If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 Feature Request Thread

Comments

• gizbuggizbug ChicagoMember

Have any of these suggestions made it into software updates?

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember
    edited July 2016

Have any of these suggestions made it into software updates?

NO! They have not. :(

I feel like we're yelling into a black hole, here. I have gotten a reassurance from Mikey that they're working on them,

I understand your frustration, but your ideas don't go un-noticed. We would love to add all your ideas as they come along. But unfortunately it's not as easy as it might seem. It takes a lot of resources to create and program the feature into the thermostat. So we've come out with a few, but not all. We are still adding more and more as time goes on, but unfortunately it just takes some time. We really do love all the feedback you guys give us! And I hope to be on here more!

but the proof is in the pudding.

• mrkwkkrnmrkwkkrn IndianapolisMember
    edited July 2016

Is there any way to add manually adjustable fan control? For those with variable blowers, it would be great to have a feature that you can set thresholds for the fan, such as 5% for idle, 50% for AC, 35% for heat stage 1, 60% for heat stage 2, etc. A button to hit when you want to boost the fan would also be great for parties!

Could this be controlled by voltage or something?

mrs.n.kaye
  • jaumsjaums United StatesMember

I agree! High fan speed when it's hot outside could seriously even temps in the house + the moving air makes you cooler so you may be just as comfortable with a higher temp setting. A fan on low can help even out temps in cold weather while not producing a cooling breeze.

But, (I'm not a HVAC professional) from reading the manual & specs of my new furnace/AC air handler, fan speed is controlled only by the motherboard of the furnace. It has some dip switches to make some adjustments, but the thermostat terminals on the furnace (for the wires to the thermostat) seem to offer only "constant on" or "auto" meaning only those options are available to the thermostat, no matter how smart it is. It's a shame, especially since the fan motors used for furnaces now days is designed for multi-speed.

• everamazedeveramazed Miami, FL USAMember
    edited July 2016

It would be really great to add a simple Fan Timer so that we can run just the fan for periods of time. (I use 15, 30, 1hr, 2hr) the most. The existing option to run for a time period every hour for circulation is great too. Circulation on demand would be awesome!

• ptr727ptr727 90266Member

I would like the ability sync manual away and home modes between two thermostats.

E.g. when I leave the house the downstairs thermostat is easily accessible, and I enter manual away mode, but the upstairs thermostat is still on its regular schedule, so I need to either walk upstairs, or use the mobile app.

• makrovimakrovi ChicagoMember

There should be a way to do a temperature offset of individual sensors. Changing just the temperature of the main unit (which is already pretty inaccurate) via the temperature offset just changes the average temperature of all the sensors. This is kind of useless if my individual sensors are all reading a temperature that is significantly higher than what the unit is reading.

• bobr829bobr829 FloridaMember

Is there a way that EB can revert back to the scheduled temp after a period of time. That means, if I change the temp it would revert back within a certain period of time.

• @bobr829 said:
    Is there a way that EB can revert back to the scheduled temp after a period of time. That means, if I change the temp it would revert back within a certain period of time.

Go to Menu>Settings>Preferences>Hold Action and change that setting. As a backup, I use this recipe in case there are any indefinite holds: https://ifttt.com/recipes/459111-reset-ecobee-every-night . Just make sure to disable the recipe when going on vacation.

Minor request, but when going to Menu>About, I should be able to change the thermostat name by clicking on it.

• Would love to see the ecobee thermostat make an option available to check for a firmware update, and to apply it. Seems that ecobee thermostats that are not online when a firmware update is pushed out will never get the update. This is a big penalty for those thermostats that are sitting on a retail shelf when the update event occurs.

nsneoSPANNERolannister80
  • mrs.n.kayemrs.n.kaye FLMember
    edited October 2016

1 - Variable Speed functionality and programming for more precise efficiency. (This has already been requested from previous posters.)

2 - Ability to control Dehumidifying system built-in to my HVAC system vs. as a separate or additional system This would be different from the AC Overcool feature and would actually connect to the system built into the HVAC system as provided in my Rheem.

3 - Schedule Programming: Like the already available Vacation scheduling but with the added benefit to also designate recurring events if they are either daily, weekly, monthly, annually, etc...Just like appointment scheduling functions on electronic calendar systems.

• Example 1: I work every 3 days regardless of day of the week. Therefore my schedule rotates about every 3rd week too. For instance I worked this Tuesday, then I don't go back to work until Friday, then on Monday, etc... I won't be back to work on a Tuesday for 3 weeks. So my Home, Away rotates accordingly.

• Example 2: Let's say I have Bible Study every 2nd Tuesday of the Month at a specific time. I'd like to be able to have that specific temperature preference setting happen on only those days for that time period then revert back to default after Bible study ends without having to add it to each and every month on the app.
  • techalantechalan Youngstown, OHMember

I think these would be great to see as new features:

1.) There may be one particularly hot or cold room in the house that needs catered to. I want to make sure that room is always a certain temperature. I could only use that room temperature in the comfort setting, but I also want to consider the other rooms and not over heat/cool them. It would be nice to have an average override that says use all these sensors but don't let any one of them get below X°F or above X°F

2.) Outside air reset for room setpoints. If outside air is above a certain setpoint use these room setpoints, if it is below that same number use the same room setpoints but add X°F to both of them. In northeast ohio we have drastic temperature swings. Earlier this week it was 80°F, today it's 42°F. To compensate I had to change from my normal setpoints of 67°F (Heating) 74°F (Cooling) to 70°F (Heating) and 77°F (Cooling).

3.) I think it was mentioned here before, but I would love to see a remote duct sensor with some options for functionality. I could see using them for the following:

a.) Use supply temp to determine how long a fan runs after heating stops

b.) Use return temp in place of remote sensors to get a whole house average (using this control would override fan on all the time).

c.) Use supply temp to alarm when heating or cooling is on and supply temp shows that they are not reaching desired setpoints.

d.) Use supply and return temps to monitor cooling and heating delta T. This would be great to point out issues with condensing unit charges etc.

• OshawapilotOshawapilot Courtice, OntarioMember

Just installed my Ecobee3 a few nights ago and I must say I echo a few (or many) of the requests here. I'm liking it so far but I do have a few suggestions, and some gripes.

• No clock on the display? Really? All but the dirt cheapest programmable thermostats typically display the time somewhere, and I really got used to using our old Honeywell touch screen thermostat as a clock when in the same room as the thermostat.

• The web portal system monitor page seems to be a hour behind the thermostat itself. For example it's now 8:50PM and the latest data on the web portal is 7:50PM. Rather annoying personally as I'm a data junkie and one of the first things I've been doing in the morning is looking at my overnight (and "wake up") HVAC utilization, only to see 1 hour old data at the newest. One of the reasons I bought the Ecobee was for all the data is can produce, so why is the web portal so far behind all the time?

• The web portal does not refresh automatically on many pages, and clicking reload on the browser simply results in a black page in places - one then needs to manually go back to ecobee.com and then to the login page every time - not very graceful IMHO.

• In the manual override a schedule feature I wish there was a few more options for time instead of just 2, 4, until next scheduled event, or hold.

• Would like to see remote sensor data on the display without having to dig into a menu to find it.

• There's a lot of wasted real estate on the thermostat itself - I know some may appreciate the "clean" UI but it would be nice if some more data and option setpoints could be added to the "awake" screen if the end user desired.

• Ditto the smartphone app, a lot of wasted realestate and forced to dig into the menu options to see data that could easily be shown on the main screen itself.

And the firmware, well, yes...it's not clear if my thermostat is even up to date, and no way apparently to force or request such.

thealdlenos

@lannister80 said:
    but the proof is in the pudding.

Wonder why this thread continues if nothing ever gets incorporated...

gpzbc

@gizbug said:
    Wonder why this thread continues if nothing ever gets incorporated...

An excellent question...

• NEED ability to set custom hold times. If I come home for awhile at 11:00 am and will be leaving at 2:00 pm, my current choices are limited to '2 hrs' and sweating from 1:00 to 2:00, or '4 hrs' and cooling the house unnecessarily from 3:00 to 4:00. The 'next schedule' selection is not an acceptable alternative, I need the option to enter the time: '3:00pm' to end the hold, or at a minimum you should provide more preset options than just two/four hour options. How much work can it actually be to add some extra hour increments to the list? The existing are far too restrictive.

• This tops my wish list:

Currently, I can invoke the default comfort settings (i.e., home, away, sleep) any time I want. But CUSTOM comfort settings can only be part of schedule and never invoked at will. Most custom comfort settings wouldn't be needed as part of a schedule, but rather on demand. It's strange that I can tell Siri "Good Night" at any time (day or night) to activate the sleep setting, but custom settings can't be used in this way.

For example, I want to create a custom comfort setting called "Exercise". For this setting, I would have it disregard all sensors except Living Room (since this is where I exercise). This way I can keep the living room at whatever temperature I desire during my workout regardless of other rooms' temperatures. I'd prefer to tell Siri "Excercise" to activate this, but currently I can only use that setting as part of a schedule. I don't have a rigid exercise schedule, so it's no good to me.

Could this function please me integrated? Think of the possibilities. A "Cooking Time" setting that keeps the kitchen comfortable when the oven is on. Or "Meal Time" which keeps the dining room comfortable during a meal. "Movie Time" to monitor only the den. And so on.

Note: I'm aware that Follow Me is intended to keep you comfortable wherever you are, but there's so much of a delay, plus it's thrown off by repeated short trips around the house.

• thealtheal NYCMember

@mrs.n.kaye said:

2 - Ability to control Dehumidifying system built-in to my HVAC system vs. as a separate or additional system This would be different from the AC Overcool feature and would actually connect to the system built into the HVAC system as provided in my Rheem.

Setup ACC as Dehumidifier and connect it to your HVAC built-in Dehumidifier

edited November 2016

Any plans on allowing Follow Me to be only enabled on certain profiles, not an all the time thing?

Seems the only Employee of Ecobee thats posted in this thread, is no longer active on these boards. Maybe that is why none of this stuff gets incorporated ?
    http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/profile/discussions/154/EcobeeTS

• rambalu80rambalu80 Katy TXMember

@msaleem said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have compiled the main ones in the list below. If I missed yours or you have more ideas, please add them to the list and I will deliver the complete list to the product management team by the end of day on Friday.

Thermostat:

>
    • Numeric temperature value as part of the weather icon
    • >
    • Separate equipment interface mobile for additional auxiliary inputs
    • >
    • Clock and outside temperature on idle screen and home screen
    • >
    • Furnace staging information on the idle screen
    • >
    • Explicit fan controls for each custom setting (like “Advanced Fan Control” in Nest)
    • >
    • Option to not have firmware updates apply automatically (require user approval)
    • >
    • Allow custom/personal weather stations as an input option for weather
    • >
    • Option to name vacations instead of just dates
    • >
    • It is not clear what “pop%” means
    • >
    • Need a smarter way to handle aux instead of kicking on after 30 minutes
    • >
    • Scheduling on 5-minute increments instead of 30-minute intervals
    • >
    • Icon reference guide available on the stat itself
    • >
    • Allow min/max on the “Smart Away” temperature setback
    • >
    • Scheduling more than one week
    • >
    • Indicate system mode / equipment running on idle screen >

Sensors:

>
    • More insight into and control over sensor weighing, assigning sensors to comfort settings, control over Smart Home/Away
    • >
    • Option to set high/low temperature-based alerts for remote sensors
    • >
    • API access to sensor data
    • >
    • +/- temperature calibration for each sensor
    • >

Mobile app:

>
    • Temperature and occupancy data from remote sensors
    • >
    • Back button doesn’t work the way it is supposed to (on Android)
    • >
    • Demo mode should indicate “demo mode”
    • >
    • Notification Centre widgets for at a glance temperature/occupancy monitoring and quick changes
    • >
    • Refresh button on the app so information is always up to date
    • >
    • Receive push notifications if Smart Home is activated
    • >
    • Dedicated app for iPad
    • >

Web portal:

>
    • Multiple user accounts for the same household
    • >
    • Online demo and overview video
    • >

Purchased an Ecobee3 over the weekend and quite happy so far. The list above seems quite extensive and being new to Ecobee, it appears that most of these have already been taken care of.

I'm particularly interested in scheduling increments more frequent than the current 30-minute intervals. I would welcome 15 minute increments or better and 15 minute increments appears to be quite common on most basic thermostats.

Overall, so far, I think this is a great stat!

edited November 2016

it appears that most of these have already been taken care of.

What?? No they have NOT. You also forget that that list was compiled more than a year ago.

• bukzinbukzin CaliforniaMember

@msaleem said:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. I have compiled the main ones in the list below. If I missed yours or you have more ideas, please add them to the list and I will deliver the complete list to the product management team by the end of day on Friday.

Thermostat:

>
    • Numeric temperature value as part of the weather icon
    • >
    • Separate equipment interface mobile for additional auxiliary inputs
    • >
    • Clock and outside temperature on idle screen and home screen
    • >
    • Furnace staging information on the idle screen
    • >
    • Explicit fan controls for each custom setting (like “Advanced Fan Control” in Nest)
    • >
    • Option to not have firmware updates apply automatically (require user approval)
    • >
    • Allow custom/personal weather stations as an input option for weather
    • >
    • Option to name vacations instead of just dates
    • >
    • It is not clear what “pop%” means
    • >
    • Need a smarter way to handle aux instead of kicking on after 30 minutes
    • >
    • Scheduling on 5-minute increments instead of 30-minute intervals
    • >
    • Icon reference guide available on the stat itself
    • >
    • Allow min/max on the “Smart Away” temperature setback
    • >
    • Scheduling more than one week
    • >
    • Indicate system mode / equipment running on idle screen >

Sensors:

>
    • More insight into and control over sensor weighing, assigning sensors to comfort settings, control over Smart Home/Away
    • >
    • Option to set high/low temperature-based alerts for remote sensors
    • >
    • API access to sensor data
    • >
    • +/- temperature calibration for each sensor
    • >

Mobile app:

>
    • Temperature and occupancy data from remote sensors
    • >
    • Back button doesn’t work the way it is supposed to (on Android)
    • >
    • Demo mode should indicate “demo mode”
    • >
    • Notification Centre widgets for at a glance temperature/occupancy monitoring and quick changes
    • >
    • Refresh button on the app so information is always up to date
    • >
    • Receive push notifications if Smart Home is activated
    • >
    • Dedicated app for iPad
    • >

Web portal:

>
    • Multiple user accounts for the same household
    • >
    • Online demo and overview video
    • >
  • bukzinbukzin CaliforniaMember

Wow, great list! Is there another version of it showing which of the above have been addressed as of today, November 2016 ?

gpzbc
  • For those of us with our Ecobee3 wired to control the solenoid of our humidifier a "water saving" option on the humidifier settings would be useful. When enabled and the Ecobee3 determined that the humidifier should be turned on, the Ecobee3 would cycle the solenoid, 4 seconds on, 30 seconds off, repeat until humidifier is no longer called for. Better yet allow the user to set how many seconds out of 30 the solenoid should be on for. This gives enough time to wet down the pad, but doesn't waste water by running continuously.

gpzbc
  • gpzbcgpzbc Colorado, USAMember

@ccsattler said:
    For those of us with our Ecobee3 wired to control the solenoid of our humidifier a "water saving" option on the humidifier settings would be useful. When enabled and the Ecobee3 determined that the humidifier should be turned on, the Ecobee3 would cycle the solenoid, 4 seconds on, 30 seconds off, repeat until humidifier is no longer called for. Better yet allow the user to set how many seconds out of 30 the solenoid should be on for. This gives enough time to wet down the pad, but doesn't waste water by running continuously.

Yes!!!! +1

• schneidschneid ChicagoMember

I suspect that the following feature may have been enabled in 3.7.0.950 or another recent firmware update:
    When setting a temp hold, it now holds the temp in the current comfort zone, rather than as an average across all the sensors.

This is what it appears to be doing for me now. I just set a temp hold at 71, and the average of my sensors is 67.75 but the furnace doesn't turn on. The temp of the current comfort zone is 70 and my differential is 2 degrees; this is why I think it is now using the current comfort zone instead of average.

A better improvement would be to allow choosing a comfort zone when setting a temp hold, but at least this is a minor improvement.

gpzbc
  • OshawapilotOshawapilot Courtice, OntarioMember

@ccsattler said:
    For those of us with our Ecobee3 wired to control the solenoid of our humidifier a "water saving" option on the humidifier settings would be useful. When enabled and the Ecobee3 determined that the humidifier should be turned on, the Ecobee3 would cycle

Partially close the tap for the line leading to the humidifier - much easier.

I have mine at about the 50% point - runs enough water to wet the pad fully but minimizes the amount that hits the bypass and runs down the drain.

• geeman1082geeman1082 MissouriMember
    edited December 2016

(1) Improved logic for the humidifier control. The target indoor humidity needs to be reduced at lower outside temperatures. For example, some references (including my old humidistat) suggest the target indoor humidity should be 35% when it is below freezing outside, and 25% max when the outside temp approaches 0°F (-18°C). Of course this varies based on window types, etc., but my double-pane windows are sweating and it's not even winter yet. (Update: I've read that others are having issues with this also, but haven't seen any recent discussions.) (Update#2: lannister80's reply below caused me to go double-check my settings, which were not correct.)

(2) An option to automatically cycle the fan when two sensors show more than a specified temperature difference from one another. This would be especially helpful for those with multi-level homes, where simply running the fan can move the warmer air downstairs or the cooler air upstairs without kicking in the heavy machinery.

@geeman1082 said:
    (1) Improved logic for the humidifier control. The target indoor humidity needs to be reduced at lower outside temperatures. For example, some references (including my old humidistat) suggest the target indoor humidity should be 35% when it is below freezing outside, and 25% max when the outside temp approaches 0°F (-18°C). Of course this varies based on window types, etc., but my double-pane windows are sweating and it's not even winter yet. (Update: I've read that others are having issues with this also, but haven't seen any recent discussions.)

The Ecobee3 already does this. You set the humidifier to "frost control" instead of a specific humidity set-point. Then, somewhere in the Threshold settings, there is a "window efficiency" setting that tells the E3 how severely to reduce the humidity when it's cold outside. Lower efficiency number = less humidity as the temp drops.

(2) An option to automatically cycle the fan when two sensors show more than a specified temperature difference from one another. This would be especially helpful for those with multi-level homes, where simply running the fan can move the warmer air downstairs or the cooler air upstairs without kicking in the heavy machinery.

Totally agree. We've been asking for this feature for years.

geeman1082
  • geeman1082geeman1082 MissouriMember

@lannister80 said:
    The Ecobee3 already does this. You set the humidifier to "frost control" instead of a specific humidity set-point. Then, somewhere in the Threshold settings, there is a "window efficiency" setting that tells the E3 how severely to reduce the humidity when it's cold outside. Lower efficiency number = less humidity as the temp drops.

Thanks, I was sure I had set it to Auto but when I double-checked it was not. Now after several very cool nights I've only had one room with a little bit of condensation, and that is likely due to the type of window coverings, so I have adjusted them to allow more airflow at the bottom.

I've seen others reference the window efficiency setting but I cannot find it anywhere. Can someone please point me in the right direction?