If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ecobee 3 with 2 Stage Furnace

dx9dx9 CanadaMember

Guys I recently moved to an Energy Star home and brought my ecobee 3 with me. Now it’s a brand new build with an Amana MEC 96 2 stage multi speed. Now I ran the extra wire for the W2 terminal. Now I understand it’s pretty cold out right now. In Canada and like minus -15C. Now looking at the data the first stage is running a lot. This is my first two stage furnace so I don’t know what to expect. My other house was single stage and didn’t run this often. I just don’t want a big surprise gas bill. I would say it is running every 10 min and them off for 10 min on stage 1. Only time I see stage 2 shown is pretty much smart recovery in the morning

Comments

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember

You won't get a surprise gas bill. You are using less fuel, less power to run stage 1, besides the waste of energy heating up furnace before the fan kicks on. Stage two require more fuel and power to run the fan. Better to run longer in stage 1 and maintain than have stage two run and system cycle on and off.

• dx9dx9 CanadaMember

Thanks Kevin. Never had a 2 Stage before so I didn’t know if it was running properly. It is maintaining the desired temp much better as you can’t see fluctuations. Always noticed the house getting cool then heat kicks in when I had the single stage. Now this is much more comfortable.

On a side note when have an HRV installed and humidifier. Ran wire for the ecobee to control the humidifier. The control for the HRV beside my Ecobee has Ventilator, Econo and 20min/hr. Any certain setting I should be running out of these three?

I don't have experience with HRV. Mainly used on newer really air tight homes so you can get rid of stale air and get fresh air in. I'd start with the mode that runs the least, and if you feel the house is getting stuffy or needs more fresh air, then I'd adjust to run more. Running more than needed causes excess heat loss. Definitely read the user guide.

• tsherretztsherretz Wilmington, DEMember

Hello trying to install ecobee3 on 2 stage furnace. Honeywell thermostat visionpro iaq to ecobee3. The Honeywell only had three wires connected, r, y, g, and the connections were marked 1, 2, 3 and connected in that order. Connected to Rc, G, Y1 on ecobee. Connected the pek to furnace board as instructed. No power on ecobee and no responce from the furnace, other than the blower fan turnin on when the C from pek was connected and the C that was on the board was disconnected. I'm wondering if the ecobee is even usable based on only having the 3 wires at the thermostat. It seems like I may have to connect or jumper other connections on the furnace board to get it to work but haven't done that yet. Thought or suggestions?

Probably should start a new post rather than hijacking this one.

• Use the old wire to pull a new one?

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

@dx9 said:
    Guys I recently moved to an Energy Star home and brought my ecobee 3 with me. Now it’s a brand new build with an Amana MEC 96 2 stage multi speed. Now I ran the extra wire for the W2 terminal. Now I understand it’s pretty cold out right now. In Canada and like minus -15C. Now looking at the data the first stage is running a lot. This is my first two stage furnace so I don’t know what to expect. My other house was single stage and didn’t run this often. I just don’t want a big surprise gas bill. I would say it is running every 10 min and them off for 10 min on stage 1. Only time I see stage 2 shown is pretty much smart recovery in the morning.

You might want to check the dipswitch settings on your furnace to make sure it is set correctly. By that I mean the furnace is set to let the thermostat to control 2nd stage (W2) instead of the furnace. Many 2 stage furnace has a "bypass" setting to allow it to work with 1 stage (W1) thermostats only. What that means is that the furnace will run in W1 for 10 min (or any preset timer) and then kick into W2 afterwards. Sometimes it is set to kick in after 20 minutes instead of 10. When the furnace is set up that way, it will not kick into W2 regardless whether your thermostat calls for it.

You will need to set the furnace such that W2 will kick in with no delay. Consult the installation manual for details.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

@tsherretz said:
    Hello trying to install ecobee3 on 2 stage furnace. Honeywell thermostat visionpro iaq to ecobee3. The Honeywell only had three wires connected, r, y, g, and the connections were marked 1, 2, 3 and connected in that order. Connected to Rc, G, Y1 on ecobee. Connected the pek to furnace board as instructed. No power on ecobee and no responce from the furnace, other than the blower fan turnin on when the C from pek was connected and the C that was on the board was disconnected. I'm wondering if the ecobee is even usable based on only having the 3 wires at the thermostat. It seems like I may have to connect or jumper other connections on the furnace board to get it to work but haven't done that yet.

You have to connect everything to the furnace board to get it to work. Some high end Honeywell thermostat have 2 parts, the wall control (also known as the thermostat) and the "base unit" that is installed inside the furnace. I am surprised you haven't fried the honeywell base unit.

Ditch the base unit along with the honeywell thermostat and then connect the Ecobee directly to the furance main board. Make sure you have > 5 wires W, R, Y, G, and C and make sure the wires are connected to the corresponding terminal at both the thermostat and the furance main board. Double check everything before you turn it on. Ditch the PEK unless you need it.