If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 Feature Request Thread

Comments

• maximmaxim Toronto, CanadaMember

Yes an equalizing mode for the fan in case of difference in temperature is something I have asked for as well. It makes a lot of sense and is badly needed in a house with no zoning.

lannister80
  • 1) Ability to set sensor occupancy from the website and/or the API. It takes a long time for Ecobee to determine that I'm no longer in a room, or the inverse, sometimes the sensors miss that I have entered into a room. It would be great if I could log into the Ecobee site and just tell it that I'm now downstairs.

2) Another vote for using the fan to equalize temperatures. Would be best with some controls though. I wouldn't want it trying to equalize when it's 110 degrees outside as it would be hurting efficiency blowing hot air from our attic. I would love for it to equalize only when the difference from outside temperatures is moderate (or could be time limited).

3) Clock on the display. Doesn't need to be big. So much unused real estate there, surprised you can't do this already
    4) Power company event (i.e. SCE Save power day) integration

5) Up/Down arrows/buttons to adjust the temperature. The way you have to tap and drag seems unnecessarily complicated. I get that Ecobee is trying to go for a more elegant looking design than a screen full of buttons, so perhaps make "easy to use buttons" a preference setting for more functionality oriented people.

6) Improved artwork on UI. What's there is too minimalistic/dark/cryptic.

7) A setting to completely turn off the display unless woken up by the sensor. Would save power and the LCD's backlight.

briansusernameEvermore
  • 68bucks68bucks OhioMember

I would like to be able to see what comfort setting is active from the main screen at a glance, same with the app. Just have the setting symbol displayed on the screen. It's been mentioned already but selectable icons for comfort setting would be great too.

briansusernamefcc3
  • How about actually doing something to improve the IFTTT support, for which feedback was solicited by msaleem back in April 2015?

• tommytommy IllinoisMember

I'd really like better reporting, without having to export the CSV data for manual analysis, of tracking the temperatures across the different sensors. I have a multifloor, multiroom house with several sensors and i want to know which rooms get the coldest fastest (winter in the midwest...) and be able to easily see how any changes I make affect things.

A few ideas are:
    1. A chart that shows the temperature reported by each sensor over time, just like the current ones do for average sensor temp
    2. A display that shows the sensors with the largest deviation from the set temperature.

If sensor 4 is always the one that gets coldest sooner i know that room as insulation problems or some other issue that may be correctable. If sensor 2 shows a quick ramp up in temp in the morning then perhaps it's getting a disproportionate amount of heating.

I installed this set up around dec 2 and don't have home IQ reports, but I guess thats because i dont have a full calendar month.

• ryanhddryanhdd Va beachMember

I would like to be able to turn off the display while only in sleep mode. The thermostate is in a hallway. Though dimming it the most it will dim. Is just not good for me. I can still see the light at night. So I had to turn it off. Sucks bc I would like to see it during the day.

• @ryanhdd said:
    I would like to be able to turn off the display while only in sleep mode. The thermostate is in a hallway. Though dimming it the most it will dim. Is just not good for me. I can still see the light at night. So I had to turn it off. Sucks bc I would like to see it during the day.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, but have you tried this feature?

On your thermostat (not in the app or in the web interface):
    Settings > Preferences > Screen Brightness > Screen sleeps when I sleep checkbox

• Since HomeIQ doesn't show the last hour, can we get a timer somewhere of how long the current call for heating/cooling has been on? Maybe when you press the button in the bottom right corner, that shows you what equipment is currently running, there could just be a little timer showing when the current call for heat/cool has been on?

maalna2
  • endo129endo129 NE OhioMember

Admittedly, I didn't read this whole thread, so If I repeat I apologize.

The option to add other Comfort Settings to the quick changes menu on the app/web portal would be great. If I go to bed early I want to set it to Sleep. I can use Siri, but it should be an option in the app as well. This would also solve someones issue above about working in the basement. You could create Comfort Settings and just not use them in your schedule but call them up at will.

When you trigger something through Siri/home kit, like early sleep. It should recognize that you're in sleep mode and still kick back into your normal schedule. I know you can do this with IFTTT (auto resume schedule at a certain time every day), but you shouldn't have to. Also, idk how that IFTTT auto resume schedule every night will affect vacation mode.

briansusername
  • jmattionijmattioni Philadelphia, PAMember

@ultradianguy said:
    Follow up on my earlier request about manually choosing comfort zones - ....

I agree. Quick Settings currently shows fixed options for home and away that affect comfort settings. It would make more sense for Quick Settings to just let you select any defined comfort setting and not just those fixed options.

endo129briansusername
  • Get the outdoor temp/humidity from Weather Underground instead of whatever source Ecobee is currently using. I have a weather station linked to WU that registers 15% humidity difference from Ecobee's estimate. Microclimates.

• I'd like to see an option where I can set the function that is used for the active sensors - if I understand correctly the temperature of the active sensors is AVERAGEd, the set heat is used as a target of that average.

At times I might have 23 deg on one floor, 20 degree on the other and the AVERAGE sits above the desired 21 degrees.

If I could switch to "MINIMUM" instead the heat would run if any sensor goes below 21, not the AVERAGE of all active ones.

I can't use "follow me" which might alleviate this in other folks' situation - so I can't guarantee 21 degree for two sensors at the moment.

(Yes, the house's heat distribution and insulation is suboptimal)

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember

@nilsca said:
    I'd like to see an option where I can set the function that is used for the active sensors - if I understand correctly the temperature of the active sensors is AVERAGEd, the set heat is used as a target of that average.

At times I might have 23 deg on one floor, 20 degree on the other and the AVERAGE sits above the desired 21 degrees.

If I could switch to "MINIMUM" instead the heat would run if any sensor goes below 21, not the AVERAGE of all active ones.

I can't use "follow me" which might alleviate this in other folks' situation - so I can't guarantee 21 degree for two sensors at the moment.

(Yes, the house's heat distribution and insulation is suboptimal)

If the same sensor is always the one that is cooler, you could just disable the other sensor. It's not the solution you are looking for, but it might work.

• jaumsjaums United StatesMember

& I've mentioned before that I'd like an option to have the fan come on when the temp of the sensors varies more than X degrees, before it's cold enough to warrant heat. Same for cooling season. Make use of the fan to even out temps in various parts of the house before the heat or cool needs to come on.

briansusername
  • Humidity Sensors built into the remote sensors. Getting humidity only from one location is not an accurate measurement of the humidity in the home, would be nice if the remote sensors had this.

Ability to add wired sensors like the original Ecobee. I'd really like to be able to monitor return air temperature.

lannister80
    • 3 more accessory ports/capability
    • Better/more zone controller support
    • iOS widget auto-refresh
    • CWOP/APRSWXNET/MADIS* integration for WX reports or allow injectable WX data from the user's own station (*I left out WU intentionally because of their undocumented QA criteria, and host of poor/inaccurate WX stations.) CWOP/APRSWXNET/MADIS has strict and public QA controls on data.
  • denwooddenwood Ontario, CanadaMember
    edited February 2016

The fan control issues can largely be addressed by having 3 fan modes. Auto, On, or Prog. This is exactly how the commercial stats worked that I replaced with Ecobee3. My Lennox Elite "iComfort" stat has similar programming, but this third fan mode is called "Circ". This way you can keep the fans running constantly (on), cycle with HVAC (auto), or run in Prog mode which runs the fan for the minimum time you specify.

As it is now, setting a minimum run-time runs the fan around the clock at the set interval increasing run-time (and therefore power use) during set back times. Time of use power rates can be managed a bit better this way as well.

briansusername
  • jroncallijroncalli Manteca, CAMember

Does anyone know if you can get the ecobee3 to use the temp sensor in the Wink Relay as one if it's "averaging" temp sensors.

• endo129endo129 NE OhioMember

+1 for iOS widget refresh. 80% of the time it's 15 minutes or older data.

• mvonhmvonh Riv nordMember

Feature request or bug report??
    On the actual thermostat you can see what equipment is running, it will show Aux next to the heat icon if that's running, whereas on iPhone app and web portal, you can only see if the heat is on, but not if it's Aux or main heat etc. details. It would be good to standardize that.

Also, why not use a color code on the heat icon, not it's white or yellow but it could be more informative--ie. yellow is heat, red is Aux etc. so that we have a better idea of what is running.

thanks

briansusername
  • lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

Just give me IFTT triggers for EVERYTHING. Literally anything you can think of.

• Humidifier turned on
    • Humidifier turned off
    • Heat stage 1 turned on
    • Heat stage 1 turned off
    • Heat stage 2 turned on
    • Heat stage 2 turned off
    • AC stage 1 turned on
    • AC stage 1 turned off
    • AC stage 2 turned on
    • AC stage 2 turned off
    • Comfort Profile (sleep, home, away) activated
    • Comfort Profile (sleep, home, away) deactivated
    • Hold activated
    • Hold deactivated
    • Smart Recovery activated
    • Smart Recovery deactivated
    • Motion Detected - Any Sensor
    • Motion No Longer Detected - Any Sensor
    • Thermostat temp > X
    • Thermostat temp < X
    • Calculated/average temp > X
    • Calculated/average temp < X
    • Humidity > X
    • Humidity < X
    briansusernamekevinmcc
  • 2 android requests:

1)Widget for homescreen

2)Better scaling on tablet in landscape mode. On my Nexus 7 (2013) the UI is too big and doesn't resize to accommodate the actual screen.

• PFeezzyPFeezzy Arizona Member
    edited February 2016

A few things I would like to see are:

1. Integration with wifi ceiling fans like Big A** Fans and Hunter Fans. The Nest has integration with Big A** Fans and it's pretty cool. Essentially, the Nest thermostat can control the fans to help regulate temperature instead of kicking on the HVAC. It would be nice if Ecobee could partner up with Hunter either through their own partnership or HomeKit. Hunter has two HomeKit fans coming out soon. Hunter's fans are WAY cheaper than the other guys too.

2. Not sure if this is a feature request or what, but the remote sensor names conflict with HomeKit when I try to name rooms. I would like this to not be a problem anymore but keep the remote sensor names the same.

3. Home IQ on the iPhone in landscape mode please. Android too, if it's not already there.

4. Firmware request. Just a button on the thermostat that can request firmware updates automatically.

5. Some kind of time zone indicator on the app. If I forget to set vacation mode before leaving on a trip, I can set it up remotely through the app. Problem is, if I am many time zones away, I think the app reads my time zone where my phone is located. What I need it to do is base the time off my thermostat location to avoid confusion.

6. User programmable Smart Home/Away. Self explanatory.

I also heard, for HomeKit setups, the geofence feature only works with one device. So, more devices please!

I know I have a coupe more, but can't think of them as of right now. Thanks for reading!

briansusername
  • mvonhmvonh Riv nordMember

Smart recovery (or even a little dumb recovery) from night time to home using AUX, or other stages

• AnekdoterAnekdoter NW OhioMember

Great suggestions everybody. Since I am new to the forum, I wanted to read as much as I could before I posted - whether I retained most of it is a different story, so my apologies if my last two suggestions have been mentioned before.

1.) I'll add my vote to the often mentioned user adjustable start time for the Smart Away feature. As others have stated, the current two hour window really is too long for most people to realize much of an energy savings. Either allowing users to set a much shorter activation time or gradually reducing the current temperature setting (by a degree every twenty or thirty minutes the house is empty) would help save energy while the occupants are running errands or going out to eat.

2.) Allow users to set a delay before the thermostat recognizes a room as occupied when using the Follow Me feature. I've had the heat turn on a number of times just because I walked into a previously unoccupied room to get my cell phone or wallet. If someone is only going to be in a room for a few minutes, I really do not want the room to count towards the E3's average temperature for the whole home. Ignoring the first two or three minutes of occupancy would probably prevent 90% of these false reads, but having a user adjustable setting per sensor would be ideal.

3.) Be a little smarter about not turning on the HVAC system when the scheduled comfort settings are about to change to a more energy efficient temperature (ex: Home -> Away). Before running the HVAC within 15 minutes of a scheduled transition, the E3 could check to see if the current indoor temperature would satisfy the upcoming comfort settings instead of the current settings. If so, then it would not run the HVAC system based on the idea that the energy savings would be more important than a few more minutes of maintaining the current temperature. Even better would be a complement to Smart Recovery that would estimate how long it would take for the current temperature to fall (heating) or rise (cooling) to the temperature specified by the upcoming comfort setting and use that to determine when to stop running the HVAC system under the current settings to maximize energy savings.

Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestions.

jaums
  • RiffRaffRiffRaff Austin, TexasMember
    edited February 2016

My primary desire is an option to lock out fan usage for a certain number of minutes after a cooling cycle. I have it set to run the fan 20 minutes per hour, but would also like it to NOT run the fan within 10 minutes after cooling since that will blow humidity back into the house.

Second desire would be for the current setting that runs the fan for X minutes per hour to continue working normally even when Smart Away has decided that nobody is home and adjusted the temperature settings.

And a +1 for the ideas to have a fan equalization mode where it decides how much to run the fan based on temperature discrepancies among sensors. My reason for having it set to run the fan 20 minutes per hour in the first place is to help even out temperatures between floors.

• jaumsjaums United StatesMember

RR
    My furnace has an option for maximizing dehumidifying by adjusting fan speeds during each cooling cycle. It's in the furnace fine print, tiny dip switches, the installation company didn't know about it.

• AnekdoterAnekdoter NW OhioMember

After using my new Ecobee3 for a few more days, I've noticed a couple other features that would be great to have. I do not recall seeing them mentioned before, but with so many good ideas posted here it is difficult to keep track of them all.

1.) Remote sensor diagnostic information. In the app, web portal and thermostat itself, it would be great to see each sensor's battery level and signal strength. The average temperature difference between the sensor and the thermostat may be useful too.

2.) Local wind conditions in both the Ecobee3 weather display and in the web portal's Weather Impact report. Sustained wind speed plays a huge role in how leaky a home is, so including it would help explain fluctuations in energy use between days with similar outdoor temperatures. Even though they are not currently displayed to the user, hopefully wind speed and direction are already tracked and used by the Ecobee3's smart recovery feature, but if not, they should be.

• I'd like to see an option that allows the user to set the temperature overshoot. Right now the system runs until it hits the set point and stops. By adding an overshoot feature, it seems like we could cut down on the number of run cycles.
    Thanks!

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember

@mgarrabrant said:
    I'd like to see an option that allows the user to set the temperature overshoot. Right now the system runs until it hits the set point and stops. By adding an overshoot feature, it seems like we could cut down on the number of run cycles.
    Thanks!

You can already change the swing temp settings to do this.