worked out and that ecobee continues to support HomeKit as it evolves.

Well stated. Even if the problems lie with HomeKit and not ecobee3 (and it's probably a combination of the two), ecobee needs to come out with new documentation like you said. They've proudly stamped "works with apple HomeKit" on the box, but then we consumers are left in the dark wondering what that was even supposed to mean.

Well okay, obviously everyone here has an idea, but imagine the poor souls who simply discovered the new Home app on their iPhone 7 and went and bought an ecobee (or any number of other smart gadgets) expecting some kind of revolutionary experience. Talk about left in the cold.

• My ecobee3 has now lost connection with the home app and I can not get them to even see each other after many attempts...

• MikeyAMikeyA TorontoMember

Hey @Macsterguy ,
    See if you can reset Homekit on your ecobee. Just go into the Main Menu > Settings > Reset and select Reset Homekit if it's available. Once that's done, try reconnecting the ecobee through the ecobee app, not the Home app.
    If you don't see Reset Homekit available on the ecobee menu screen, send me an email at mike.a@ecobee.com. I'll see if there's something we can do on our side to help. I hope this information helps!