If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Best hub for Ecobee smart thermostat ?

Hello,

I’m currently looking for a hub that will work with most of my home automation devices (Chamberlain MyQ, smoke alarms etc…). I was wondering what’s the best hub for the Ecobee smart thermostat? I was looking at the Smartthings and Vera (Micasa Verde) hubs. Anyone has some experience with these hubs? Do they work well with the Ecobee ? I was also looking at the Wink hub but it doesn’t appear to be compatible with the Ecobee smart thermostat.

Comments

• I think smartthings might be the best and easiest to use

Steve
  • I wrote the Ecobee integration for Vera, and I would say that if you had a focus on Z-Wave for your other devices, Vera is actually pretty good. There is a MyQ/Chamberlain plugin as well. Vera is currently going through a painful upgrade to something called UI7, whereas UI5 is solid and stable. But there is a lot to recommend Vera. I am currently working on integration for the completely free, open-source openHAB ("HAB" stands for home automation bus), and if you liked working with Linux and controlling every aspect of your home automation, openHAB is it. If not, Vera is recommended.

bitcurationvaluequest
  • bitcurationbitcuration Los AngelesMember

watou said:
    I wrote the Ecobee integration for Vera, and I would say that if you had a focus on Z-Wave for your other devices, Vera is actually pretty good. There is a MyQ/Chamberlain plugin as well. Vera is currently going through a painful upgrade to something called UI7, whereas UI5 is solid and stable. But there is a lot to recommend Vera. I am currently working on integration for the completely free, open-source openHAB ("HAB" stands for home automation bus), and if you liked working with Linux and controlling every aspect of your home automation, openHAB is it. If not, Vera is recommended.

So openHAB has Ecobee on its list? what standards and protocols does openHAB plan to support, besides WiFi I suppose?

• yracineyracine Montreal, Quebec (Canada)Member
    edited May 2015

Hi westbank, I'm bias toward Smartthings as I wrote a custom ecobee device type (device handler) for smartthings. Overall, I think this platform has a lot of potential.

You may want to wait for the new hub v2 where local processing will be available. At the moment, everything is done in the cloud.

It should be released in 2015. The hub v2 will also support BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) on top of z-wave and zigbee. Zigbee is a nice add-on over z-wave especially with the new GE link LED bulb ($15 at Home depot); they work very well with Smartthings.

As far as the ecobee-Smartthings integration is concerned, all the main ecobee's functionalities are now available through the custom ecobee device that I created.

Also, I recently automated the authentication process in order to connect smartthings/ecobee in a more user friendly manner. See this thread for more details:

http://www.smarthomehub.net/forums/discussion/155/new-my-ecobee-init-service-manager-for-easier-installation-within-smartthings#latest

Regards.

bitcuration
  • bitcuration said:

So openHAB has Ecobee on its list? what standards and protocols does openHAB plan to support, besides WiFi I suppose?

I've written the binding so openHAB supports ecobee, but it's not published yet (soon). openHAB has a long list of supported devices and protocols, and makes it easy to integrate custom information sources and command targets. See https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Bindings (the list down the right column).

bitcurationvaluequest
  • Smartthings supports ecobee via its labs and with Yves apps, it works pretty well. However you will find the E3 app to be much better than any hub app in terms of functionality, so even though I ahve them hooked up I still use the E3 app most of the time. Its nice though to link things to apps like "open window, turn off AC"

• my0gr81my0gr81 coldnadaMember

gsimmons2005 said:
    Smartthings supports ecobee via its labs and with Yves apps, it works pretty well. However you will find the E3 app to be much better than any hub app in terms of functionality, so even though I ahve them hooked up I still use the E3 app most of the time. Its nice though to link things to apps like "open window, turn off AC"

The key with integration is not just to control the E3, but be able to use the E3's sensor and status data to control other things:

• If E3 calls for heat, and a particular sensor shows higher temp, then control a damper to close the vent in that room

• if E3 calls for cool, but a window/door sensor is showing open, then close the damper that room

• Use the E3 occupancy sensor status to control other devices, even though it is not real time, it should be sufficient for "occupancy" related control functions.

Being able to control the E3 is also usefull:

• if a particular door/window is open, then set the E3 to hold or raise/drop the set point so as to not waste energy heating or cooling the outside.
  • No sensor support via API yet. Hell, its not even in the mobile app yet. Keep waiting

watou said:

bitcuration said:

I've written the binding so openHAB supports ecobee, but it's not published yet (soon). openHAB has a long list of supported devices and protocols, and makes it easy to integrate custom information sources and command targets. See https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Bindings (the list down the right column).

Hi, watou,

A new released home sensor/thermostat product "Norm" is coming in Dec. https://www.quirky.com/shop/911

Looks like Norm is making sensors in all kinds form and features. Thermostat is just a byproduct of their sensor business. Do you know if OpenHAB has Norm integration on its list soon?

I plan to drop Ecobee but wait for Norm for broader home automation controls.

• my0gr81my0gr81 coldnadaMember

To make "Norm" work, you need a $300 Wink relay or a $50 Wink hub. =))

Talking about the best hub, I'll be very surprised ecobee 4 won't be HomeKit enabled in a few months. considering smartthings has been acquired by Samsung, how accountable of smartthings support to a non-samsung thermostat remains to be seen in the near future. Curious what has stopped Samsung to make their own smart tstat.

• watouwatou Member

OpenHAB 1.7 is being packaged for release in hours (there are release candidates available already), and it has Ecobee support, including support for the wireless remote sensors (temperature, presence). I've been using it to make sure my elderly mother is triggering presence no less often than six hours using simple rules in OpenHAB. (It sends me a text when she hasn't tripped an occupancy sensor.) If you're a DIY kind of person, OpenHAB lets you integrate and automate just about anything.

valuequest
  • ajgarvinajgarvin Newton, MAMember

I'm a Verizon FiOS customer and I'm waiting to receive a new "Quantum" router from them that's supposed to be both Z-Wave and Zigbee capable. I should research this on my own before just throwing this question out, but does anyone have any experience with (or know anything about) this router with respect to it's usefulness as a smart hub for the Ecobee3?