If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Heat Generation

fuzeletfuzelet USAMember
edited April 2015 in ecobee

I have been experiencing some weird heat variation on the main ecobee3 thermostat. First I noticed that the temperature around the main thermostat is about 3-5 degrees warmer then in the room itself. This is kind of expected as the thing is a mini computer. Secondly I noticed the vents on the thermostat are on the bottom... Doesn't heat rise? I have been using the large wall plate and maybe that is contributing.

I have since removed the large plate and will report back once it has warmed up, etc.

Anyone else notice this behavior as well?

«1

Comments

  • jreaysjreays OhioMember

    I think I might be experiencing this issue when the fan is running. I am using the large faceplate. Please let me know if removing it seemed to solve the issue.

  • jmattionijmattioni Philadelphia, PAMember

    Make sure the hole in the wall for wires behind the tstat is plugged. Plumbers putty works well and isn't too messy. Any airflow in or out of the wall can affect the main sensor.

  • jreaysjreays OhioMember

    Thank you for the tip. The hole in my wall is actually sealed. I was surprised when I took off the old thermostat.

    jmattioni said:
    Make sure the hole in the wall for wires behind the tstat is plugged. Plumbers putty works well and isn't too messy. Any airflow in or out of the wall can affect the main sensor.

  • JMDJMD London OntarioMember

    I am experiencing this issue as well. My E3 internal temperature reading is 4-5C above actual room temperature. It was accurate in heating mode but became inaccurate when I switched into cooling mode. I do have the wire hole plugged so that is not the issue. I do not use the large faceplate. The E3 is not being affected by another heat source such as the sun. I have currently taken the E3 out of the house temperature settings so that my geothermal unit would not overrun but I would certainly like to correct the issue and get it back in the mix. Thoughts on what might be causing this?

  • DB2DB2 Member

    New to this forum. I have the same issue with my E3. For brevity, I'll direct user's here to Amazon and search for "Ecobee3 WiFi thermostat with remote." The product customer review under ' most helpful critical review' by David G titled Great potential but some design issues gives thorough analysis and is correct...as far as my verification. Good luck to those with this overheat issue.

  • fuzeletfuzelet USAMember

    I have also noticed recently that when the air conditioning is running, temperature spikes 4-5 degrees just on the main thermostat. I had to remove the main thermostat from any comfort settings as it makes everything run extra long. I even changed to the smaller holder and nothing seems to help. Mine is maybe two months old. Are we experiencing defective units that need to be replaced?

  • bryanlylebryanlyle VAMember

    Exact same situation. Unit worked fine in hearing mode (pre 3.6 update). I'm using a remote sensor as the temp reading until this can be resolved.

  • Wade_0Wade_0 Ashland, ORMember
    edited June 2015

    Mine is also reading a few degrees high. I have only had it for about a week, and only used it in cooling mode, so I can't comment how it behaves in heat mode. I bought a couple extra sensors and placed them nearby, and the ecobee3 itself is always reading 2-3 degrees higher than the remote sensors. I also have plugged the hole behind the thermostat but it didn't make much of a difference.

  • RichamerRichamer NCMember

    I have noticed this same phenomenon. When the air is sitting idol the Ecobee will report the same temp as the rest of the room. But with in the minute of the furnace blower kicking on it will read 1-2 degrees higher. I have two units and they are both displaying this. There is no air leak in the wall as I have filled the hole in the wall and the old screw holes from the back of the wall.

    The downstairs unit use to have a hole in the wall and its temperature would drop as it was due to air coming up from a crawl space. The raise in temperature is baffling. I have debated getting a cover to stop downward drafts caused by the high velocity blower on my unit from causing the rise in temperature.

    Wonder if I could find some thing temporary as I am also worried the box would increase the temp the ecobee sees.

  • ZD2342ZD2342 Member

    Are these temp spikes on the main sensor recorded on your HomeIQ page?

    I have not noticed this on my two E3s, but I'll have to keep an eye on it the next time it warms up in my area.

  • JMDJMD London OntarioMember

    I worked with Ecobee tech support, who were very helpful, and it appears the issue is with the O/B being energized for my A/C on my geothermal unit and it is raising the internal sensor temperature due to the amps on this circuit. They recommended that I install an isolation relay for the O/B circuit to resolve the issue. I have the relay on order and will provide an update once installed.

  • lgordonlgordon United StatesMember

    Looks my recent post is due to the same symptoms. I'm going to pick up a mechanical relay to isolate the ecobee.

  • jreaysjreays OhioMember

    Interesting, I do not have a wire connected to O/B and am still experiencing this issue. I think I will have to call support.

  • RichamerRichamer NCMember
    edited June 2015

    I am beginning to wonder if it is some how tied to how the sensor measures the temperature and the RH of the room. I have tried adjusting the temperature only to see the RH of the room change with the new adjusted temperature. When I first installed the Ecobee in winter I calibrated them with the old thermostat I was using which moved the temperature they where seeing to -1.5 degrees F. And that was with our house very dry the air was 30% RH and lower. The temps the Ecobee reported where great well with in the rounding that the unit does as it measures 3 digits but displays 2.

    I have since closed the leaks that where causing the really low humidity in winter but I did this in the spring and noticed that as I tightened up the house my humidity kept rising my down stairs ecobee reported 64% and the upstairs was at 57%. Well after more digging I found that the down stairs AC was not draining properly the unit had settled on its cinderblock foundation and the drain pan was leaning slightly away from the drain. Now that I have that corrected the unit has run a few times but not enough to truly dry it out. So my home is sitting at just sub 60% on both units. I have a hot few days coming so hoping that will run both units to lower the humidity.

    But all this has left me wondering what the tie between the temperature the main unit reads and the humidity is.

  • JMDJMD London OntarioMember

    Issue Fixed. I installed the isolation relay for the O/B circuit as instructed by Ecobee tech support. Wiring the relay was fairly easy to do. Everything is operating properly and the E3 internal temperature sensor is now reading the correct room temperature.

    gmartine
  • DB2DB2 Member

    I'll repost as this really explains the overheat of the smart stats using FET controlled switching.> DB2 said:

    New to this forum. I have the same issue with my E3. For brevity, I'll direct user's here to Amazon and search for "Ecobee3 WiFi thermostat with remote." The product customer review under ' most helpful critical review' by David G titled Great potential but some design issues gives thorough analysis and is correct...as far as my verification. Good luck to those with this overheat issue.

  • RichamerRichamer NCMember

    Okay I was talking with Ecobee Support and they gave me the same explanation that it was a draft in my house that caused the temperature rise. But while I had both my units off the wall and was checking for any leak just to be sure that there was no leak.

    As I was about to reinstall the Ecobee units I noticed there was a plug in the top for an expansion port. Well I started wondering if there was enough air flow inside the unit so I thought what could it hurt to take this plug out the hole is covered by the wall mount any way.

    After taking these plugs out of both my units I no longer have a temp gain when the air is being called for. I sent an email back to support telling them what I did and the results and also told them I would let them know how it goes tomorrow.

  • Wade_0Wade_0 Ashland, ORMember
    edited June 2015

    I've sent 2 support requests for this issue now and haven't gotten a single response. I wonder why they don't suggest the relay for my issue? You can see the spike in the HomeIQ graphs, it actually looks like waves in a lake. The temp will be pretty flat, but when the AC kicks on in the temp immediately spikes. As soon as the system turns off, the temp drops back down.

  • JimJim Birmingham, ALMember

    I've noticed this too, I had assumed it was warm air coming from the other end of the house, causing a jump in temperature. I'll try the plug thing Richamer mentioned tonight, see if it helps.

  • Wade_0Wade_0 Ashland, ORMember

    I think if it was related to heat from other parts of the house, you'd also see the spikes whenever the fan comes on in refresh mode (the portion of the graph where the fan is running but there's no blue bar at the top). Those sections of the graph are pretty smooth though.

  • fuzeletfuzelet USAMember
    edited June 2015

    JMD said:
    Issue Fixed. I installed the isolation relay for the O/B circuit as instructed by Ecobee tech support. Wiring the relay was fairly easy to do. Everything is operating properly and the E3 internal temperature sensor is now reading the correct room temperature.

    Sadly I am not using the O/B circuit. I am using the PEK that came with it since i only have 4 wires.

    Guess I need to open a case with Ecobee?

  • bryanlylebryanlyle VAMember

    I'm getting the same runaround too. Ecobee even pulled data from my thermostat and saw that the temp difference was happening between the thermostat and the remote sensor and said it was behaving normally. If I only relied on my thermostat for the room temp, my AC would never cut off.

  • jmattionijmattioni Philadelphia, PAMember

    If an isolation relay worked for some on the O/B line then this would suggest that, in some cases, any of the control lines could be drawing enough current to heat the E3 sensor. That's a bit odd since most HVAC control boards should already have suitable isolation for the tstat.

    @fuzelet: it's also odd that you're having the problem with the PEK installed. The PEK contains relays that effectively isolate the E3. The relays have a small current draw that the E3 should be able to handle without heating up the sensor.

    For whatever reason I don't seem to have this problem. If I did then my solution would be to disable use of the E3 sensor and just use remote sensors. How about placing a remote sensor right next to the E3 on the wall and see what happens?

  • JimJim Birmingham, ALMember

    This morning, I stuck my remote sensor on the wall next to the thermostat. It's consistently reading 2 degrees cooler than the thermostat. The ad has been running the whole time, so I don't know if they'll converge when it stops yet. I don't feel like it was 2 degrees off this winter (it may have been). So for now, I'll do a temperature adjustment on it. @msaleem is there any way to make it rerun the calibration routine to see if that fixes my problem?

  • msaleemmsaleem TorontoEcobee Employee

    Your ecobee3 will calibrate every time you unplug and replug it.

    Jim said:
    This morning, I stuck my remote sensor on the wall next to the thermostat. It's consistently reading 2 degrees cooler than the thermostat. The ad has been running the whole time, so I don't know if they'll converge when it stops yet. I don't feel like it was 2 degrees off this winter (it may have been). So for now, I'll do a temperature adjustment on it. @msaleem is there any way to make it rerun the calibration routine to see if that fixes my problem?

  • marc515marc515 NJ, USAMember

    As for temperature readings, my ecobee3 is all over the place. With my AC on and ceiling fan going the eb3 reading is cooler than the room temp. On a day when no AC is needed, the eb3 is spot on. I put plumber's putty so there is no draft from the wall cavity. My old Honeywell was always spot on. I called tech support and they had me adjust the eb3 with the Temperature Correction, and with the AC on, I was able to get it to match my mercury thermometer; however, with no AC needed today I had to readjust the Temp Correction back to "0". How are we able to have any comfort if the eb3 is all over the place. Is it possible I have a bad/overly sensitive eb3?

  • JimJim Birmingham, ALMember

    marc515 said:
    As for temperature readings, my ecobee3 is all over the place. With my AC on and ceiling fan going the eb3 reading is cooler than the room temp. On a day when no AC is needed, the eb3 is spot on. I put plumber's putty so there is no draft from the wall cavity. My old Honeywell was always spot on. I called tech support and they had me adjust the eb3 with the Temperature Correction, and with the AC on, I was able to get it to match my mercury thermometer; however, with no AC needed today I had to readjust the Temp Correction back to "0". How are we able to have any comfort if the eb3 is all over the place. Is it possible I have a bad/overly sensitive eb3?

    After watching mine all weekend with the room sensor on the wall next to it, mine was exactly the same as you describe. Sometimes it's 2 degrees lower, sometimes 2 degrees higher. very inconsistent.

  • fuzeletfuzelet USAMember

    Jim said:

    marc515 said:
    As for temperature readings, my ecobee3 is all over the place. With my AC on and ceiling fan going the eb3 reading is cooler than the room temp. On a day when no AC is needed, the eb3 is spot on. I put plumber's putty so there is no draft from the wall cavity. My old Honeywell was always spot on. I called tech support and they had me adjust the eb3 with the Temperature Correction, and with the AC on, I was able to get it to match my mercury thermometer; however, with no AC needed today I had to readjust the Temp Correction back to "0". How are we able to have any comfort if the eb3 is all over the place. Is it possible I have a bad/overly sensitive eb3?

    After watching mine all weekend with the room sensor on the wall next to it, mine was exactly the same as you describe. Sometimes it's 2 degrees lower, sometimes 2 degrees higher. very inconsistent.

    I have simply disabled the main thermostat from being used in any calculations and just use remote sensors. They seem to be most consistent. I have noticed that the main thermostat only spikes when the AC has been running for a decent amount of time. When it comes on in short bursts just to keep things nice and tidy, it doesn't spike. It is much more noticeable now that it is 98 outside and the AC runs a lot longer.

  • lgordonlgordon United StatesMember
    edited June 2015

    I don't want to speak too soon but I installed an MRB-8 relay board from Temco to switch everything and it now looks like the ecobee is now reporting a "correct" temperature. It was a pain to install in the crawlspace and had I known this would be neccesary I wouldn't have installed the ecobee. In retrospect maybe I should have just considered it a sunk-cost and put the old honeywell back. Oh well.

    I'm still not thrilled with the ecobee because it is obviously warmer than the surrounding environment and using some sort of algorithm to determine the actual room temperature. I'm curious if they also correct the RH% for the incorrect temp. I have a Vaisala and a Sensirion humidity/temperature sensors at work so I might bring one home and see how it compares.

  • RichamerRichamer NCMember

    I have noticed that any time I adjust the read temperature now on the main Ecobee the RH% will change is you go to -1 degrees the RH% will increase. I adjusted mine the last time with a dehumidifier set on 50% sitting with in the same general area. Then I set the temp. Now mine seems to be rather stable after removing that small plastic expansion slot cover from the unit. Both of my original thermostats where in the worst possible location. So I think the main Ecobee is very sensitive to Temp and humidity

    Just wish I had a way to adjust both temp and humidity independent of each other as I seem to be able to have one right and not the other. So I chose humidity.

Sign In or Register to comment.