If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Humidifier and window efficiency

2»

Answers

• tbc007tbc007 MontrealMember
    edited June 2015

I know this isn't exactly the time of year for humidifiers...but any progress on this issue? Or will next winter be the same?

• rlbrlb NJMember

In my particular case it turns out the solenoid was frozen on the humidifier, so it was stuck in the on position which is why my humidity was so high. Hoping for better results this winter.

• SteveSteve Seattle, WAAdministrator

I see indoor humidity jump up when I take a shower!

• dx9dx9 CanadaMember

Talking about humidity. My E3 is always like 5-9% higher then any of the other meters I've tried. I've tried a reboot of the unit and still no go. Always off by 5-o% roughly. Guess I should ask ecobee for support or something

• Still not quite that time of year yet, but does anyone know if updates are planned to the frost control? I got a controller with my humidifier that got last year and never set up because I wanted ecobee to control everything. But if frost control is not going to be better this year then I'll set up the controller.

• dborndborn Montreal, CanadaMember

You should set up your controller... :)

• Dborn, how does your perl script work? I'm wondering how you would control the ecobee with it. I have a simple script in mind to replicate my humidifier's recommended humidity settings as a function of outdoor temperature, but don't know how to communicate with the ecobee to control it.

• Ok I have had my Eb3 setup for a week now. For 3 days, I had my humidity set at 30% and the frost was terrible.

I then set my frost control to enabled, and WE to 4, and ever sense I don't think my humidifier turned on once in the past four days. I'm hovering around 18% RH in my home.

So I wonder if something is still wrong with their algorithm?

Additionally, how are the folks generating those plots and graphs in previous comments? Again I've only had my unit for a week, so please pardon my noob-ness :) i'd love to be able to track my data like the folks in the previous comments.

Thanks!

• rlbrlb NJMember

Log on to your account at ecobee.com Check out the HomeIQ section, it'll give you some graphs (You can see when the humidifier is called for) and the option to download the data so you can play with it.

chipster
  • @rlb said:
    Log on to your account at ecobee.com Check out the HomeIQ section, it'll give you some graphs (You can see when the humidifier is called for) and the option to download the data so you can play with it.

Ahhhh no data available in my account yet. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I will keep an eye on my frost control, and if the humidifier even actuates at all since enabling the option. So far, it hasn't.

• I found that sett the efficiency to 5 was causing too much moisture on the windows in the cooler rooms and the 4 was too dry. I found the changing the Humidity offset by 2% put the humidity at a level where I get just a little bit of moisture on same windows on just the colder days.

chipster
  • rlbrlb NJMember

I'll have to look for the offset, is that new? Im in the same boat (somewhere between 4 & 5)

@Greencat said:
    I found that sett the efficiency to 5 was causing too much moisture on the windows in the cooler rooms and the 4 was too dry. I found the changing the Humidity offset by 2% put the humidity at a level where I get just a little bit of moisture on same windows on just the colder days.

• I think it was a added feature to build 323. If you are on an older build send a request to tech support to push the update. The setting is in Menu - Settings - Installation Settings -Thresholds near the bottom.

• The offset trick worked like a charm today @Greencat - thank you!!!

• aeroconfigsaeroconfigs OhioMember
    edited January 2016

The frost control algorithm is either needlessly complicated or just wrong. It should be a simple 1% humidity change for every 2 degrees F change in outdoor temperature. The offset should be based on the window efficiency. The curves posted in the images earlier in this post are really not necessary, a straight line fit would be fine.

I don't know what the frost control logic is doing now but it's always way off from where it should be, making the humidifier either run way too much causing condensation, or not running at all causing the air to be too dry. I think a lot of us really need improved functionality here.

• tbc007tbc007 MontrealMember

@aeroconfigs said:
    The frost control algorithm is either needlessly complicated or just wrong. It should be a simple 1% humidity change for every 2 degrees F change in outdoor temperature. The offset should be based on the window efficiency. The curves posted in the images earlier in this post are really not necessary, a straight line fit would be fine.

I don't know what the frost control logic is doing now but it's always way off from where it should be, making the humidifier either run way too much causing condensation, or not running at all causing the air to be too dry. I think a lot of us really need improved functionality here.

I don't even bother with frost control anymore... I pretty much monitor/change it daily depending on the outdoor temps. A real disappointment as far as automated thermostats go.

• EcocechEcocech MontrealMember
    edited January 2016

Well I am almost certain that the E3 does not factor outdoor temperature into it's frost control. I woke up this morning to the humidifier running while it was -20c outside, with plenty of condensation on the windows. How can this happen!!

At -20c the humidifier should be off.
    I also set the offset last week hoping that would cut down on the humidifier running but that's not the issue, the E3 needs to adjust to the environment, if it doesn't then they shouldn't call it Frost Control.

So now, just like in colder conditions where the temp dips below my heat pump's balance point and I'm manually setting the temp, I now need to manually control my E3 to control the humidity as well. Not so smart after all, is it.

• geeman1082geeman1082 MissouriMember

Is there some general guidance someplace on what setting to use for various types of windows, or is it just trial and error? After finally realizing that I needed to go to the thermostat itself to find that setting, I see that mine is set to 2. I have 8-year old double-pane windows.

• Fast forward to October 2017...

"Hello,
    Thank you for contacting ecobee support. Unfortunately the ecobee thermostats do not have the capability of automatically adjusting the humidity based on outside air temperatures.
    Regards,
    Ecobee Support"

Their current literature, however, says:
    "For homes with humidifiers, ecobee3 regulates indoor humidity to prevent frost buildup on windows when it’s cold outside and high humidity indoors." (Note the word "automatically" is missing.)

An otherwise outstanding technical and customer oriented company, Ecobee is tiptoeing around a product deficiency that should be well within their wheelhouse. I don't get it.

• Follow up to my comment yesterday... now I get it! I pursued this issue with Ecobee Support. "Ecobee Frost Control" now shows up on a Google search after support sent me the correct link:

https://www.ecobee.com/2015/01/feature-friday-frost-control/

and it has been accessed a few times.

Apparently ecobee has developed a clever algorithm that considers outside air temp, window efficiency, and the rate of building heat loss to calculate the correct relative humidity set point. Excellent!... and it restores my high opinion of this company.

Some of the apparently disappointing tests posted on this thread were inaccurate because the algorithm needs time to collect information on the building thermal characteristics.

The user can adjust the window efficiency number from 1-7 to get optimal results.

The response from the first technician was unfortunately misleading, IMHO.