If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 Feature Request Thread

Comments

• BPMBPM AlbertaMember

So how come with all this updating of the software there was not an update, other than the weather, on the standby screen. I recall this screen being touted as having a fully functional screen. In other words, is it or was it really too hard to add additional info on the standby screen such as:
    1. A little color to know when your system is on. eg. Blue temp numbers for a/c and the fire orange number for heat.
    2 Whether or not the humidity is on or not, the icon with color.
    If I recall were not these type of suggestions some of the first mentioned in the feature thread.

• fcc3fcc3 Schnecksville , PAMember

I suggested a while ago that they should give the user the option of what they want on the screen. Just check what you want on it as long as the screen could hold them all but have not heard anything and there was no response on this suggestion so I guess that no one cares but iit would be really easy to implement since everything is already there????

• maximmaxim Toronto, CanadaMember
    edited May 2015

bpoland said:

I think it would be great if the ecobee3 could turn on the furnace fan automatically when it detects a big temperature variation between the different remote sensors, to try to even the temperature out. Are there any plans to do that?

I think this is a very badly needed feature. It will actually make use of the extra sensors and allow to even out temperature without zoning. This will be especially useful for: rooms above the garage and other such spaces where the temperature differs; when you turn on fireplace in a room; when the sun is warming up one side of the house etc. It will only run the fan when needed and not have it on all day or Xmin/hour which might be too much or not enough during certain times.

Too add I would also like an "OFF with AUTO FAN" mode to do the above. Some warm days I would like to keep the windows open and the AC and thermostat in "OFF" but I would like the fan to keep on working intermittently to balance the temperature in the house.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember
    edited June 2015

Copy/paste from vibee request thread:

Allow us to enter our AC and furnace energy use profiles in the Ecobee website so we can calulate energy used and cost incurred by running equipment.

For instance, I know my AC unit used 14.1 amps to run the compressor and 0.6 amps to run the fan (230v). I know my furnace blower uses 6.8 amps (115v). So I know my whole system, when running AC, uses 4163 watts when running ((14.1+0.6)x230)+(6.8x115).

If you also know your electricity rate (use + delivery cost per kwh), you can enter that into the Ecobee website. Then you'll know exactly how much energy is used in a day (just multiply by runtime of each component) and how much it cost to run. Not just some nebulous estimate that the Ecobee website gives you now.

As for gas heat, you should be able to enter your furnace stats (like my 2-stage runs at 49kbtu in stage 1 and 70kbtu in stage 2) and your cost for gas per cubic foot (or 100 cuft or whatever). Add that cost, plus the electricity cost of the blower, to get your run cost for the furnace in heating season.

This is TRIVIAL to do, I have a spreadsheet right now that does it. Just integrate it into the website!!

jreays
  • s52m3s52m3 Member

I would think this is a common request, the ability to create a custom comfort setting or quick changes setting (if you were able to create those) and trigger it outside of the scheduler.

For example I would create a new comfort setting "Party" setting without making it part of the schedule. The use case for this would be hosting a party on the main level of the house which only has the main thermostat (all other sensors are upstairs). I want to lower the temperature for my guests on the main level without caring about what other sensors upstairs are reading. If it were available then on the quick changes menu it would be best.

• valuequestvaluequest VirginiaMember
    edited July 2015

Following from s52m3 above here are some suggestions for a more functional Quick Changes:

(1) select any defined comfort setting (including Sleep) OR turn fan on

(2) for how long

> until next schedule event (the UI should show me what that is)

> until specified date and time (or number of minutes if 'turn fan on' is selected in (1))

> hold until changed manually

All of the Quick Changes menu functions should of course be available from the main unit, the web portal and the mobile app.

• bmglickmanbmglickman USAMember
    edited July 2015

Really liking my Ecobee3 so far. And since it appears Ecobee is responsive to feature requests, here are a few (some of which have been mentioned before):

1) User-configurable SmartAway - I'd like "away" to kick in if unoccupied for 30 minutes (instead of 2 hours).

2) More smartphone notifications -- e.g., a notification when SmartAway kicks on or off, alerting you to an unexpected presence in house, or permitting you to reset to "home" if you've just been laying really still on the couch watching a movie.

3) More granular fan control (like Nest's advanced settings) - a good starting point would be to allow different fan settings for different comfort settings (e.g., no fan while away, 10 min/hour fan while home). This would allow people to have complete control of when the fan runs. Could also tie it into weather, so it's not running in summer when ducts are full of hot air.

4) Permit scheduling in 5- or 15-minute increments (or just arbitrary times).

5) Option to turn-off motion sensing for individual remote sensors when certain comfort settings are in place (e.g., my dog sleeps in my bedroom during the day, I want to the temp to monitored, but I don't want it assuming the room is occupied when it's not)

6) User-configurable "Quick-Change" settings. (E.g., I'd like to set up an "errands" quick-change, that would adjust temp for an hour or two).

7) Allow temperature calibration adjustment for individual sensors.

8) Agree re better indication of when A/C or Heat is running (more color, something)

9) Agree that nightlight option could be useful

10) Add clock to standby screen (and slightly longer delay before going out of standby when I walk by)

briansusername
  • ZD2342ZD2342 Member

It would be great to have the last "occupied" timestamp visible next to each sensor.

briansusername
  • danno9danno9 Member
    edited July 2015

Whats wrong with this setup?

Please bring back the clock to the main display screen!

KRUZNBYStevebriansusernameliqianghuaelfkevin_mcc
  • SteveSteve Seattle, WAAdministrator

^THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gizbuggizbug ChicagoMember

How long do we have to wait til another FW update?

• thetailwindthetailwind MarylandMember

maxim said:

bpoland said:

I think it would be great if the ecobee3 could turn on the furnace fan automatically when it detects a big temperature variation between the different remote sensors, to try to even the temperature out. Are there any plans to do that?

I think this is a very badly needed feature. It will actually make use of the extra sensors and allow to even out temperature without zoning. This will be especially useful for: rooms above the garage and other such spaces where the temperature differs; when you turn on fireplace in a room; when the sun is warming up one side of the house etc. It will only run the fan when needed and not have it on all day or Xmin/hour which might be too much or not enough during certain times.

Too add I would also like an "OFF with AUTO FAN" mode to do the above. Some warm days I would like to keep the windows open and the AC and thermostat in "OFF" but I would like the fan to keep on working intermittently to balance the temperature in the house.

I would like this fan on with temperature difference. In a townhouse, it is very useful.

briansusername
  • How about a new feature: make the portal site work someday?

bemyax
  • grizzlymvgrizzlymv CanadaMember

Not sure if it has been requested yet, but two things:
    - add the option to 60 minutes for the fan control so we can finally have a Real 100% ON mode when we set it to ON (meaning the fan never stops).
    - Properly support HRV systems (right now it is very limited, to either Off or Max speed while most have different speed setup for better energy saving).
    - and with the Windows 10 release, a proper Universal app for the platform. :)

Thank you in advance for the consideration.

• Phil06Phil06 Los AngelesMember

Calibrate sensors to be equal value to wall unit. Place them all next to thermostat, click, and it stores an offset for each one. Add option of calibrating wall unit if you have access to a calibrated thermometer. Just got a ecobee3 and sensor is 6 degrees off from wall unit, waiting for response from support.

briansusernamelannister80

Ecobee support got back to me, I will get replacement sensor, said tolerance is 3 degrees (didn't say +- or total), "Noted" my suggestion to add code that would calibrate sensor by setting next to wall unit and clicking to store offset.

• happyshowhappyshow Miami, FLMember

Been using my Ecobee3 for a month now and so far it's great. I would love it if my Ecobee3 could tell my Vera Edge to turn on Z-Wave ceiling fans or have a Z-Wave adapter for the expansion port so the Ecobee3 could command Z-Wave switches on it's own.

liqianghuaelf

Ecobee sent me replacement sensor, this one is off 8 degrees. It would take three lines of code to add the feature of zeroing the sensors to the wall unit.

• mrl72mrl72 FloridaMember
    edited August 2015

I am sure these are mentioned somewhere but here's mine:

1. Ability to offset the temp on the remote sensor if the main unit has an offset applied.
    2. Ability to use the remote sensor just for motion detect. If I place the remote sensor in an area that has poor duct work say, and the temp is always high/low, I want to ignore the temp in that location but use the motion sensor to determine smart away mode.
    3. A more colorful display/interface like the Nest. This is not Web 1.0. Times have changed.
  • elfelf Member

mrl72 said:
    2. Ability to use the remote sensor just for motion detect. If I place the remote sensor in an area that has poor duct work say, and the temp is always high/low, I want to ignore the temp in that location but use the motion sensor to determine smart away mode.

You can do this already. You just need to click on the SENSORS setting on the web page, select the appropriate sensor, then un-select the Comfort settings that you don't want that sensor to participate in. I have the main sensor on the E3 not participating on any of my comfort settings since it's downstairs and 98% of the time we're upstairs.

Three sensors, all outside their "tolerance" of 3F. I can't be the only one with this problem. Exceedingly easy to add feature of zeroing sensors to wall unit. They would never get a sensor returned for being out of "tolerance"

• An indicator on the main screen when the AC is on because of smart recovery. I always have to remind myself why the AC is running when it shows 76 as current temp and 78 as the target temp.

briansusernamebemyax
  • briansusernamebriansusername UtahMember
    edited August 2015

Offline Data Buffering/Caching

I don't know how ecobee collects data, but it seems like a similar situation to my Rachio Iro sprinkler controller, which also has all commands go through the cloud.

Last month, the Iro had a firmware update, after which Rachio noticed from community feedback that some data events were getting dropped from the history, usually when the customer's Iro lost Wi-Fi/Internet.

Within a month, they released new firmware that had the Iro buffer/cache 24 hours worth of events and sent the batch of data to Rachio's servers the next time it could. Data loss problems solved, within a few weeks!

http://community.rachio.com/t/watering-history-unexpected-behavior/1573/7

http://community.rachio.com/t/iro-offline-watering-event-s/1582?u=franz

http://community.rachio.com/t/new-firmware-offline-irrigation-event-buffering/1809/9

@msaleem, does the ecobee3 have any kind of data buffering like this? Could it be added? Would something like that fix the data gaps we are seeing?

One of the perks of going with ecobee and Rachio was that they are small, nimble companies that could quickly adapt and solve issues like this. Rachio has been a great example of that lately. Maybe they just haven't gotten too big yet.

lannister80
  • av8rav8r Bethesda, MDMember

I reported this in a reply to another thread but I’m adding here since Ecobee seems to monitor it. Others have expressed concern over security of the thermostat and the fact Ecobee CSRs can directly access the thermostat settings without asking permission. I was surprised when I called customer support with a question about scheduling, and before I knew it the CSR had put entries into my schedule for review. I did not request this and he never asked my permission. The guy was extremely polite and helpful, and I’m not complaining that this level of assistance is possible, but I think there should be a permission gate for this access. Someone on the other thread suggested a message on the screen you would tap to give the CSR permission to view/modify settings.

• Requesting the ability to assign cost per kilowatt hour as well as user input power usage for certain modes of a/c or heating usage (certain number of watts for fan only vs a/c & fan). So that Ecobee can generate a report/web gui on estimated cost savings on hypothetically moving your temperature up and down a degree.

Furthermore if it were possible for the app to have suggestions based on similar houses in similar climates of which home improvements could bring heating & cooling costs down for a particular sensor in a given room. The second portion of the requirement request, would be a nice to have.

lannister80
  • I want to lockout heat pump compressor stages for heating.

I know the efficiency of my heat pump and I want my heat pump to heat my house a cheaply as possible. I feel Ecobee3 currently does not offer the best solution when I know my heat pump is functioning well and should be running longer.

If the temp is too low for a stage to be operating efficiently or keep up, I want to just to right to the next stage, or skip the heat pump all together and go directly to Heat Pump & AUX or just AUX. Valid stage lockout temperature ranges should be something like 32 to -15 degree F.

This also brings up Min Outdoor Temp only going to 0 F. My heat pump is more efficiently pumping heat at -10 than my AUX is at creating heat, only issue there is little heat being pumped in. I would like to lock out the heat pump if the temperature drops below -10 degrees and allow Heat Pump & Aux Simultaneous to up until that point. Any way we can get this range extended to -15 degree F?

Here is a simplistic flow chart of my idea.

lannister80

This would assume that you had a accurate outside temp being reported to the Ecobee 3 of which you do not

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

fcc3 said:
    This would assume that you had a accurate outside temp being reported to the Ecobee 3 of which you do not

Why? Temp comes from weather.com using your zip code. Should be pretty close, right?

I do not know where they get the temp but it does not get updated on your Ecobee very often. I talked to support about this because I want to have control over heat pump heat with electric back up and being able to turn off the compressor when it reaches a certain temp. They explained that they only update to the thermostat once every 30 minutes and there is also a chance that they will only get the temp from the site once every 30 minutes so there can be a 1 hour delay from getting the correct temp. This makes this function worthless to me and also the person that posted before me. I have even seen looking at the app the correct temp and having the ecobee report the temp what it was a hour ago. Not well thought out for something that was advertised as being there. Also you make have a risk of damaging your compressor if the temp is a lot lower than what you set to do this because of this lag. Only good solution would be for them to put out a outdoor sensor. No Lag and this option would function the way it should.

• charettepacharettepa Ottawa, ONMember

I would like the following
    I am listing them in my order of importance

1- heat/cool/auto should have independent schedules as setpoint needs are different in areas where weather changes drastically.
    example.
    in (Auto) spring/fall you don't need to heat or cool "20-25" as much as you do in the summer(Cool) "23" or winter (Heat) "22"
    with separate schedules you would only need to change the system mode when needed
    right now you need to completely re-adjust the schedule

2- offset temperatures per sensor as they do not seem to calibrate properly

3- clock on the standby screen, it would easily fit under the weather

4- the standby screen and active screen show if its heating or cooling but not if the fan is running. this should be visible, as well a humidity icon if humidifying.

5- ability to specify if a sensor should be used for motion/temp/both

6- ability to run the fan in off mode or a new mode called fan or fan only

7- it would be nice if custom comfort settings allowed you to chose one of the standard 3 icons (Home/Sleep/Away) instead of just using a red circle

8- schedule should be able to set more granular, at least every 15 minutes. 30 is too wide of a gap in some cases.

9- ability to order comfort zones to custom user order
    in my case currently its

away, home, sleep, early home, late home
    but
    sleep, early home, away, home, late home
    would be more logical
    the order could be set by the user via drag and drop

briansusernamesforsten