If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ecobee3 failed me

bigdog9586bigdog9586 MichiganMember

Just when I needed it the Ecobee 3 failed me. Took a 2 week trip to Russia and by the time I got there all I could get was offline. I knew there wasn't any wifi problems when my trusty Nest cam worked flawlessly and it requires a lot more bandwidth than the E does. Of course as soon as I landed in Detroit it worked again. I wish I had kept my Nest thermostat as I'd rather have it read a couple degrees off than not at all. That and the Nest is a whole lot easier to program temps in.

Comments

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

You should confirm that Ecobee 3 was disconnected during your 2 week trip to Russia by studying the home IQ data (System information) from the Ecobee 3 web portal. If your E3 is working properly and connected to the wifi network it should have recorded temperatures throughout your 2 weeks. Confirm that first before you make any claims that your Ecobee 3 failed you.

Keep in mind that Ecobee 3 servers might have been blocked by Russia internet authroities thus rendering the app useless during your travels in Russia. Similarly, all google services (gmail, play store,...etc) is blocked when one is travelling in China. May be next time if you are travelling in China you will thank Ecobee for not being part of google.

kevinmccKRUZNBY50ae
  • bigdog9586bigdog9586 MichiganMember

I said it failed ME. I never said it quit monitoring the temp which a $29 thermostat will do. I paid the big bucks so I could monitor, change temps, make sure all was well and IT FAILED ME. My Nest cam had no problem so I know the wifi was working. Having spent weeks in both countries I know what China blocks but I found nothing in Russia that I used blocked. All I know is the only thing I had trouble with was my 3. So I wasted $249. Should have kept my nest and lived with the 2 to 4 degrees it was off sometimes. At least I knew the furnace was working.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

Well, I wouldn't blame Ecobee before finding out if it is blocked by Russia. If you have any friends over there see if they can log in from Russia. It may very well just be that Russia has failed you.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

@bigdog9586 said:
    I said it failed ME. I never said it quit monitoring the temp which a $29 thermostat will do. I paid the big bucks so I could monitor, change temps, make sure all was well and IT FAILED ME. My Nest cam had no problem so I know the wifi was working. Having spent weeks in both countries I know what China blocks but I found nothing in Russia that I used blocked. All I know is the only thing I had trouble with was my 3. So I wasted $249. Should have kept my nest and lived with the 2 to 4 degrees it was off sometimes. At least I knew the furnace was working.

You didn't answer my question. I guess you failed yourself for not finding out.

Furthermore, you said that the E3 never quit monitoring the temp. It is just you have trouble with the E3. With that, I am safe to conclude that you were the one that FAILED.

50ae

You think you are so smart then you tell me why Russia would block a Mickey Mouse thermostat and let through news etc that isn't favorable to Russia yet my Nest worked like a charm. Since I was on vacation I have no one else to check except 2 iPhones and 2 iPads that would just finally come up next day the 3 was off line. Best thing is to throw the piece of shit in the trash and dig out my Nest.

• 50ae50ae mckinney, txMember

whatever you want to do but if it works everywhere but when you are in russia you gotta start asking yourself if maybe russia is the problem here and not the Ecobee which works everywhere else. I've had my ecobee crash on me when the power went out and it didn't recover correctly so I'm not saying they are perfect but by your stated problem it started working again as soon as you left russia. That's a pretty big clue that they are blocking their software for whatever reason. Hell, it could even be Ecobee blocking Russia because they are well known to hack into any system they can get their hands on. So maybe pipe down with the "so smart" BS because you were the person with the question to begin with and if you don't like the answer then walk away and go ask somewhere else.

KRUZNBYEFTC
  • EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

@bigdog9586 said:
    You think you are so smart then you tell me why Russia would block a Mickey Mouse thermostat and let through news etc that isn't favorable to Russia yet my Nest worked like a charm. Since I was on vacation I have no one else to check except 2 iPhones and 2 iPads that would just finally come up next day the 3 was off line. Best thing is to throw the piece of shit in the trash and dig out my Nest.

Remember I am not the one with the question. You are the one with the question. Ask yourself who is the "Not so smart" person.

50ae

I think I figured it out. Some asshole that floats crap out of the air and is of no help here. But I did figure out the problem and it wasn't me it was the ecobee but with some phone help it shouldn't happen again.

• EFTCEFTC CanadaMember

@bigdog9586 said:
    I think I figured it out. Some asshole that floats crap out of the air and is of no help here. But I did figure out the problem and it wasn't me it was the ecobee but with some phone help it shouldn't happen again.

You asked and we answer to the best of our abilities.

To show your lack of appreciation you started accusing the individuals who tried to help you or point you to the right direction. You kept yourself at the high chair and show no regards to others.

Go back to your nest and stay there. We don't support such behaviors here.

50aedborn
  • xaxvixaxvi NYMember

I didn't like my Ecobee3 too so I decided upgrading to the latest model, Ecobee4. The latter works quite well and in the battle of Ecobee3 vs Ecobee4, it takes the top spot with innovative features and Amazon Alexa integration.