If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

odd run times

bukzinbukzin CaliforniaMember

I have my schedule set up as a fairly standard work at home lifestyle.

Problem is the stat is turning on my heater in the middle of the night
when my room temp is well above the minimum setting (45*)

Any thoughts on which settings I might take a look at to address this?

Comments

• RickNYRickNY Farmingville, NYMember

Do you have Heating Smart Recovery set in preferences? That will turn on the heat prior to the scheduled time in an attempt to ensure the room is at the desired temperature at that time.

• bukzinbukzin CaliforniaMember

I do not see Smart Recovery in my app.

Using Android running Ver. 6.0.1. Heating is waking us up all night long.

Any ideas?

• carveitupcarveitup Ontario, CanadaMember
    edited November 2016

If heating is walking you up all night, you could just keep the fan on all the time. That way it would just be constant white noise. Might be less disruptive than it cycling of and on.

bukzin
  • OshawapilotOshawapilot Courtice, OntarioMember
    edited November 2016

@bukzin said:
    I do not see Smart Recovery in my app.

Using Android running Ver. 6.0.1. Heating is waking us up all night long.

Any ideas?

Log in via the web portal instead, there's more configuration options there.

If you have smart recovery enabled then yes the furnace will start sometimes quite early through the night to recover to your next programmed event. If there's a large temperate increase as part of that, the earlier it will start the furnace while it's in smart recovery mode as well since it has a bigger gap to make up. It also takes a whole for the thermostat to "learn" how long it takes to heat up so if your install is new it may still be starting too early - the first week or so we had our ecobee installed I did notice it seemed to be starting recovery too early but it did eventually learn and started later.

Are you using the remote sensor for your room? If so do you have your overnight setback configuration setup properly to use only the remote thermostat? Again, if not it may be using the weighted average between the sensor and your thermostat itself, so if it's colder where the thermostat is vs your bedroom it would also cause the furnace to start recovery mode earlier.

Thanks for the detailed response.

One of the factors which may be causing me issues is the placement of my thermostat.

It is right next to our bed, might that location be a problem for me?
    (there is motion thru the night with bathroom trips and little dogs up and down)

I only have one remote sensor, elsewhere in the house.

Are there owner adjustable settings for when the Smart Recovery starts its ramp up?
    It would be great if that process was limited to say, 1 hour before Awake time.

• OshawapilotOshawapilot Courtice, OntarioMember

The whole idea with smart recovery mode however is the fact that, well...it's acts "smart" - the idea is that BY the time you set for the next comfort event the house will already be at that temperature because the thermostat anticipated how early it needed to start, and did so automatically.

If you limited it to 1 hour (as you suggest) but a 1 hour run on the furnace was insufficient to get your house back to the desired temperature by the time that event arrives...well, you may be waking up to a cold house and it could be another 30 minutes (for example) before the house reaches your desired temperature if the weather is suddenly much colder outside.

Since your thermostat is located where it's perhaps detecting motion through the night have you ensured that your "Smart Home/Away" feature isn't enabled by chance? Depending on your configuration it could be overriding your comfort settings through the night?

@Oshawapilot said:
    Are you using the remote sensor for your room? If so do you have your overnight setback configuration setup properly to use only the remote thermostat? Again, if not it may be using the weighted average between the sensor and your thermostat itself, so if it's colder where the thermostat is vs your bedroom it would also cause the furnace to start recovery mode earlier.

To confirm... When you say 'web portal' are you meaning a browser? If so which ones are supported? Also, I have found pages/sites display different info if viewing with my ipad vs Windows desktop.

Thoughts on best approach for configuring Ecobee3 ?

Thx