If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Remote sensor false positives

rosenquirosenqui Ottawa, OntarioMember

Is anyone else having trouble with false positives for occupancy on a remote sensor?

One of my 3 remote sensors has been giving me a ton of false positive occupancy reports, which screws up Smart Home/Away. I've had to take that sensor out of the Home & Away comfort settings to avoid having Away mode revert to Smart Home mode. It happens during the day as well as at night, so it's not being caused by something like sunlight heating up a spot on our couch or floor and fooling the IR.

I haven't had any low battery warnings or other issues with this sensor, and the temperature readings don't seem to be fluctuating at the time of the occupancy false positive.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

Yup, I have one that triggers randomly all the time. Not pointing at a window or any other IR source. Drives me nuts.

• KRUZNBYKRUZNBY Raleigh, NCMember

Switch sensors to see if it is the sensor or something in the room etc.

• rosenquirosenqui Ottawa, OntarioMember

I moved it to another location in the same room and still got false positives last night. I'll try moving it upstairs right beside a good sensor and see how often they agree on occupancy.

I have the flakey sensor disabled in the Home & Away profiles, but it still triggers Smart Home with its false positive. How do I get that one sensor disabled for Smart Home / Away?

@rosenqui said:
    I moved it to another location in the same room and still got false positives last night. I'll try moving it upstairs right beside a good sensor and see how often they agree on occupancy.

I have the flakey sensor disabled in the Home & Away profiles, but it still triggers Smart Home with its false positive. How do I get that one sensor disabled for Smart Home / Away?

I don't think that is possible unless you point it to the wall etc. so it can't detect motion and only detect temperature.

I put it in an opaque storage box (in the same room) last evening and it still reported occupancy on & off during the night and this morning. I'm going to contact Ecobee support to see what they have to say.

lannister80

I opened a support ticket with ecobee and they had me put the sensor in different places over the course of a couple of days (beside a known-good sensor, in a closed box, etc). That convinced them there was a problem with the sensor so they're sending me a free replacement.

I wish it hadn't failed in the first place but I can't complain about their service.

KRUZNBY
  • briansusernamebriansusername UtahMember

I've had similar issues with a couple of my sensors. Ecobee had me run some of the same tests and determined one of them looked bad and offered to send a replacement. Before doing that, though, I decided to try replacing the battery in the sensor (even though I haven't had any low battery warnings). That seemed to help - it has been a few weeks now with no false positives. I've since done the same with another misbehaving sensor with the same apparent results.

I told ecobee support about the battery "fix" and they said, "yep, that sensor appears to be working fine now" and also "no, a low battery would not cause false positives" (not exact quotes).

So I'm not sure what to think, but anyone else with false detections might try replacing the battery. Please report back here if that helps or not!

edited March 9
  • lannister80lannister80 ChicagoMember

"no, a low battery would not cause false positives"

They're full of crap. I've seen it happen multiple times on my sensors (I have 7), and a low battery is always the cause.

I suspect I have the same low battery issue. I'm on just over 2 years on the original batteries. I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time sending in the first sensor for an RMA.

vajim
  • CheezWizCheezWiz TennesseeMember

They just replaced over 1/2 of my sensors because they started doing the same thing and replacing the batteries made no difference. These things were detecting motion when wrapped in a sock and in a drawer.

• gpzbcgpzbc Colorado, USAMember

I also had false positives and it turned out to be a low battery.

MikeyA