If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

ecobee3 with a Two Stage Heat Pump & Two Stage Furnace

I'm going to be installing an ecobee3 in a few days, and from what I've read, I think it can control what I have, but just wanted to make sure. I have a two stage heat pump and a two stage furnace. The thermostat I have is currently setup with the heat pump as primary and uses both stages and the furnace as auxiliary and always uses its second stage. I'm guessing this is just a limitation of the thermostat. Is the ecobee capable of using both stages of a heat pump and furnace?

Comments

• lsbrodskylsbrodsky New Bern, NCMember

Ecobee is good for 2 stages of heat pump and two stages of Aux heat, but how it uses those may not necessarily delight you. For example, Smart Recovery does not use Aux heat, ever, and it only uses Stage 1 of your heat pump. This is the only serious shortcoming I have found.
    Larry

• That sure is odd. So Smart Recovery isn't so smart, IMHO.

I wasn't planning on using Smart Recovery. I just like to set a time when I want the heat to turn on, and it sounds like that's the way to go given the hardware I have.

Thanks for the reply!

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember
    edited February 11

I use deltas for my 2 stage heat pump, set to minimize AUX usage. I have single stage AUX, but Ecobee3 will work with 2 stage AUX. You do get wider range of lockouts than most thermostats, example I have AUX lockout set to 35F. You can set compressor lockout down to 0F, although I have my compressor lockout disabled. I run my heat pump even in extreme cold. Ecobee3 does have simultaneous operation as well, which can be used if your A-Coil is upstream of (before) the AUX. This allows you to preheat the air with the much more efficient heat pump and finish off with the AUX. I use simultaneous operation, works great with my newer air source heat pump which works down to -10 F without issues.

• I've had my ecobee installed for a week now, and am pleased with how it can control both stages of my heat pump and furnace.

In the Ecobee user guide there are instructions for the settings that begin on page 25.

https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ecobee3_UserGuide1.pdf

There are different thresholds and lockouts if you wish to use them.

Aux Heat Max Temp I have set to 35. I don't know if the Ecobee will turn on AUX if I were ever away and the heat pump failed if this was set below freezing. I don't want pipes to freeze, so I set to 35. If I knew Ecobee was smart and to turn on AUX if them was was near freezing in the house I would set this 20 to 25. For piece of mind, 35 is where I set it and forget it.

The other setting are pretty straight forward, but if you have questions just post and we'll try to help.

• pendetimpendetim Member

@kevinmcc said:
    In the Ecobee user guide there are instructions for the settings that begin on page 25.

https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ecobee3_UserGuide1.pdf

There are different thresholds and lockouts if you wish to use them.

Aux Heat Max Temp I have set to 35. I don't know if the Ecobee will turn on AUX if I were ever away and the heat pump failed if this was set below freezing. I don't want pipes to freeze, so I set to 35. If I knew Ecobee was smart and to turn on AUX if them was was near freezing in the house I would set this 20 to 25. For piece of mind, 35 is where I set it and forget it.

The other setting are pretty straight forward, but if you have questions just post and we'll try to help.

A question about a "dual fuel air-air 2 stage heat pump with 2 stage gas furnace": I assume that below the "min outdoor temperature", the compressor is disengaged and the 2 stage furnace is used. Right? I am confused as a little later on page 26 in the section it talks about configuring a 2 stage conventional furnace, then says that is it is a heatpump system you can configure the first stage if it is a heat pump?? What has happened to my second stage?

From page 26----"Furnace This menu lets you configure up to a 2-stage conventional heat source. If you have selected a heat pump as your primary source, this feature allows you to configure the 1st stage of auxiliary heat connected to the system."

• towprotowpro Member

I know its an alternative, but some modern gas furnaces can be set to auto switch from GAS stage 1, to GAS stage 2 after X min runtime.

this allows you to have thermostat control compressor stage 1, compressor stage 2, and Aux, than heater controls AUX run time from AUX 1 to AUX 2.

edited March 8

Page 25.

Heat Pump
    This menu lets you configure a heat pump with up to 2 heat/2
    cool stages and a 2 stage auxiliary heat source.

I have not connected 2 stage AUX. My understanding is Ecobee3 is supposed to do 4 heat stages. When I read the message on page 26, I read that as AUX 1 will be the type you configure, and assumes AUX 2 will be same type, not that you will lose AUX 2.

Send support an email, they would answer your question with certainty.

[email protected]

• LemurTechLemurTech MedfordMember

@lsbrodsky said:
    Ecobee is good for 2 stages of heat pump and two stages of Aux heat, but how it uses those may not necessarily delight you. For example, Smart Recovery does not use Aux heat, ever, and it only uses Stage 1 of your heat pump. This is the only serious shortcoming I have found.

I just went through a discussion with Ecobee support about this. From that conversation, it is more accurate to say that although the Smart Recovery feature does not use auxiliary heat, having the Smart Recovery option selected does not mean that aux heat will never be used; it simply won't be used during the period when Smart Recovery is supposed to be active--unless something else triggers it.