If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Smart tstat owners: what firmware are you on and behaviour of Smart Recovery with a heatpump

dborndborn Montreal, CanadaMember
edited February 2015 in ecobee

Hi all,

I know the ecobee3 is all the rage right now but there are some of us still using the Smart thermostat.

My tstat is currently on firmware version 3.3.0.565 according to the "about" page on the web portal.

I'm seeing this incorrect Smart Recovery behaviour on mine and I'm hoping it's been fixed in later releases (as I believe I'm not on the latest release for some reason):

If the outside temperature is below the HP min cutoff temp, the heatpump obviously won't be used for Smart Recovery but while it waits for the right time to fire up the Aux heat for recovery, the outside temp goes just above the HP cutoff temp so now it doesn't do Aux heat recovery and doesn't even attempt HP recovery either (for which it couldn't meet the setpoint in time anyway).

I am hoping a later release knows to use Aux recovery even if outside temps are above the HP cutoff point.

Does anybody else have similar problems or am I the only one? I am tempted to write myself a "watchdog" script that will monitor inside temps as it gets closer to climate change and would decide to create an event to increase the set temp in order to at least get the house close to the set temp by the next climate change (instead of waking up to a house that is several degrees too cold because the Smart Recovery algorithm doesn't consider this situation).

Thanks,
Daniel

Addendum: I'm putting the finishing touches to my new "watchdog" script and will publish it on my github page once it works OK, if anybody is interested; which I doubt. :)

Comments

• jhagenjhagen MichiganMember

My EB-STAT02 is firmware 3.3.0.565 which according to support is the latest version as of three weeks ago. Can't help on the smart recovery issue as mine is geothermal.

• dborndborn Montreal, CanadaMember

Thanks, interesting that @yracine mentioned in a previous thread he has firmware 3.3.0.640 on his EB-STAT02. Perhaps he has special connections with ecobee ;)

• yracineyracine Montreal, Quebec (Canada)Member

@dborn, I confirm that I have 3.3.0.640. I got it from ecobee as a beta version for the new version of frostControl feature....

Thanks Yves for the confirmation. I figured it was something like that.
    Do you know if that firmware has other goodies on top of the frostControl feature? any idea on the general availability date? It's comforting to know that there is still some development involving the EB-STAT-02.

Cheers,
    Daniel

• a0128958a0128958 Dallas, TXMember

dborn said:
    ... It's comforting to know that there is still some development involving the EB-STAT-02.

This I doubt.

• yracineyracine Montreal, Quebec (Canada)Member
    edited February 2015

Well, actually, I think I got it quite a long time ago (several months, I don't remember when, but it was before the ecobee3 release for sure).... You may want to talk to ecobee in order to get this latest release. They told me it was strictly for better frost Control at that time.

Hmm, thanks Yves. Since I have my handy-dandy perl script to take care of frost-control dehumidifying, I probably don't care so much about built-in frost control, especially since I read alot of negative comments about it (not working and/or not in sync with exterior temperatures). I wish there were a few fixed things coming our way (like the HP Smart Recovery "hole") but I'll probably have better luck with my watchdog script I've started work on.

edited February 2015

a0128958 said:

dborn said:
    ... It's comforting to know that there is still some development involving the EB-STAT-02.

This I doubt.

One can always hope! ;) Frankly, I doubt it too. If ecobee hadn't worked so hard to "erase" it from their lineup and website ever since the 3 came out, I might have been more hopeful.