If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Homekit Support for non Homekit Ecobee3 devices?

gigilovergigilover Markham, ONMember

Hello,

I read that after iOS 11 is released, some devices that don't have the hardware chip inside the device can be updated to support homekit as the hardware requirement has been removed. Will ecobee update the old devices without Apple's hardware chip to have homekit added?

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/8/15761800/apple-homekit-updates-ios-11-easier-build-requirements-wwdc-2017

Thanks

Answers

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

Well, that's good news in a sense that apple finally realized their closed homekit ecosystem is slowing down development and making the technology inaccessible for the masses.

I do hope that Ecobee will update the first gen E3 to make it support homekit. Realistically I don't think they will unless there is pressure from owners. They will probably be more focused on pushing the E4 out to markets.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

That would be assuming that it can handle Homekit software to begin with at best.

• pvr4mepvr4me Member

@EFTC said:
    Well, that's good news in a sense that apple finally realized their closed homekit ecosystem is slowing down development and making the technology inaccessible for the masses.

I do hope that Ecobee will update the first gen E3 to make it support homekit. Realistically I don't think they will unless there is pressure from owners. They will probably be more focused on pushing the E4 out to markets.

The main function of the 'homekit chip' was hardware-based encryption for security and privacy. I don't want my home automation devices to be spying on me or part of the next botnet so I'm hoping that the new software-based authentication will be sufficiently secure.

I will be flabbergasted if Ecobee provides retroactive Homekit support for their previous tstats. I was one of those "lucky" ones who bought a Smart Si just before the Ecobee 3 came out. If Ecobee cared about existing customers, they would have offered a decent upgrade/exchange deal. What they did offer was a minuscule discount off the full retail price of the E3.

Craig

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

I remember reading about your ranting.

In fact, when E3 (2nd gen with home kit support) came out, Ecobee offered a small discount off the 1st gen users. I think only a handful of people took the offer.

• pvr4mepvr4me Member

@EFTC said:
    I remember reading about your ranting.

In fact, when E3 (2nd gen with home kit support) came out, Ecobee offered a small discount off the 1st gen users. I think only a handful of people took the offer.

Ranting? Ecobee has tried to use us for word of mouth advertising. But if they want loyal customers, they should show it in meaningful ways. Like a significant discount when they came out with upgraded hardware. As I see it, Ecobee wants to use me to build their business and offers little in return.

If you're happy being a stooge, good for you.

I agree that only a handful of people took that upgrade offer. It was insultingly poor.

Craig

• gigilovergigilover Markham, ONMember

Nest says it is considering adding support HomeKit to all their existing devices.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/15/nest-apple-homekit-siri-software-authentication-update-ios-11/

• LarrylLixLarrylLix Northern Southwestern OntarioMember

ecobee is in bed with Amazon with their Echo and Dot products. Why would they redesign their product to encompass another company's "total control end to end". That would be like giving away our tax money to a dictatorship in another country.

I know isheeple can't usually see it that way though. Apple makes some good products due to that concept but will never get the other 2/3 of the market due to it and their products will always cost more due to the red tape involved.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

Keep in mind that Nest is "CONSIDERING" to add support for homekit. Considering is not the same as implement.

Most of the late model Ecobee thermostat already support Homekit. It's the early adopters and the Ecobee Smart thermostat that does not have homekit support. As I said before, I highly doubt Ecobee will go back and add homekit support to the "obsolete" thermostats; instead they will focus their resources on Ecobee 4 and the lightswitch.