If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

enabling Smart Home/Away without sensors

c.scheersc.scheers Member
edited September 4 in ecobee

I am a new owner of a ecobee3 lite. Everything seems to be installed correctly and, for the most part, it seems to be working correctly.

However, I am unable to enable Smart Home/Away. The option is ghosted.

It implies that I need a sensor to enable this. Is this really true? The ecobee is in a nexus location such that, if anyone is present, someone will pass in front of the ecobee at least once in the two hour window.

Is there some way to enable Smart Home/Away? This was really the whole point of getting this thermostat.

Answers

• lsbrodskylsbrodsky New Bern, NCMember

Did you do this: To configure your Smart Home/Away settings, go to your ecobee and select Main Menu > Settings > Sensors > Enable or Disable Smart Home/Away. By disabling it, your ecobee will keep strictly to your schedule.

• c.scheersc.scheers Member
    edited September 6

As I said, when I select Main Menu > Settings > Sensors, the option to enable or disable Smart Home/Away is ghosted. I want to enable it.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

The E3 Lite doesn't have an occupancy sensor built in. You will need to get at least one sensor for that feature to work.

• lsbrodskylsbrodsky New Bern, NCMember

Yeah, I just tried it with my E3 Lite upstairs and it tells me there are no sensors.

I wish I could disable the sensor on my E3 due to air currents in my house causing it to see my living room as occupied when it's not.

• What do you mean by "The E3 Lite doesn't have an occupancy sensor built in."? Whenever I walk past it, the display changes. It definitely senses that someone is there.

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember

Those are two different things:a proximity sensor which you have and an occupancy sensor which you do not have.

• What is the difference between a proximity sensor and an occupancy sensor? Does this mean that even if I get sensors, the thermostat will not detect occupancy in its area?

For my purposes, the proximity sensor is sufficient detection.

So the information at https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005079028 is false?

This is the article "What is the difference between ecobee3 and ecobee3 lite?"

According to that article, the only difference between an ecobee3 and an ecobee3 lite is support for accessories (HRVs, ventilators, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers). Then it explicitly states: However, you still get all the same smart functions offered by the ecobee3, such as Smart Recovery and scheduling.

It would seem that Smart Home/Away is a "smart function", wouldn't it?

For my situation, I don't have any HVAC accessories and don't need support for them. I do want Smart Home/Away.

for your purposes a proximity sensor and occupancy sensor are not the same or sufficient for the Ecobee 3 Lite purposes. If you get remote sensors then you will have that function. That function is part of your E3lite but can not be used without the remotes. It is one of the reasons the E3lite came in at such a lower price point than the standard E3.