If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Ecobee3 humidity accuracy

steeve725steeve725 Northern ColoradoMember
edited December 2016 in ecobee

Hello,

I'm having inaccuracy in my humidity reading on my ecobee3. Right now looking at my thermostat humidity says 27%.

2 feet away is my Davis vantage view console and the humidity is 35%.

I have a ecobee thermostat set at humidity 40%.

Is the humidity supposed to be that in accurate, I did see on the thermostat where I can do humidity correction. Is that something I should do?

My humidifier is a Honeywell bypass humidifier on my furnace it is directly wired to my ecobee3 so my thermostat will turn it on and off automatically when calling for heat. It has A brand-new filter in it, and I do hear it click on and run for a little while when my furnace turns on when calling for heat.

Is this due to the fact that I have just a single stage furnace, but doesn't run long enough to satisfy the humidity reading?

I do have smart away / smart home and follow me disabled.

My firmware is .950

Thank you

Comments

• People have asked for ability to adjust humidity reading, but feature has not been added. I think if you search here you will find others discussing this issue.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember
    edited December 2016

@kevinmcc said:
    People have asked for ability to adjust humidity reading, but feature has not been added. I think if you search here you will find others discussing this issue.

That's not true. You can adjust the humidity "offset". I did it on my Ecobee3 like a year ago. It's somewhere buried in the "threshold" settings, I believe. So if the E3 consistently reads 5% too low, you can make a +5% offset to the reading.

kevinmcc
  • steeve725steeve725 Northern ColoradoMember

Yes, i was aware of the "offset" in my original post, I stated "Is the humidity supposed to be that in accurate, I did see on the thermostat where I can do humidity correction. Is that something I should do?"

I believe that defeats the purpose.

If I offset the humidity on my thermostat to read what my Davis says the humidity is, then I am telling the thermostat that the humidity is a certain %, when the thermostat should know what it is. That's the thermostats job.

I understand that the thermostat may not be 100% accurate, many things aren't.

But when the ecobee3 reads 27% when I have it set to 40% and my Davis vantage Vue console reads 35% just a few feet away, that is crazy that the ecobee is off that much.

A 13% difference, reading 27% when I have it set to 40%.

A 7% difference from the Davis console in a few feet, when there is nothing in the house hold, I.E, standing water, etc that would cause this big of difference.

Unfortunately it looks as though I will need to adjust the ecobee upwards of 5%-10% in order to read close to my davis.

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

Yes, it sucks that the E3's humidity seems to read so low. Mine is the same, although not as severe.

If the E3 reads 27% and you have it set to a target of 40%, that means your humidifier should be running every time your heat turns on. If you Davis humidistat is only reading 35%, that sounds like the humidifier in your house cannot get you to the target humidity no matter how much it runs.

Question: How do you know the Davis unit is "correct"?

Do you have any other humidistats you can use to try to get a reading? Other than the E3 and the Davis? If you can get two or three other units to independently read close to one another, that would seem to indicate the "real" humidity. Maybe the Davis reads high...?

• steeve725steeve725 Northern ColoradoMember

I have another portable temperature sensor that I placed next to my davis and it reads within 1% of the davis console. I assume it has to be the ecobee.

• @lannister80 said:
    That's not true. You can adjust the humidity "offset". I did it on my Ecobee3 like a year ago. It's somewhere buried in the "threshold" settings, I believe. So if the E3 consistently reads 5% too low, you can make a +5% offset to the reading.

Swear there was discussion about this about a month or two ago. My bad, good to know.