If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ecobee 3 Lite - Heat Issue (AC Runs Fine)

atari400atari400 Palm Bay, FLMember
edited January 4 in ecobee

Hi there, I have an Ecobee 3 Lite.

The AC runs perfectly fine since installation approx. 6 months ago.

Last night was the first time we have tried to use the heat and although we thought it was working we awoke to an error message stating that:
_"There may be a problem with the Furnace. For the past 2 hours the thermostat has been calling for heat, but the room temperature has decreased by 3.0F."

I also noticed that when the heat is activated it barely blows out of the vents (probably just the fan recirculating the air in the house). AC blows air much stronger.

We live in Florida so barely use the heat function. It's been over a year since heat was last used but this is the first time we have used it since installing the ecobee approx 6 months ago.

Original thermostat (White Rogers) wiring was as follows:
C (BLUE Wire)
W2
E
Note: W2 and E were jumpered and a single WHITE wire went to E
R (RED wire)
G (GREEN wire)
O/B (ORANGE wire)
Y (YELLOW wire)

EcoBee 3 Lite Wiring
RC connected to RED wire (was R above)
G connected to GREEN wire (was G above)
Y1 connected to YELLOW wire (was Y above)
O/B connected to ORANGE wire (was O/B above)
C connected to BLUE wire (was C above)
W1 connected to WHITE wire (was W2 and E above)

Can anybody send me any suggestions of what I can do to check my setup ?

Thanks in advance.

Tagged:

Comments

• SneakXSneakX MontrealMember

Hi

Is it configured as a heat pump with aux heat ?

Some pictures / model of the unit / could also help.

• atari400atari400 Palm Bay, FLMember

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Thermostat is configured as follows:

Heat Pump
    Type - Air to Air
    O/B Reversing Valve - Energized On Heat
    Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation - Disabled

Furnace
    Fan Control In Heat Mode - Thermostat

Two questions:
    (1) Should the white wire (originally connected to E and W2 via jumper) now be connected to W2 on the ecobee instead of W1 ?
    (2) Should I enable "Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation" ?

Lastly what pictures would help ? The outside unit is an Amana Remote Heat Pump installed outside in the AC unit.

Thanks.

Just changed "O/B Reversing Valve" to "Energized On Cool" and now I am getting heat !

However, I still have the following two questions:
    (1) Should the white wire (originally connected to E and W2 via jumper) now be connected to W2 on the ecobee instead of W1 ?
    (2) Should I enable "Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation" ?

Thanks.

W1 is correct, W2 would be for a second stage of aux heat.

Yes you can enable aux heat simultaneous operation, this way the aux can help the heat pump if the heat load is too high for it.

Picture of inside your furnace would help (where the bundle of wires from the tstat and the outside unit goes in).

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember

Definitely check wiring at furnace. You may need to reverse the wires for W1 and W2. If one of the wires goes to Emergency Heat, then that one is not needed.

Only enable Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation if the AC Coil is upstream from the AUX heat, meaning the return air first hits the AC Coil to get preheated and then the AUX to finish. In Florida you probably will never need the AUX.

edited January 5

OK I set "Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation" to Disabled

One thing I have noticed is that the house started at 64F and has so far warmed up to 66F but the heat is not staying on continuously. It appears to be cycling. The outside unit turns off but the fan remains on so we get cold air out of the vents for periods of time.

If it wasn't so dark out I would get a picture of the outside unit wiring (we don't have a furnace, only an AC unit with a heat pump installed).

edited January 5

There should be defrost cycles. Outside unit compressor should run, the unit switches to cooling, and outside unit fan turns off, the furnace fan will still run. AUX should turn on to keep air warm. If AUX is not turning on you may get cold. Cycle usually lasts only a few minutes and then should switch back to heat and out side unit fan turns on. Maybe AUX is not working?

If you switch to AUX mode on the Ecobee do you get heat? Outside unit stays off?^

Can you list the make and model of the furnace and heat pump?

Enabling AUX made no difference.

In fact the outside unit remained "off" for over 40 mins and cold air just kept coming through the vents.

As a test I reinstalled my old thermostat and the heat is running just fine constantly and has been for the last hour (no cycling or cold air blasts).

That tells me my equipment should be OK, but there is either a configuration issue with the ecobee or the ecobee is faulty.

Will leave the old thermostat in place overnight to keep the family from complaining and resume troubleshooting tomorrow. I have also opened a ticket with ecobee to see what they say.

Thanks all for the help so far.

When we say furnace actually we mean indoor unit.

Would be nice to see pictures of that unit insides and of your tstat backplane.

Seems to be a matter of settings / wiring or a faulty tstat

Ever got really hot air coming out of the vents ? Heat pump does only provide warm air compared to heat strips (aux).

I missed this, part.

Furnace
    Fan Control In Heat Mode - Thermostat

Change Fan Control In Heat Mod to HVAC.

Also try this. Connect the white wire to R, does the heat come on?

Quick update.
    Called a local AC/Heat service guy as overnight the fan stopped working and we had nothing at all.
    Capacitor on the fan had failed, replaced it and now heat is working again.
    However, the technician noted that the heater coils have burned out so all we have for heat is the external heat pump. Seems as though the ecobee stalls when asking for auxiliary heat but with the coils open loop there isnt any aux heat.
    We will limp along as it's warming up down here and replace the system in the spring.
    Is there a simple way to tell the ecobee to ignore aux heat ?
    The HVAC system is 14 years old and we have been lucky it has lasted this long :-)

You can disconnect the W1 and setup with no AUX.