If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Fan was running, heat was OFF

viorelviorel PrincetonMember
edited December 2016 in ecobee

Hi guys, I am new here. I had an Ecobee3 with 3 external sensors for about 2 months now. Works great, love it. Yesterday my family was out and when they returned they found the furnace fan running but no heat. that was OK, it was not cold in the house. Still the fan was ON for a long time.

I checked the logs and indeed the fan was ON for about 2 hours, and during this time the temperature didn't drop below set point to trigger the heat. Here is the temperature and humidity charts. What could explain this?

Answers

• Do you have a humidifier configured? Looks to be adding humidity.

• viorelviorel PrincetonMember

no, no humidifier.

• gpzbcgpzbc Colorado, USAMember
  • Email support with the date and time range you want to them to look at. That is really strange.

Hi, I emailed ecobee tech support and this is what they said:

We apologize for the delay in our response. We strive to respond to customer emails within 24 to 48 hours but due to a recent increase in volume, these response times have increased. We thank you for your patience and understanding of this matter.

It looks like you have set your fan runtime to 0 mins/hr, but you have a hold active. If you changed this setting with the hold active you will have to clear this hold before it updates your fan settings. Remove it by hitting the X in the box on the front of the thermostat.

Regards,

ecobee Support
    250 University Ave, Suite 400
    Toronto, ON M5H 3E5

• Is the hold activity IFTTT? I am confused. Even if you set the temp to hold, the fan should not turn on.

no, I do not use IFTTT. I am also not quite sure that I understand their response, but that is all I got. When my family left the house, they lowered the temp manually (my older folks do not use a smart phone and they lowered temp manually). When they returned, they found the fan running.

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember
    edited December 2016

Their response does not make any sense. They appear to be assuming that you changed the fan runtime/hr during a hold event. It would be highly unlikely that you did that and it does not explain why it ran for so long.

Is it possible someone accidental switched the fan from auto to on?