If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 Feature Request Thread

Comments

• fcc3 said:
    This would assume that you had a accurate outside temp being reported to the Ecobee 3 of which you do not

Never had a problem with outside temp being off more than a few degrees. I suppose some zip codes may be worse than others.

• charettepa said:
    I would like the following
    I am listing them in my order of importance

1- heat/cool/auto should have independent schedules as setpoint needs are different in areas where weather changes drastically.
    example.
    in (Auto) spring/fall you don't need to heat or cool "20-25" as much as you do in the summer(Cool) "23" or winter (Heat) "22"
    with separate schedules you would only need to change the system mode when needed
    right now you need to completely re-adjust the schedule

2- offset temperatures per sensor as they do not seem to calibrate properly

3- clock on the standby screen, it would easily fit under the weather

4- the standby screen and active screen show if its heating or cooling but not if the fan is running. this should be visible, as well a humidity icon if humidifying.

5- ability to specify if a sensor should be used for motion/temp/both

6- ability to run the fan in off mode or a new mode called fan or fan only

7- it would be nice if custom comfort settings allowed you to chose one of the standard 3 icons (Home/Sleep/Away) instead of just using a red circle

8- schedule should be able to set more granular, at least every 15 minutes. 30 is too wide of a gap in some cases.

9- ability to order comfort zones to custom user order
    in my case currently its

away, home, sleep, early home, late home
    but
    sleep, early home, away, home, late home
    would be more logical
    the order could be set by the user via drag and drop

6 is already done.

My Ecobee3 is set to off right now and the fan set to on. The fan is running.

• charettepacharettepa Ottawa, ONMember

kevin_mcc said:

charettepa said:
    I would like the following
    I am listing them in my order of importance

1- heat/cool/auto should have independent schedules as setpoint needs are different in areas where weather changes drastically.
    example.
    in (Auto) spring/fall you don't need to heat or cool "20-25" as much as you do in the summer(Cool) "23" or winter (Heat) "22"
    with separate schedules you would only need to change the system mode when needed
    right now you need to completely re-adjust the schedule

2- offset temperatures per sensor as they do not seem to calibrate properly

3- clock on the standby screen, it would easily fit under the weather

4- the standby screen and active screen show if its heating or cooling but not if the fan is running. this should be visible, as well a humidity icon if humidifying.

5- ability to specify if a sensor should be used for motion/temp/both

6- ability to run the fan in off mode or a new mode called fan or fan only

7- it would be nice if custom comfort settings allowed you to chose one of the standard 3 icons (Home/Sleep/Away) instead of just using a red circle

8- schedule should be able to set more granular, at least every 15 minutes. 30 is too wide of a gap in some cases.

9- ability to order comfort zones to custom user order
    in my case currently its

away, home, sleep, early home, late home
    but
    sleep, early home, away, home, late home
    would be more logical
    the order could be set by the user via drag and drop

6 is already done.

My Ecobee3 is set to off right now and the fan set to on. The fan is running.

you are correct
    I just noticed this yesterday
    which is nice

however there is no option to fully stop the system if its needed at the time
    other than changing the minimim fan runtime to 0

I can see 2 ways to solve this

1- having a fourth system operation would be ideal

currently
     auto/heat/cool

suggested
     auto/heat/cool/fan only 

2- adding the off functionality to the fan
    it currently only has auto/on
    simply changing it to auto/on/off would solve the issue

I see number 2 being quite easy to implement

kevin_mcckevinmcc
  • cauthiercauthier Waterloo, ONMember

**I would like to see the ability to set the network hostname, or at least have the hostname set to the thermostat name. **

We currently have 4 thermostats installed and are planning to add 4 or 5 more in the near future. When I look at my DHCP Address Leases and log files, all I have is an IP address. Which will make troubleshooting any network issues more difficult.

lannister80
  • Please add the ability to export and import (backup) the settings on an Ecobee3 thermostat. I've only had my Ecobee3 for a few days and I'm currently "tweaky" schedule and Comfort Settings. It would suck, for lack of a better term, if I purchased another Ecobee3 or any future product and was forced to re-invent the wheel.

Also, another quick suggestion, please make smoke/carbon monoxide detector and tie them into the motion sensor feature.

MJ

please add the ability to communicate through google now the same way you connect to siri

please release an android wear app.

also i second mjohns2
    i would like to see backups

• bevsterbevster Kelowna, B.C.Member

Would like the ability to use my outside temperature sensor that my last thermostat utilized, for instant accurate temperatures at my home. The website ecobee pulls the weather from is not accurate at all.

blanalexlannister80
  • blanalexblanalex QC, CanadaMember

I agree with the above writer; somehow I don't trust online data do stop my heat pump from running when it's too cold outside. My current tstat (I don't have switched yet) has a probe for this, I'd like to continue to use it.

I have two feature requests of my own:

1. This is more of a product request rather than a feature request: Baseboard heater tstat or integration with existing smart baseboard heater tstats: I have a two storey house + basement. The air handler is in the basement and it takes most of its air from there. I have some air registers down there, but it will always be colder, so I have baseboard heaters in the basement. Since it's colder there, it tends to cool down the whole house. With integrated baseboard heaters tstats, Ecobee could use that to better control the temperature of the two other floors.

2. Telemetry: have sensors inside the air handler/furnace to optimize switch-over from heat-pump to auxiliary heating. Either having known values of the heat pump power usage or with current-measuring devices, upstream and downstream thermometers inside the furnace/air handler would help keep the heat-pump running until it's not efficient anymore.

• recrumrecrum Akon, OHMember

I have a request for part of the smart home/away. If it hasn't detected motion for say 15 minutes after switching to the home schedule it should switch back to the away schedule. How many nights a week do people actually head straight home after work? The way HVAC isn't kicking on while we're still out running errands.

• chazchaz QuebecMember

My furnace has 3 aux stages. It would be great if future ecobee hardware could support 3 stage aux heating..

• wmldwillywmldwilly Southern CaliforniaMember

Forgive me if this has already been requested:

a) heat/cool/auto/fan only - to allow users to create a "comfort setting" (ahem...a "scene") to move the air (and not call for heat or cool or accessories...or perhaps yes call for accessories/dehumidifiers/etc, but NOT heat or cool) for a period of time at a time of day rather than rely on the "auto fan x minutes every hour" setting.

b) in addition to "operate fan for X minutes each hour", "between the hours of X and Y" or perhaps as schedule entries (12:30pm - if no heat/cool in progress, turn on fan / 1:00pm - if no heat/cool, turn off fan). We like the auto fan x minutes per hour feature, but during the day - not all night long.

briansusernameSteve
  • mr396mr396 ks, USAMember

here are several suggestions for ecobee:
    1. Have an option to display a "feels-like" temperature which takes into account the humidity. Be able to have a set point for feel like.
    2. have different fan settings depending on heat and cool cycles as well as different modes (away, home, awake, sleep, etc.) and depending on how cool/hot it is outside. I like to run the fan blower more when the temperature is colder/hotter outside. Less when outside temp is closer to normal range.
    3. have an option to select your own personal weather station for current conditions.
    4. Be able to copy the schedule from another ecobee
    5. be able to turn fan blower on when it detects a difference in temps between sensors.
    6. be able to go back farther than 3 months to download data. Ecobee used to allow downloads further than that.
    7 when downloading the data, have ecobee have an option to provide averages, sum total for the period of time selected.
    8. have quick access icons on main screen for easier access to more common items'
    9. when you have the humidifier on Frost control, be able to tell what the Frost control set-point is at the time.
    10. Put the time on the main screen
    11. an "app" store for people to place their apps and other can download them or buy them, etc.
    12. Allow users to enter their info the AC's(size, SEER, etc.), furnace (AFUE, size, etc.), blower info, and electricity/gas costs and have ecobee calculate the energy used. also be able to do what-ifs to determine the economical upgrades. For instance if my current AC is a SEER 10 and based on how long it runs in year, what would my cost savings be is it was upgraded to a 16 SEER for instance.

carveitup
  • lgordonlgordon United StatesMember

I think the aux lockout situation can be improved with an additional aux setpoint

I'll try to explain the benefits: under normal operation, say a 67F setpoint, on a cold day (say 22F) the heatpump is not able to maintain the desired setpoint and the temperature would drop to say 66F while calling for heat, after a certain time or temp drop the aux would kick in bringing the temp up to setpoint, 67F. Then all heat would turn off. Shortly after the temp would drop and the heatpump would come back on for a time and not be able to meet the demand to increase the temp back to 67F, again requiring aux heat and the cycle would repeat. However, if the heatpump setpoint was slightly higher than the aux setpoint the aux would raise the temperature to a lower point, say 66F, and the heatpump wouldn't turn off, now the temperature in the house could be maintained at the desired set point (no temp drop during the time when the heat pump is off) for longer without having to use the aux heat and the heatpump compressor wouldnt be power cycled needlessly.

A further benefit is that you could tolerate larger setbacks overnight/away times when the outside temperature is below the balance point. On a warmer night, say 40F, you could keep the 67F setpoint overnight and then if the heatpump can meet the demand, great. If it gets much colder out and the heatpump can't meet the demand aux would come on. However, with a reduced aux setpoint, say 63-54F, while away/overnight aux will only be used to maintain 63F while the heatpump continuously runs trying to maintain 67F. You've now reduced the aux usuage but not turned off the heatpump. Now when you are home/awake will the aux setpoint come back to 66F and aux heat will bring the temp back up (or the heatpump will have if it got warmer out). You've now eliminated much of the aux usage overnight and reduced heatpump power cycles. The alternative method of a regular setpoint setback would require aux to raise the temp in the morning even if the heatpump could have maintained the setpoint if it was allowed to run more overnight trying to meet its different setpoint.

The large difference in deltaT and energy use of the resisitve aux heat compared to the heatpump necessitate that they are treated differently. The current system of outside temp lockout, and maximum compressor to aux times is beneficial but not adequate.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

@mr396 said:

1. Allow users to enter their info the AC's(size, SEER, etc.), furnace (AFUE, size, etc.), blower info, and electricity/gas costs and have ecobee calculate the energy used. also be able to do what-ifs to determine the economical upgrades. For instance if my current AC is a SEER 10 and based on how long it runs in year, what would my cost savings be is it was upgraded to a 16 SEER for instance.

THIS! This is what I really want. I'm sick of doing it in a damn spreadsheet.

• Please, for the love of God. Add an indefinite hold for comfort profile mode changes. Currently we are restricting to setting this until either the next transition or for x amount of hours. Both don't work for me as I'm trying to automate when I'm home, away, and sleep based on whether I'm home or not. I don't want my thermostat switching to sleep mode if I'm away for the night.

• Please consider an option to not have the unit render itself useless by showing a large white box instead of the standard display whenever there's a minor communications glitch with a remote. Cats, people, whatever occasionally get between the unit and a sensor. It fixes itself, but the unit itself is useless until all messages are acknowledged. Don't know if anybody else sees comm glitches, but they're pretty routine here.

Maybe an icon on the normal screen indicating there's an event pending. Better, an agitated bee zipping around.

Thanks!

briansusername
  • KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember

@dallasdave said:
    Please consider an option to not have the unit render itself useless by showing a large white box instead of the standard display whenever there's a minor communications glitch with a remote. Cats, people, whatever occasionally get between the unit and a sensor. It fixes itself, but the unit itself is useless until all messages are acknowledged. Don't know if anybody else sees comm glitches, but they're pretty routine here.

Maybe an icon on the normal screen indicating there's an event pending. Better, an agitated bee zipping around.

Thanks!

Main Menu->Reminders and Alerts->Preferences->Display on Thermostat (Disable)

briansusername
  • fcc3fcc3 Schnecksville , PAMember

It would be nice to have a setting where you activate the fan for a certain amount of time after the heat or cool shuts off. I would rather not have the fan run every hour. This is a a waste for me.if you set it to run for 5 minutes every hour the fan runs two hours a day minimum.

• briansusernamebriansusername UtahMember
    edited December 2015

@fcc3 said:
    It would be nice to have a setting where you activate the fan for a certain amount of time after the heat or cool shuts off. I would rather not have the fan run every hour. This is a a waste for me.if you set it to run for 5 minutes every hour the fan runs two hours a day minimum.

From the User Guide:

Heat Dissipation Time
    The amount of time the fan will run after the heat set point has been reached and the call for heat has been turned off. Running the fan for a period of time allows for any heated air left in the ducts to circulate throughout the home. The time is adjustable from 0 to 900 seconds. The default value is 30 seconds.
    On Thermostat:
    1. Select Main Menu > Settings > Installation Settings > Thresholds > Heat Dissipation Time.
    2. Configure the settings as required.

Thanks. Missed this. Much appreciated.

• sctrspctr4sctrspctr4 Mid Atlantic USMember

I second a "equalizer" mode in addition to/instead of the run for x minutes. I have a 3 level detached home. The basement underground has a very stable temp, would be good to utilize that with the fan instead of AC/Heat.

Would really like zones (an the ability to add sensors to those zones) which could turn on/off dampers to the zones with a single master (I currently have 2 manual dampers for my home, 1 for basement/main level and 1 for upstairs bedrooms).

• sctrspctr4sctrspctr4 Mid Atlantic USMember

Been thinking more about this "equalizer" capability. Lets say you have a fireplace and one sensor (around that fireplace) is significantly higher(more than 2 or 3 degrees) than the rest (say bedrooms), turn on the fan until they are within 1 or 2 degrees. Though I don't run my gas fireplace much, during the summer the front of the house is significantly warmer than the back, and instead of just arbitrarily running the fan for no reason, turn it on while the sensors are different. Running the fan really doesn't cost all that much but I feel it would be a more efficient running plan.

• mustang_52mustang_52 United StatesMember

@sctrspctr4 said:
    Been thinking more about this "equalizer" capability. Lets say you have a fireplace and one sensor (around that fireplace) is significantly higher(more than 2 or 3 degrees) than the rest (say bedrooms), turn on the fan until they are within 1 or 2 degrees. Though I don't run my gas fireplace much, during the summer the front of the house is significantly warmer than the back, and instead of just arbitrarily running the fan for no reason, turn it on while the sensors are different. Running the fan really doesn't cost all that much but I feel it would be a more efficient running plan.

I've been asking for this for awhile. It would help me out tremendously!

• I'd like the ability to fine tune settings based on months. My air conditioning and heating profiles are far different and I have to lump them together as it stands currently.

I would still like a sensor that attaches to the inside of a duct before it exits into the building and have this control the fan after a heating or cooling cycle so it will turn off the fan when it is cooler or hotter than the inside temp so I do not have to guess how many minutes to turn the fan on after heating or cooling cycle. Sensor is already made just need the firmware for it. Would be automatic then and much more efficient.

• souss00souss00 CanadaMember

Not sure if this was already requested, but it would be great if there is a way to choose a comfort setting manually and not thru an automatic schedule.

briansusername
  • nhatmannhatman SoCalMember
    edited December 2015

Yes! Yes! It's the ONE thing I need right now. To be able to manually select a comfort setting and/or manually select the temp and participating sensors, temporarily overriding the schedule.

• rccolemanrccoleman San DiegoMember

@mustang_52 said:
    I've been asking for this for awhile. It would help me out tremendously!

Indeed. The sensors can already tell the base when there's a temperature disparity and it makes all the sense in the world to have it turn on the fan to "fix" it. I'm running my fan for 5 minutes every hour and it's helping to equalize the temperature, but it sure seems like a simplistic and inefficient approach for a smart thermostat.

briansusername
  • ck01ck01 gatineauMember
    edited January 2016

Some of us have a dumb HRV (no motor) interconnected with the furnace. I have the HRV connected to the ecobee 3, set at 15 mins/hr. If the system is running the HRV and there is a call for heat, then my hot air is expelled right outside through the HRV, which strikes me as a pure waste, even with the HR core.

A nice feature, simple to implement, would be to have an option to stop the HRV when the furnace or A/C is running.