If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 Feature Request Thread

Comments

• @GoPackGo, I was hoping this behavior was part of the smarts of the E3. Currently a lot of the AUTO settings for setting max stage 1 duration and temp differental are actually defaults to 10min and 2 degree difference. I was hoping it would learn how well the furnace is at heating based on history and auto adjusts if those settings were set to AUTO.

I'm kind of disappointed in that respect.

• GoPackGoGoPackGo MidwestMember

@ZD2342 - I couldn't agree more. An alternative to having the temperature cutoff I mentioned is to have the "auto" settings learn the system to determine the best settings as you had mentioned.

• KBeeKBee Member
    edited February 2015

I'd like to see a "lost connection/thermostat not working correctly" alert for the ecobee3. This would be helpful in case the thermostat breaks or in case anything is wrong with the power line (broken transformer, power blackout etc.)
    It would be very easy to implement. A soon as the web terminal can't connect to a registered thermostat for e.g. more than 1h, the alert would be sent out.
    Or even better: The alert automatically gets enabled when the home owner is either away or scheduled an holiday.

• msaleemmsaleem TorontoEcobee Employee

shawnmek said:
    Actually the idea of API access to the remote sensors got me thinking, is there an API open to the public that I could use right now to code against the thermostat? That would be pretty fun for me as well. I am a 'Bioinformatics' developer, but can think of lots of fun things I could do :)

We have a publicly-available open API. Please learn more on our developers page

• shawnmekshawnmek United StatesMember

You know how amazon reads our minds in order to try to sell us stuff...

It showed me this programmable vent link

It made me think, shouldn't smart thermostats connect to all the vents in the house and control them for better, uniform (or non-uniform if desired, control of 'zones'), temperature distribution in the house?

It wouldn't even need to 'know' all about the space of the house. The work I do in Bioinformatics and algorithm development to understand or manipulate cellular protein pathways has shown me that you could just 'probe' how each vent and combination of vents changes the temp at each remote sensor. This could be awesome. You would probably want more sensors (like one for each room). But this could be great.

Should I patent this :). In this public forum I'm claiming this :). It's a win-win. Better control, energy saving. More sales, because people will want more sensors and vents.

@msaleem contact me to buy this idea and my services :)

• manoficemanofice CharlotteMember

shawnmek said:
    You know how amazon reads our minds in order to try to sell us stuff...

It showed me this programmable vent link

It made me think, shouldn't smart thermostats connect to all the vents in the house and control them for better, uniform (or non-uniform if desired, control of 'zones'), temperature distribution in the house?

It wouldn't even need to 'know' all about the space of the house. The work I do in Bioinformatics and algorithm development to understand or manipulate cellular protein pathways has shown me that you could just 'probe' how each vent and combination of vents changes the temp at each remote sensor. This could be awesome. You would probably want more sensors (like one for each room). But this could be great.

Should I patent this :). In this public forum I'm claiming this :). It's a win-win. Better control, energy saving. More sales, because people will want more sensors and vents.

@msaleem contact me to buy this idea and my services :)

There are two new companies releasing "smart vents", one is KEEN. I've read online though that it's not good for the HVAC to be blocking off vents. But KEEN swears by their pressure sensors etc, but keen is to rich for my blood.

• Sorry, @shawnmek - there are already a few companies at work on smart vents like that. On Twitter, it looks like ecovent is already looking into a possible ecobee integration.

Now, if you can figure out how to create some of these smart vents for less than $100-120 each (the range I've seen so far), you could have a great advantage!

• shawnmekshawnmek United StatesMember

I figured something had to be in the works or already done :). I like how on the ecovent page one of their testimonials the guy talks about a 15 degree difference in rooms! That's a bit crazy?

I can't decide if I like or dislike the sensors being plug covers, it's clever, but also not as flexible.

All these things, I wish they were all connected. Vents open and close, thermostat/sensors everywhere, blinds open/close/adjust, lighting on/off, all with a central AI tuning everything. But then when my house becomes 'aware' and decides I am the problem, it will destroy me.

bemyax
  • skunkiechrisskunkiechris United StatesMember

The ability to allow AUX heat to be used in smart recovery would be useful in cases where the OAT is below the lockout point on dual fuel systems. Today the system does nothing until the set time arrives, then engages AUX and just begins heating when the house should already be heated up. Support mentioned this was intentional as AUX heat is more expensive, but the user should really be able to decide if spending the extra money is worth not getting out of bed to a freezing house!

• shabbyshabby ehMember

msaleem said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have compiled the main ones in the list below. If I missed yours or you have more ideas, please add them to the list and I will deliver the complete list to the product management team by the end of day on Friday.

Whats the status/eta of these features?

• jmattionijmattioni Philadelphia, PAMember

Just a short list here:

• Outside temp shown on idle display near weather icon.

• It would be nice to have an option for an outside temp/humidity sensor. I live in a rural area and the web weather temp data is close but isn't always accurate for my location. This could be a wireless sensor like the indoor sensors.

• It would be nice to have some AUX inputs to the tstat that can be used to generate alerts. My heat pump has an "L" 24v signal that's asserted if there's a compressor lockout due to a problem. It would be nice to see an alert if that were to happen.

• Z-wave radio module for ecobee3!

liqianghua
  • rafalerafale United StatesMember

After doing a lot of testing, finding out my first unit was defective and having gotten it replaced by a super fast customer service (I am impressed!). The biggest request I have right now is to have the ability to control the time before activation of the smart home/smart away feature. Example: I get home for unscheduled lunch, Smart home activates, I leave to work and smart home stays on for another 2 hours after I leave... Kind of a waste. I wish it could be set to 30min. I have sensors everywhere in my house now so there is no way I would not be sensed for more than 30min while I am at home during the day. Different setups and people may need to set different times.

Nosix
  • ChrisD24ChrisD24 Salisbury, NCMember

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but anyway @ecobee can put the total time (maybe in parenthesis) on the system monitor screen so that instead of seeing 4:15, 5, 2:15 you can see 4:15 (Total 11:30)? Hope that makes sense. :)

Nosix
  • AilvessAilvess MontrealMember

@shawnmek

shawnmek said:
    I figured something had to be in the works or already done :).

These ideas are already implemented for smart hubs. Take a look at the work done by yracine, a developer active on this forum who works exactly on this.
    I was looking at his code and I find it very interesting. Start by this post to begin with:
    http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/discussion/comment/2712/

• ultradianguyultradianguy United StatesMember

Would be great to have fan control settings coupled to comfort settings - specifically, fan minimum run time. When I'm away on Vacation, I don't need the fan to run min 10 min/hour as I normally have it set when Home.

Johnsnownoamparn

Would be helpful to have an additional IFTTT action: Set to a Comfort Profile indefinitely.

jreaysimaredia

One more - would be very helpful if you could activate a comfort setting from Android. There was a thread about coming home from a trip and wanting to warm up the house without smart away getting triggered and the suggestion was to use a PreWarm program that doesn't expect occupancy. But I can't see how I would activate that from the android client.

• mustang_52mustang_52 United StatesMember

is like an option to have the fan runtime only work when the system is on. Is prefer to only have the fan circulating air when I'm running the air or heat. I know I could just change the fan setting but it's just a convenience thing.

• mustang_52 said:
    is like an option to have the fan runtime only work when the system is on. Is prefer to only have the fan circulating air when I'm running the air or heat. I know I could just change the fan setting but it's just a convenience thing.

I think that's how it works when the fan setting is "at least 0 min/hour?"

You might need to play with HVAC/Thermostat fan control option for your specific system, I guess.

• mustang_52mustang_52 United StatesMember
    edited April 2015

briansusername said:

mustang_52 said:

I think that's how it works when the fan setting is "at least 0 min/hour?"

You might need to play with HVAC/Thermostat fan control option for your specific system, I guess.

If I leave the fan setting at 0 min/ hour then yes the fan on comes on when the unit is running. What I meant was is like to set it to like 10 min/hour but I don't want it to do that if my system is off. I believe it will still circulate even when the system is not set for cool/heat.

• ss82ss82 CanadaMember

bpoland said:
    I think it would be great if the ecobee3 could turn on the furnace fan automatically when it detects a big temperature variation between the different remote sensors, to try to even the temperature out. Are there any plans to do that?

I know that there's a setting to automatically run the fan for a certain amount of time each hour, but this would avoid running the fan more than needed.

Thanks!

I second this.

• sgd2zsgd2z Member

Have fan control as part of the comfort profiles. e.g. run fan x min/hour only as part of the home/sleep profile - dont care about it in away mode.

briansusernamelouisw
  • When having the tstat in Auto mode changing the temp is very annoying. e.g. If I want to lower the temp from 77 to 75, the tstat refuses to do it because the temp differential between heat and cold is set to 5 degress. I have to lower my heat setting to 70 and then lower the cool setting to 75.

The tstat should automatically offset the heat settings for me.

Personally I don't care for the the UI of dragging the numbers up and down to adjust the settings. I can't tell if my finger is touching the correct spot. Many times it takes me two tries to get the dragging to work.

briansusernamebemyax
  • jmattionijmattioni Philadelphia, PAMember

One small request for Home IQ/System. When you scroll the data under the vertical reference line to a block of run time it reports a time in minutes on the right side. But, it seems to do that in max 5 minute chunks so you have to take note of the start and stop times of the block if you want to know the actual run time.

It would be more useful if the value shown on the right side in Home IQ/System indicated the run time for the entire block under the vertical line.

• PaxonatorPaxonator CanadaMember

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I would like an adjustable auto away time limit. 2 hours is to long in my opinion.

jaumsbemyax
  • h2ogoodh2ogood United StatesMember

my 2 cents: display the time, seriously! (or consider a menu option / checkbox that would allow a user to include the time on their homescreen if they wanted). this is driving me crazy since our previous t-stat had the time.
    + outdoor humidity: one of the reasons I purchased the Ecobb3 was for smarter humidity control; I'd love to see the outdoor humidity listed (it's in the Home IQ, so I know it's available), as it would help in a quick view/comparison (I could care less today, but in the Minnesota winter, I'd be curious).
    Last: if you wanted to go all out - give the user a cusomizable home screen where they could drag & drop the info they wanted, but I'd take just the time and outdoor humidity for now.
    Thanks for the recent outdoor temp view!

Follow up on my earlier request about manually choosing comfort zones - I originally said from Android, but really it should be from anywhere. Here's why: When I'm working from home in my office in my basement, I want to turn off all the other sensors because the basement is typically MUCH colder when the AC runs (at least 10 deg colder, even with all the vents closed). If I'm sitting here for a while, eventually ecobee figures out this is the only occupied room. But If I run upstairs to get a cup of coffee, Ecobee sees movement and sets those rooms to occupied which then makes the basement office too cold again. If I always worked down here on a set schedule, I could create an appropriate comfort zone using just basement sensor - but my schedule is erratic. Instead, just like I can change temp on thermostat and tell it for 4 hours or until I change it - I'd like to be able to select a comfort zone and decide how long. The critical issue being that the comfort zone in addition to temp chooses sensors, and tells the system if the house is occupied or unoccupied.

• @ultradianguy
    If I understand correctly what you want, you can do that now with firmware 3.6 and IFTTT (not as nice as an integrated solution, but maybe a useful stopgap).

Without having tried this, here's what I think the steps would be:
    - Create a new Comfort Profile via the web interface (named e.g. WorkAtHome)
    - Set the temperature, participating sensors (basement only), and the "occupied" state for WorkAtHome
    - Get the IFTTT "Do Button" app
    - Set up three actions (3 is the limit) in the Do Button app to put your ecobee in the WorkAtHome Comfort Profile for the next 4 hours, 6 hours, and 8 hours (or indefinitely, and then you just need to tap Resume on the ecobee or mobile app later)
    - When starting to work in the basement, open the Do Button app and press the appropriate button, based on how long you expect to work

Of course, you can set up any other IFTTT trigger that you can think of, or even manually trigger an action from your computer in the basement when you start working.

So yeah, not the simplest, but it might just serve your purpose!

@briansusername - thanks! That sounds workable - I'll give it a try!

• TMTorontoTMToronto TorontoMember

I have resisted the purchase of central air, and use the ecobee3 fan features to circulate cooler basement air throughout the house - particularly in the evening. It would be great if I could set a fan schedule to run during certain defined periods of the day, and if I could have it run for a certain length of time that is not limited to the one hour period. It would help save electricity by reducing the fan motor runtime, while allowing for greater customization and comfort.