If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Looking for other Ecobee Owners for possible Class Action Lawsuit

rellik75rellik75 Las Vegas, NVMember

I recently ran in to an issue where a neighbor also purchased Ecobee thermostats but failed to register a sensor with their unit(s). As a result, all 5 of my thermostats picked up this sensor and would continuously ask me if I wanted to register the sensor with my units. No matter what I did, I was unable to clear the message. The thermostat would always prompt me if I wanted to register the sensor. I would have to quickly hit "No" before I was allowed to do anything else on the unit. These sensor messages also prevented the screens from sleeping so they would stay on all the time.

I tried calling Ecobee to explain the situation and they said there was nothing they could do other than disable sensors for my units through a firmware update. If I wanted a thermostat without sensors I would have purchased a different thermostat, altogether.

Ecobee's failure to have enough foresight to prevent this type of issue is definitely grounds for a lawsuit-especially since their only solution is to disable a feature that I paid for. I would like to contact an attorney and pursue a class action lawsuit, but I wanted to see if there are any other users on this forum who might also be experiencing the same issue. Please feel free to PM me or reply on this thread. I would like to move forward with this ASAP.

Comments

• yracineyracine Montreal, Quebec (Canada)Member

What a frivolous lawsuit! Do you really think that you have a case? Don't waste your time and just enjoy life...Life is short.

kevinmccgpzbc
  • kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember
    edited August 26

Waste of time of a lawsuit. Be like class action against Microsoft for not having the foresight to see all the bugs in the Windows. Contact Ecobee so they can come up with a fix for the bug. All Ecobee needs to do is add a sensor blacklist option to the thermostat. Should not have to block the them all, but only the one you do not want to add.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

What a waste of time for a stupid lawsuit. The judge will throw the case out the window.
    While we are in the mood for lawsuits, someone should file a class action suit against apple IOS for the bugs they don't forsee to be exploited.

Just ask your neighbor to return the unit and get a new one.

• Mike_MMike_M Member

Lawsuit? No, don't be ridiculous. However, it is a product design defect that you would have known about had you scanned the postings here before committing to buy. So to be clear:

The Ecobee smart thermostat is a poor choice for apartments, condos and townhouses, until they get their act together and allow the software to ignore "alien" sensors. However, based on recent firmware releases and the e4, they don't seem interested in fixing this problem.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

Or you know, go talk to your neighbor and explain to him your problem.

ZD2342
  • rellik75rellik75 Las Vegas, NVMember

I'm not looking for whether people think it's frivolous or not. I'm looking for people who are interested in participating. As I stated in my first post, I did contact Ecobee. Their only solution is to disable sensors on my units. I don't live in close proximity housing. I live in a regular single family detached home, so when I purchased my Ecobees nearly 2 years ago, the situation someone else described above about close proximity housing, would never have been a consideration. Additionally, as Mike_M pointed out, Ecobee doesn't seem to care about fixing valid issues that their customers have raised--hence the primary reason for my seeking to pursue legal action. They're response to my complaint has been their typical rhetoric for nearly every single issue for which I've had to deal with their tech support team.

The fact is, that by failing to offer a solution that allows my continued full functional use of these thermostats, without having to bother a neighbor, is absolutely grounds for a class action lawsuit, further enforced by the fact that Ecobee has apparently known about this issue for some time (close proximity housing) and has neglected/refused/whatever to implement a software fix that allows the consumer to block sensors that are not their own.

• lsbrodskylsbrodsky New Bern, NCMember

Just sue should not be the answer to customer dissatisfaction. Typically the only winners in a class action are the lawyers, so why waste ecobee resources on a suit? I had more actionable problems with Honeywell and Nest thermostats; my solution was to switch to Ecobee. Buy another brand if you are so upset.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

Talk to your neighbor and have your issue corrected. Why feed the lawyers for something that simple?

• rellik75rellik75 Las Vegas, NVMember

Neighbors are retired and away for half the year. I'm guessing they bought Ecobee to control their system while away. So there is no option to speak with them right now. And buy another brand--yes. That is the plan. I really don't care how much the lawyers eat up from Ecobee this as long as I get the $1300 it costs me to switch. I also gave them that option which they refused. I figured it would save them some significant time and resources. Five thermostats are not cheap to replace!

Well, then by all means, go pay for your lawyers and fight on. Keep us posted. I don't think you are going to get anyone to join you because we all feel this is childish BS and that you'll get thrown out of court on your ear but heck, if you want to support an attorney then shut up and do it.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

Don't forget RELLIK75 is also wasting our time as well.

@EFTC said:
    Don't forget RELLIK75 is also wasting our time as well.

He's just entertaining me with this. It helps me understand how so many BS lawsuits happen.

• LarrylLixLarrylLix Northern Southwestern OntarioMember
    edited September 16

Sorry your response from the others is so cold. People love to grandstand their own problems but consider everybdy else's as trivial. Not very empathetic. Some just can't spend time enough to even read what you posted and yet can reply with nonsense.

These high-tech companies with their half baked money wasters do need a lesson in marketting lies though.

I would enable the sensor on your system and just never use it. The "Follow Me" feature is complete BS and doesn't work properly anyway. I don't want my tempeartures floating all over the place. The reason I changed to ecobee3 is because it has higher resolutin accuracy than other stats on the market currently.

If you enable your sensors manually, the foreign sensor unit will have no effect on your system.

• CaseyEcobeeCaseyEcobee TorontoMember

Hi folks,

Just to let you know, we have released a permanent fix for this issue that will now allow you to permanently ignore a certain sensor's pairing request. When prompted to pair, you'll now be able to say "No, don't ask again" and upon confirmation you will have added that sensor to an "Ignored Sensors" list. If done in error, you can restore sensors from the Ignored list.

This feature has started its roll-out to all ecobee4 users, and is firmware version 4.2.0.171. It will be rolled-out to ecobee3 and 3lite users as well as the testing is finalized with those devices.

Cheers,
    Casey

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

As predicted, no lawsuit for rellik75!

As anticipitated, Ecobee rise to the challenge and deliver as promised. It is only the underlyings that have issue with patience.