If you're posting a request for installation help, please provide as much info about your system as possible. For example, for help regarding connecting a smart thermostat, please include details about your system including whether you have gas/electric, heat pump, number of heat stages, A/C condenser, etc.

Can Ecobee Do This?

__Mike____Mike__ ILMember

Hi, I'm considering the purchase of an e3 along with an extra room sensor and want to make sure it can handle my needs. I have a WaterFurnace 5 Series, 3 Ton, dual capacity indoor geothermal system and I want...

1. Ability to only kick on second stage heating or cooling when temperature reads more than a 2 degree difference for over 5 (or some long amount of time) hours.

2. Ability to notify me (email?) whenever second stage heating or cooling kicks in.

3. Ability to run the fan when the difference between the basement and the main floor is greater than 2 degrees. Or, if this isn't possible, run the fan for 5 minutes every hour.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Mike

Tagged:

Answers

• kevinmcckevinmcc Macomb, ILMember
    edited July 2016
    1. Compressor Stage 1 Max Runtime can be set to 120 minutes, not over 5 hours. I have my Ecobee3 set by Temp Delta and have Compressor Stage 1 Max Runtime on 120. I have seen over 3 hour stage 1 run times. One thing I wish Ecobee was more clear on was which settings overrode what.

2. Don't believe there currently is an option by stage, maybe in future with IFTTT. If you use Temp Deltas for stages you can get an email with IFTTT if your thermostat detects a certain temperature above or below a value you set, but it is in 2 degree increments. You could set it to email you when the stage 2 delta temperature hit.

3. You can run fan for different number of minutes per hour. You can choose 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20. I have mine set to 10 minutes per hour.