If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Occupancy sensor broke, great Ecobee service

50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

Well, my Occupancy sensor on my main thermostat broke last week and I wasn't able to deal with it until this weekend. Ecobee had me put a remote sensor near my thermostat for 24 hours so they could see the data and they are sending me a new thermostat. Excellent service on their part.

Comments

• LarrylLixLarrylLix Northern Southwestern OntarioMember

I found their tech help contact channel very responsive.

Unfortunately, they looked at my data and gave me a bunch of nonsense logic, with figures demonstrating their arithmetic skills were not the best (averaging three temperatures). When confronted with their math errors from their offerring, they never responded again.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

Your sensor average might be a weighted average based on time used due to Follow Me being selected so they very well may be right and it would be pretty hard to prove without seeing their calculations.

@LarrylLix said:
    I found their tech help contact channel very responsive.

Unfortunately, they looked at my data and gave me a bunch of nonsense logic, with figures demonstrating their arithmetic skills were not the best (averaging three temperatures). When confronted with their math errors from their offerring, they never responded again.

• LarrylLixLarrylLix Northern Southwestern OntarioMember

@50ae said:
    Your sensor average might be a weighted average based on time used due to Follow Me being selected so they very well may be right and it would be pretty hard to prove without seeing their calculations.

All factors were given from an screenshot of my history. The factors were all listed and the average resultant was given as proof the follow me was working.

Their arithmetic was wrong in their example. They also have no access to whether sensor were enabled or not, at that point in time. The event spreadsheet does not contain enough information to make that evaluation, anyway. Enabled and disabled sensors have no status revealed so the whole exercise was moot and nonsense.

They also gave me links to their explanation pages that use two sentences to contradict each other. That is when I knew they were just reading a script and didn't understand what the actual technology professed. This is very common in most tech support mediums.

Of course I had to spend a few nights downloading their database and converting it into a readable spreadsheet for comparison. Their figures were accurate but the arithmetic was incorrect and proved their follow me doesn't work.

They also can't explain the average temperature fluctuating 2.0 - 2.5 degree C when the HVAC is running. Five sensors mounted beside the stat do not show this variation. They didn't understand "predictor" as found in mechanical thermostats, logic built into the stat.

Never go by the displayed temperature reading, even when you have no remote sensors. The same register is used to force the stat to short cycle (avoiding overshoot) instead of using an internal register that people do not see.

50ae