If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

How to handle 3 zones in one house. One ecobee? Three?

HeljHelj CTMember
edited January 6 in ecobee

Hello all.

I currently have a ~2800 sq foot home, that has 3 zones. Raised ranch style home that originally had one zone upstairs and another downstairs. The house has a connected addition as well with a small third zone that only includes two upstairs bedrooms at the end of the house.

Zone 1: Entire Downstairs: the thermostat is located right outside the furnace room, in a large 24x24 family room. It's in one far corner of the house. My office/guest room is located on the exact opposite corner, so at times this can be a bit cold in the Winter since it's so far from the thermostat, but at the same time, it's often not used.

Zone 2: Most of Upstairs: This is in the hallway. One of the issues we have with this is that some of the kids bedrooms at the end of the line can get very cold at night, teens want their doors closed at night, and so it can be 5-10 degrees colder in there.

Zone 3: Master bedroom and one kids bedroom (new addition). These rooms are new, much better insulated. Thermostat is in the master bedroom, and these rooms don't really have any imbalance issues.

A/C: We have central air on the upper level (vents from the ceiling, unit in attic, fan outside). This is controlled by it's own thermostat (our 4th) and sits a few feet away from the Zone 2 heating thermostat. We have a Bryant AC system (dual speed I think), about 5 years old.

Heating type: Boiler with baseboard radiators. Just had a brand new efficient boiler and indirect tank installed.

1. Can we use 1 Ecobee3 thermostat, with say 3-4 different wireless sensors (one for each zone), to run 3 zones? Or do we need ecobee thermostats for each zone?

2. With the AC unit, can I merge the AC into the one ecobee?

My ideal scenario would be where the downstairs zone could also have a sensor in the far side of the house where the guest room is - but only if that wireless sensor in the guest room was smart enough to know when someone was in the room to make sure that room was warm. And then the same situation for the upstairs main zone where our middle child's bedroom at the very end of the radiator line (where water is not as hot) can let us know when that room is too cold with a wireless sensor.

But in this scenario, would we need 3 thermostats (one of which handles a heat zone and the A/C), with 2 additional wireless sensors?

Thanks!

Answers

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember

A thermostat can only control 1 zone. For a true multizone you will need separate heating and cooling for each zone, or a zone controller, dampers, and each zone will need a thermostat.